Adaptive Cruise hard to find

Hello everyone,

New 2018 Suburban Premier owner here, and am loving the truck so far. When I was shopping for a new vehicle, adaptive cruise control was on my wishlist. I was very fortunate to find one with the feature as well as all the other options I wanted, but from browsing dealer inventory within a few hundred miles of me it seemed like at least 75% of them didn't have the feature. I was just wondering about it, this is a feature you get standard on a Camry these days so it's not exactly some highly experimental new tech. It's only a $900 option, yet seems to be very rare on Suburbans and Tahoes. 

Do y'all have any thoughts about it? Also why are they so hard to find with tan interiors? The tan color is seriously beautiful. 

Finally just picked up an '18 Burb Premier too, and yes, it was very hard to find ones with Adaptive Cruise. Then I was asking the impossible for the 3.42 axle ratio also (max tow package) *and* something other than a black interior, and no other options (no sunroof or dvd systems, no power running boards, etc) :P Pretty much was looking for a needle in a haystack, but persistence paid off and found what I was looking for and just picked up last week. :) Love it so far.

• Like 2

I had same issue in 2017. I ordered mine and also got the cocoa/dark atmosphere interior..another hard find in my area. I was sold on the adaptive cruise from my '15 Denali. At first I was pissed you couldn't pick regular cruise also, but learned and trusted to love it. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 1:41 PM, S P said:

looking for a needle in a haystack

Don't even get me started on how hard it was to find one WITHOUT 22" wheels. Living in the land of the pothole, I'll take as fat of sidewalls as possible. 

I knew mine was special when I found it. 20"s, 3.42, Max Tow Package, Cocoa interior, Sun and Ent package, adaptive cruise, non-power running boards,  and pearl white to top it off. 

Seems like this sort of configuration was a lot more popular in the South than further north. 

Edited by Mandalorian
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Don't even get me started on how hard it was to find one WITHOUT 22" wheels. Living in the land of the pothole, I'll take as fat of sidewalls as possible. 

I knew mine was special when I found it. 20"s, 3.42, Max Tow Package, Cocoa interior, Sun and Ent package, adaptive cruise, non-power running boards,  and pearl white to top it off. 

Seems like this sort of configuration was a lot more popular in the South than further north. 

22's are the norm down here in south Florida. So is 2wd. Most every dealer has them loaded up with options I had no use for  having had the stuck running boards on my '15 or the open road package which is not worth it to me. Sunroof in Florida? Too hot. My daughter uses the iPad and the hotspot. I ordered mine for the lower price as not to pay up for what was useless to me. Mine was a unicorn down here. 

2017 Denali XL- adaptive cruise, standard running boards, 20" rims, cocoa/ dark atmosphere interior color. 70k sticker as opposed to a 78K sticker like everyone on the lot. 66k was invoice.

Immediately sold my rims on craigslist, bought the 22's I like, and got Michelin defenders for a perfect vibration free ride. 

I used to live in Staten Island, and I would do as you did and get 20" rims!! 22's would not last long up there without an issue!!  Yes, that frost color is popular down here. Good luck

Edited by seamus2154
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Speaking of rare, does anyone know if Suburbans/Yukon XLs with 2nd row bench seats actually exist in the wild? It's pretty common on the Tahoe/Yukon, but I've never seen a K2 Suburban/XL with it. 

I was told this had to be ordered by a customer. My salesman said no one wants that except old people with a dog! LOL  Years ago you had to look for the capt. seats second row, now it's the opposite.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 9:42 PM, Mandalorian said:

That's awesome! Yeah pretty much EVERY Suburban Premier in my neck of the woods has 22's. There was one identical to mine at the same dealership but 20's rather than the 22's. I'd have preferred that one, but the one with 20's had just been sold. So far I've been pleasantly surprised at how "good" the ride quality is with the 22's, and while it definitely has a mild case of the vibration/resonance issues, it's not bad at all and more than tolerable, and nice to know that just swapping the Bridgestones out for Michelins will probably do the trick. Mine is Pepperdust. Not my first choice exterior color but it works for me, but needed to have a non-black interior first, so had to be a little flexible somewhere. Congrats on the new ride! :) 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 10:44 PM, seamus2154 said:

Mine was a unicorn down here. 

2017 Denali XL- adaptive cruise, standard running boards, 20" rims, cocoa/ dark atmosphere interior color. 70k sticker as opposed to a 78K sticker like everyone on the lot. 66k was invoice.

Immediately sold my rims on craigslist, bought the 22's I like, and got Michelin defenders for a perfect vibration free ride. 

Wow! Very nice pickup! You can't find a Denali XL up my way for less than $78k MSRP, and most are typically $80-82k with 22" wheels and 4WD standard, and every single one I looked at had the black interior. I just kinda gave up and focused my search efforts on the Burb, which ended up paying off. :)

On 11/10/2018 at 9:38 PM, seamus2154 said:

I was told this had to be ordered by a customer. My salesman said no one wants that except old people with a dog! LOL  Years ago you had to look for the capt. seats second row, now it's the opposite.

I never saw a Burb Premier with 2nd row bench seats, but did find a used 2018 LT at Carmax with it that I test drove just for fun, while getting our traded X5 appraised. The cabin is too crammed in that configuration, IMHO. I think if you really need 8 seats you're better off getting a (shudder) minivan, unless you really need the towing and hauling capabilities of these trucks. 

The sales manager at my dealership said he thought my Premier with just Adaptive Cruise and 3.42's and the "SEY" wheels in Pepperdust/Cocoa was probably a custom order that somebody walked away from, as it would have been an atypical configuration for dealerships to order in my region. There's a few other 2018's that I looked at that also seemed to be custom orders that customers ended up not taking delivery on. I'm sure some of this is normal, but I think the availability of the 6.2 on the 2019's might have caused some of this. The 5.3 gets the job done for me. :)

1 hour ago, S P said:

I never saw a Burb Premier with 2nd row bench seats, but did find a used 2018 LT at Carmax with it that I test drove just for fun, while getting our traded X5 appraised. The cabin is too crammed in that configuration, IMHO. I think if you really need 8 seats you're better off getting a (shudder) minivan, unless you really need the towing and hauling capabilities of these trucks. 

The sales manager at my dealership said he thought my Premier with just Adaptive Cruise and 3.42's and the "SEY" wheels in Pepperdust/Cocoa was probably a custom order that somebody walked away from, as it would have been an atypical configuration for dealerships to order in my region. There's a few other 2018's that I looked at that also seemed to be custom orders that customers ended up not taking delivery on. I'm sure some of this is normal, but I think the availability of the 6.2 on the 2019's might have caused some of this. The 5.3 gets the job done for me. :)

I agree, dealers don't usually order stock that way, that was a lucky find. I don't think it's the 6.2 in the '19 is changing things. That option really gets the price up there with a Denali.  I was surprised to learn that 67% of Yukon buyers are Denali! GM is not letting anything infringe on that big profit truck. Many know there is big change coming. GM dropped the ball on the interior of the 2019 pickups. Dodge wins that prize. Ford is bringing up the rear, GM is way behind. The Navigator interior is insane in comparison to our trucks. GM has to really do something different for the Denali and Cadillac or risk losing the market that they have held for a very long time. I have always been a GM guy, but their interiors are really lacking compared to the competition. I will be sitting tight in my 2017 for a while, seems like a good one so far! 

Good luck with the new ride!  

Notice the comment about the interior....I sat in a new 2019 Denali pickup...not impressed for that money!

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/gmc/sierra-1500/2019/gmc-sierra-2019-truck-of-the-year-finalist/?wc_mid=4035:14280&wc_rid=4035:859284&_wcsid=A8CB9CB5A095AD35087BDB2EF9577EEF384367BC07DD1619

Edited by seamus2154

30 minutes ago, seamus2154 said:

I agree, dealers don't usually order stock that way, that was a lucky find. I don't think it's the 6.2 in the '19 is changing things. That option really gets the price up there with a Denali.  I was surprised to learn that 67% of Yukon buyers are Denali! GM is not letting anything infringe on that big profit truck. Many know there is big change coming. GM dropped the ball on the interior of the 2019 pickups. Dodge wins that prize. Ford is bringing up the rear, GM is way behind. The Navigator interior is insane in comparison to our trucks. GM has to really do something different for the Denali and Cadillac or risk losing the market that they have held for a very long time. I have always been a GM guy, but their interiors are really lacking compared to the competition. I will be sitting tight in my 2017 for a while, seems like a good one so far! 

Good luck with the new ride!

Oh yeah, forgot about the new Expedition/Navigator, which is funny because I RENTED one!!! It was a total let down as far as ride quality and actual cargo space with the 3rd row deployed. I couldn't believe how little space there was behind the 3rd row, not nearly as much as the Suburban, and seemed like it hardly more than a Tahoe. I think Ford is trying to differentiate a bit and dedicated a bit more space to passenger area (the sliding 2nd row seats were handy, but clunky and jammed up), but we've never felt like the Burb passenger area was inadequate while also having all the cargo space we need. The Expedition Max wastes too much space on passenger area for us and leaves us with too little cargo room, so it was pretty much a non-starter.

GM has always been bringing up the rear as far as interior design and materials, it just depends how much of a stickler you are for it. I haven't been in the new Navigator, but I'm sure the interior is amazing, as is the new BMW X7, which is what my wife actually wanted to get, except it's not nearly big enough for us. My interior quality bar is probably lower than many - I think the Burb Premier interior is just fine, that GM has come a long ways over the decades, and have thought a few recent GM rental cars (Malibus I think) have been just fine in the interior department too. Agreed that they'll need to keep up with the Navigator and others for the Denali line and up, though.

Edited by S P
  • Like 1