Front Valance (Air Dam) Trim vs Removal

I was really unhappy with the front valance before I got the suspension lift on. Not only does it seem excessively bulky below the bumper, but it reduces the approach angle so badly that I was grinding during even normal city use. There are a lot of design aspects of these trucks that are obviously attempts to increase mileage in any way possible. This is another one of those that account to not much more than eye sores.

I initially removed the valance altogether to increase my approach angle. I was afraid I was just going to end up accidentally ripping it off on the trail anyway. The valance sat in my garage for about 1,000 miles while I went back and forth on putting it back on. I noticed minimal reduction in gas mileage, but I wasn't sold on the way it looked without it. The front bumper is visually designed to have the valance below it. I decided to try something I hadn't seen yet, so I took out the Dremel. 

Cutting the valance is very intuitive. There's a distinct bevel that runs straight across it about 2/3 of the way down. The driver and passenger edges are lower, so you'll be cutting more off there than in the middle. Again just follow the natural bevel.

Step 1:

Remove the valance. There are 14-16 metric 10mm bolts that need to be removed. My model has 16. Removing these is very simple but very tedious if all you have is a socket wrench. I can't imagine the time it would take to get these off with a non-ratcheting wrench. In either case, this is your opportunity to invest in a good driver and 90° angle flex shaft attachment.

Step 2:

Lay the valance on its face/front. (I did all my work from the back side because the valance bevel is easier to follow with a Sharpie on its concave side as opposed to the convex side.) Apply one wide strip of painter's tape along the entire length of the valance. (I used green automotive tape because that's what I had on hand.) I made sure the bevel was nearly centered all the way across. Using a black Sharpie, let the natural bevel guide the marker the length of the valance. The bevel curves up at the driver and passenger side edges. This will be the only portion requiring any free-hand work. It's no more than a couple inches on both sides and is also pretty intuitive.

Step 3:

Cut along the line you made with the Sharpie using a Dremel with the plastic cutting wheel. The plastic will ball up and stick to the valance as you cut. This is no big deal as it will easily just flake right off by running your hand over it once you're complete.

Step 4:

Remove the tape once the cut is complete. Clean up the cut from the back side using a file, wire brush, rough sand paper, etc. Clean-up will be minimal. I made my entire cut in less than a minute, and I by no means have surgical precision with a Dremel wheel. I spent about 10 minutes cleaning up the cut I'd made. 

Step 5:

Replace the valance. Admire the work. Appreciate the extra 2" of clearance. 

I had kind of a 'F--- It' mentality when I did mine. I knew I didn't want the whole thing on as it came from the factory, so I was really just testing out another option with nothing to lose. I was very impressed and happy with the outcome. The entire process will take an hour if you have everything on hand. Drink beers and take it slow, and you're looking at a 2-hour project. 

I never got any good head-on pictures beforehand, but this is what it looks like trimmed. There's also a picture of a few of the 10mm bolts that need to be removed. You can see how tight the workspace is for a wrench. In the third picture I've drawn a red, dashed line along the bevel where I made my cut. 20181030_215105.thumb.jpg.c1ed90f4c8085f312d021f1a4c0c87a2.jpg

Edited by RyF
  • Like 2

Nice looks good man! I trimmed mine but I cut the sides off and left the middle on only, like I've seen others do.

5bda1ae4acf90_IMG_0881-Copy.thumb.JPG.5fe94f96e8d83b9fb2625a4ed555b6a5.JPG

I'm still not completely sold on it myself lol, so I ended up buying the high country one with the chrome insert. I am going to color match the chrome piece this week and install the whole new valance soon.

Not a new idea. Lots of people have done this before.

I considered trimming mine, as I do think it looks pretty good. However, I’ve simply taken it off, and I’m pretty sure I won’t bother trimming it, and reinstalling it. I’m happy with the appearance without it. I’d happily sell it for a few bucks if I can find a local buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, MikeLee661 said:

Nice looks good man! I trimmed mine but I cut the sides off and left the middle on only, like I've seen others do.

5bda1ae4acf90_IMG_0881-Copy.thumb.JPG.5fe94f96e8d83b9fb2625a4ed555b6a5.JPG

I'm still not completely sold on it myself lol, so I ended up buying the high country one with the chrome insert. I am going to color match the chrome piece this week and install the whole new valance soon.

Post some pictures in here of your new setup once you get it done. I'm interested to see how that comes out. I also want to figure out a factory-looking winch setup in the future. I've been looking for ideas with no success for awhile. 

I cant figure out how to post any pictures.... but stance looks better without, have not noticed any heating problem in or loss of fuel milage ... but i also put larger tires on 32.5" a cold air intake with stock box and adjustable shockes from bielstien also bout a superchip flash cal to calibrate mb y tires unlocked my afm and speed limiter.... with afm my gas milage has actually leveled out and i get way less herky jerky trans mission shifts

18 hours ago, rkj__ said:

Not a new idea. Lots of people have done this before.

I considered trimming mine, as I do think it looks pretty good. However, I’ve simply taken it off, and I’m pretty sure I won’t bother trimming it, and reinstalling it. I’m happy with the appearance without it. I’d happily sell it for a few bucks if I can find a local buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before posting here, I was only able to find two pictures of trucks with this trim job after searching through hundreds of pages. There was no explanation of what those two had done. I should have saved the pictures and put them in here as other examples, but I didn't then and can no longer find them. If you know where we can find "lots" of examples, please drop the link in here. I've found many posts about leaving it off, but the intent of this post is to provide an alternative to that. 

Here's some:

A couple more here:

Some examples in this massive thread too:

Maybe it's discussed a little less here, but lots of drivers have been doing the trim on the midsize trucks over on Coloradofans.com.  They have a tougher go, since it is difficult to access the bolt heads for removal.  Some just trim it on the truck to avoid the hassle of removal. 

I'm not trying to suggest it was wrong of you to share your thoughts and experiences, but was simply pointing out I'd seen similar before. 

Edited by rkj__

Yeah, this one from your link is pretty close. None of these are the two I'd found previously though. They were great head on comparisons. Especially with lifted or leveled trucks, the open bolt holes show on the bottom of the metal portion of the bumper. Mine were visible even before lifting. 

post-124619-0-20686600-1448883022_thumb.jpg

....I messed up and should have taken good pictures of mine with the full valance, with no valance, and with the trim job. Then all three could have been in one spot as an example. If anyone has all three, I'd appreciate it if you post them here. 

Edited by RyF
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RyF said:

Post some pictures in here of your new setup once you get it done. I'm interested to see how that comes out. I also want to figure out a factory-looking winch setup in the future. I've been looking for ideas with no success for awhile. 

Yeah definitely. The only issue I seen was the dang bolts in the middle, they looked hard to access. I am dreading removing the whole bumper.

I am aiming for this look below, the only issue next was the license plate mounting I believe they are rivets. Another thread and discussion. I don't want to mess with law on a fix it ticket lol.

IMG_0872 - Copy.JPG

4 hours ago, MikeLee661 said:

Yeah definitely. The only issue I seen was the dang bolts in the middle, they looked hard to access. I am dreading removing the whole bumper.

I am aiming for this look below, the only issue next was the license plate mounting I believe they are rivets. Another thread and discussion. I don't want to mess with law on a fix it ticket lol.

IMG_0872 - Copy.JPG

Check this out if you're planning to remove the whole bumper. It's actually super easy to take the bumper off. This link explains it well. You can also give yourself a little extra wheel space for bigger tires with this cheap mod. I did everything in less than an hour. 

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/557538-2015-bumper-mod-3.html#/topics/557538?page=5

20181101_202911.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m ready to pull the trigger on this, I got the chrome piece color matched. But this piece is a PITA to install to the valance, I feel like some of the tabs will snap if I force it. I’ve searched online and can’t find any help to install this. Might have to visit a body shop.b2287f538b9b80ae387b047aab8d918a.jpg

On 11/26/2018 at 7:55 PM, MikeLee661 said:

I’m ready to pull the trigger on this, I got the chrome piece color matched. But this piece is a PITA to install to the valance, I feel like some of the tabs will snap if I force it. I’ve searched online and can’t find any help to install this. Might have to visit a body shop.b2287f538b9b80ae387b047aab8d918a.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how this progresses for you. It should also be an entirely different look than everyone else's, which is always something to be proud of. How much will you end up paying for your transformation when it's all said and done? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RyF said:

It'll be interesting to see how this progresses for you. It should also be an entirely different look than everyone else's, which is always something to be proud of. How much will you end up paying for your transformation when it's all said and done? 

The valance was 200$ and the chrome insert was 150$, my buddy owns a powder coating shop in town I was going to have him blast it if it was aluminum or steel, but it was sadly plastic. So he took it to a body shop in town to paint it(i think they swapped work because i didn't get charged). It will definitely be a weekend job for me.

• 2 months later...

After breaking off a couple clips by hitting snow with the valance I removed mine completely. I can see with the shape of the Chevys trimming may be a better option. Only thing is I think mine would look better with the chrome center, so if a blacked out bumper wants to trade....

20181231_154050.jpg

20181231_163956.jpg

• Like 1