Trans service

I’m at about 62k miles on my 2015 1500 and I’m wanting to change some fluids. Curious what the experts might have to say about trans servicing. You hear to never flush an auto because it stirs up the garbage in it and also you have to flush it because a simple drain and refill won’t do any good. Looking forward to any advice! 

• 1 month later...

Old thread I know but I've always been a believer in flushing the trans on its very first service (not a pressure flush) and replace the filter.  Every service after that only do a drain and fill.  Since trans fluid is full of cleaning agents a complete flush each time will eventually flush out deposits that are "holding things together".  It may cause slipping or shuttering, etc.  This is why you hear people say that if youve never serviced the trans and you have a high mileage vehicle to just leave it alone.

I am probably outside the norm.  I change all drive train fluids by the first 5,000 miles and get the break in wear metals out of there.  Diffs, Xfer, Trans including filter.  I do all of them at every 50,000 miles thereafter.  Each time, I do a complete trans fluid replacement along with filter.  Have never had a major driveline component failure in 48 years.   Including the 1979 Ford Bronco I had in Alaska for 10 years.  

Edited by Cowpie