6.0 Oil

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2018 at 10:07 PM, mikedeezxxx said:

Mobile 1 5W 30. That’s what’s suggested for 6.0L. For anyone concerned about warranty service, just use what they want and you won’t have to worry about it. I have a 2008 Trailblazer SS w LS2 6.0L. I’ve only ever ran Mobile 1 5W30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, Mobil 1 5w30 was what GM said I should use in my wife's 2006 Cadillac CTS.  It is even on the oil fill cap.   All that car has gotten is Pennzoil 10w30 conventional.  Although the 3.6L DOHC engine has had a bad reputation with timing chains, mine is just fine.  A 13 year old car that is still a great one and one we will keep for some time to come. Actually, according to the Petroleum Quality Institute of America, the Pennzoil conventional 10w30 pretty much is on par or even exceeds Mobil 1 in many categories.  The Pennz conventional beats M1 in NOACK volatility (by a considerable margin) and the overall additive package.  All results published and available for anyone to view online.

The Pennz conventional 10w30 can easily take on regular M1, high mileage M1, and the new M1 Annual stuff according to the PQIA. Just because GM and Mobil have  a quid pro quo thing going on doesn't make M1 the only option.  And there is plenty of 3rd party evidence to counter GM with.  Roosevelt had it right.... "there is nothing to fear but fear itself".

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

Seems that those who swear by “Mobile 1” can’t even spell it—if they had taken off their Tony Stewart t-shirts and had done a little research in the last decade, they’d have seen that Pennzoil Platinum is better. And like Cliff said, a synthetic is not always necessary.  

• Haha 1

My plan is to use the cheapest dexos1 5w30 i can find and follow the oil life monitor until my 6.0 blows up.  If that happens before 250k miles, I will concede that my strategy was suboptimal.  If it happens after 250k miles, I probably be dead or at least back to pooping my drawers like i did as a very young man and once when i was really drunk.

• Like 2

LOL!   Yeah, likely not an issue on longevity.  I expect that I will be in the same shape by the time my 6.0 has reached the end of it's useful life.