Why I installed 4.10 Gears -

Because of all the conversation on Differential Gear selections I decide to share what I ended up using on my truck and why, hopping this will help the next person trying to make this decision;

My truck is a 2018 4x4 Crew Cab, 5.3 engine, 6 speed auto and came with 3.42 gears.

I installed a Pro-Comp 6" lift, 20" rims with 35" Tires [Tire actual diameter is 34"]

I used the Hypertech's In-Line Speedometer Calibrator Module [7301Speedometer Calibrators Inline - Part #73012727]

to correct my speedo, FYI - Working great and easy to use.

I decided to go with 4.10 gears in the rear and 4.11 in the front.

The truck is running great with all the power and towing capacity I need [Ski Boat].

I use my truck for weekend runabouts and to get up to Tahoe and Arnold Ca. during the winter months.

I have no issues with stop light take offs or highway driving.

For me it was the best all-around choice.

There are a couple of reasons why I deiced to go with the 4.10 gears.

1] I was able to use OEM parts/gears, Chevy does make 4.10 gears for our trucks.

2] I did not have to change out any other parts within my differential for the 4.10 gears swap.

3] The 4.10 gears [with the 6sp auto] puts my engine RPM where I wanted them [70mph in OD 2000-RPM's & 5th gear at 2400 RPM +/-]

I had another 4x4 with 35" tire and 4.55 gears and the truck ran great as well but I did spin the engine up a little more.

If I was using my truck for towing a larger trailer or doing a lot of off road driving or running bigger tires I would have gone with the 4.55 gears instead.

Be honest with your self on how you will really going to use your truck, then you will be able to make the right gears selection for your self.

Have Fun -

Edited by Heritagedave
  • Like 3

Because of all the conversation on Differential Gear selections I decide to share what I ended up using on my truck and why, hopping this will help the next person trying to make this decision;

My truck is a 2018 4x4 Crew Cab, 5.3 engine, 6 speed auto and came with 3.42 gears.
I installed a Pro-Comp 6" lift, 20" rims with 35" Tires [Tire actual diameter is 34"]
I used the Hypertech's In-Line Speedometer Calibrator Module [7301Speedometer Calibrators Inline - Part #73012727]
to correct my speedo, FYI - Working great and easy to use.

I decided to go with 4.10 gears in the rear and 4.11 in the front.
The truck is running great with all the power and towing capacity I need [ski Boat].
I use my truck for weekend runabouts and to get up to Tahoe and Arnold Ca. during the winter months.
I have no issues with stop light take offs or highway driving.
For me it was the best all-around choice.

There are a couple of reasons why I deiced to go with the 4.10 gears.
1] I was able to use OEM parts/gears, Chevy does make 4.10 gears for our trucks.
2] I did not have to change out any other parts within my differential for the 4.10 gears swap.
3] The 4.10 gears [with the 6sp auto] puts my engine RPM where I wanted them [70mph in OD 2000-RPM's & 5th gear at 2400 RPM +/-]

I had another 4x4 with 35" tire and 4.55 gears and the truck ran great as well but I did spin the engine up a little more.
If I was using my truck for towing a larger trailer or doing a lot of off road driving or running bigger tires I would have gone with the 4.55 gears instead.

Be honest with your self on how you will really going to use your truck, then you will be able to make the right gears selection for your self.

Have Fun -

Hey would you go 4.10 front and rear if you had 33-1/4 all terrains? Mostly daily but goes off road every now and then. Wondering what my highway cruise and City would be like.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Interesting.  I have a 2017 2500HD and I went from 3.73 to 4.56.  My tires are advertised at a 34 but I know they run short via the tape measure.  I recalibrated my speedo with HP tuners and it is as close to perfect as you can get.  70 mph is a tick over 2100 rpm.  Transmission ratios are identical between a 80e and a 90e.  

I would not be afraid to do this gear again and if get another truck like the one I have I would do it again.

23 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Hey would you go 4.10 front and rear if you had 33-1/4 all terrains? Mostly daily but goes off road every now and then. Wondering what my highway cruise and City would be like.

What size engine, Trans type/speed  and cab does your truck have?

14 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Interesting.  I have a 2017 2500HD and I went from 3.73 to 4.56.  My tires are advertised at a 34 but I know they run short via the tape measure.  I recalibrated my speedo with HP tuners and it is as close to perfect as you can get.  70 mph is a tick over 2100 rpm.  Transmission ratios are identical between a 80e and a 90e.  

I would not be afraid to do this gear again and if get another truck like the one I have I would do it again.

Do you have a gas or diesel engine?

Between the 4.10's and the 4.56's gear there is only around 300 rpm different which can be a lot at times.

6 minutes ago, Heritagedave said:

Do you have a gas or diesel engine?

Between the 4.10's and the 4.56's gear there is only around 300 rpm different which can be a lot at times.

6 liter gas.  Diesels run an Alison 1000 with totally different ratios.  I always found it interesting half ton guys with 4.10s seem to be around 100 rpm of my truck with 4.56 lol.  

Just now, Snowcamo said:

I feel that 4.10 would be a great choice and you will feel a huge different in toque/power and it would leave you room to move up to 35" tires at a later date if you wanted to.

Bottom line is what will you really use the truck for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

6 liter gas.  Diesels run an Alison 1000 with totally different ratios.  I always found it interesting half ton guys with 4.10s seem to be around 100 rpm of my truck with 4.56 lol.  

That is interesting.

I wonder why?

20 minutes ago, Heritagedave said:

That is interesting.

I wonder why?

I don't know.  Gm lists the transmission ratios the same so it should not be that.  My tires on my truck tape about 33" tall and spec at 33.9 or so.  There is another guy on another forum with a 4.10 geared 6l80e truck (1/2 ton) and he tachs almost the same as me apparently with a 33" tire which makes zero sense.  You are lower though so that's good haha. I GPS verified mine with 2 GPS units when I set the speedo so I don't think it's wrong. Maybe the overdrive is actually ever so slightly different somehow... or I am crazy.  Hard to say at this point!

I threw my combo in my trusty rpm calculator and using a 33" tire and 70 mph with a .66 overdrive I come out at 2145 rpm.  I ran your combo with a 35 inch tire and got 1818 rpm which would make more sense and is the 300 rpm we expect.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heritagedave said:

That's a great write up. Can you also provide your total cost and time it took you? I presume you did the work yourself? How many hours of shop time would it take to have it done?

I think this would be a great post to point people to when they ask about changing gears.

I also believe its a much easier job coming from a 3.42. How much more work/$ would be required if going from 3.08?