Whipple Supercharger Install '17 2500hd 6.0L

This write-up is for a 2017 Chevy 2500hd 6.0l Flex Fuel.

I decided to install the Whipple Supercharger system on my truck. The Supercharger Kit comes with very quality parts that are precision made. Now, the install manual needs some definite editing due to missed steps and steps that can be performed ahead of time to save interruptions in the process.

I am editing the instruction manual to include time saving steps and will post it when completed.

The kit for my truck took 2 days which is not out of the question if your being careful. The kit includes a HP Tuners MPVI-2, supercharger w/ intercooler, intake manifold, fuel rails, heat exchanger, reservoir tank w/electric pump, new belt, tensioner with idler pulleys, MAF sensor to throttle body hoses, new 160-degree thermostat, and all the hoses and electrical wiring needed. It is a little overwhelming when I first laid it all out, but once underway (with so so instructions), everything seems to just fall into place. Granted, I have been a mechanic for over 40 years, but a person with less time can surely do this themselves with patients.

This kit uses the stock airbox set-up with a high flow filter. Other than that, most everything is new install.  

The kit uses the stock fuel pump and injectors. These items on the flex fuel are more than sufficient in supplying fuel to the engine.

The very first thing I did was read the stock files in the ECM with the HP Tuner program, then I sent the log file to Whipple via email and within 1-2 days, I received my new tune for the truck for after the supercharger install. The next steps were to drain the coolant, and begin to remove components such as: stock intake manifold, alternator, fuel rails, stock belt tensioner and idler pulley, plus more.

There were a few hiccups that occurred during the install. The kit included an older wiring harness that I had to adapt to my truck, (this truck is my daily driver, and I couldn’t wait for the correct harness), older fuse tap, defective MAP sensor (GM part, which is installed before the intake manifold due to the location on the back of the engine), and the intake bulge pipe did not fit correctly. Other than these shortcomings, the install was not very difficult. The install of the heat exchanger and reservoir tank w/ circulation pump were a little confusing and time consuming, but with proper instructions, it should go easy.

Once everything was installed, I programed the truck for the new tune. I have been having issues with the tune. After speaking with a professional tuner, I discovered the computer for the 2500/3500hd 6.0L is only used in these trucks. The tuner explained that tuning these trucks are a PITA. I have an appointment on Friday to have mine dyno tuned. The shop that I am using does quite a bit of work with Whipple and actually makes a good number of their programs.

After that long-winded explanation, I do have to say, the low-end running issue I am having trouble with gets ironed out on Friday, but the Whipple Supercharger is an amazing product and makes amazing power. I will know more of exactly how much power it is making on Friday. I can say that 20 mph to 110 mph happens before you know it, and with a wide-open throttle, you will be forced into your seat.

I will update and answer any questions.

41 minutes ago, Biggerdogg01 said:

This write-up is for a 2017 Chevy 2500hd 6.0l Flex Fuel.

I decided to install the Whipple Supercharger system on my truck. The Supercharger Kit comes with very quality parts that are precision made. Now, the install manual needs some definite editing due to missed steps and steps that can be performed ahead of time to save interruptions in the process.

I am editing the instruction manual to include time saving steps and will post it when completed.

The kit for my truck took 2 days which is not out of the question if your being careful. The kit includes a HP Tuners MPVI-2, supercharger w/ intercooler, intake manifold, fuel rails, heat exchanger, reservoir tank w/electric pump, new belt, tensioner with idler pulleys, MAF sensor to throttle body hoses, new 160-degree thermostat, and all the hoses and electrical wiring needed. It is a little overwhelming when I first laid it all out, but once underway (with so so instructions), everything seems to just fall into place. Granted, I have been a mechanic for over 40 years, but a person with less time can surely do this themselves with patients.

This kit uses the stock airbox set-up with a high flow filter. Other than that, most everything is new install.  

The kit uses the stock fuel pump and injectors. These items on the flex fuel are more than sufficient in supplying fuel to the engine.

The very first thing I did was read the stock files in the ECM with the HP Tuner program, then I sent the log file to Whipple via email and within 1-2 days, I received my new tune for the truck for after the supercharger install. The next steps were to drain the coolant, and begin to remove components such as: stock intake manifold, alternator, fuel rails, stock belt tensioner and idler pulley, plus more.

There were a few hiccups that occurred during the install. The kit included an older wiring harness that I had to adapt to my truck, (this truck is my daily driver, and I couldn’t wait for the correct harness), older fuse tap, defective MAP sensor (GM part, which is installed before the intake manifold due to the location on the back of the engine), and the intake bulge pipe did not fit correctly. Other than these shortcomings, the install was not very difficult. The install of the heat exchanger and reservoir tank w/ circulation pump were a little confusing and time consuming, but with proper instructions, it should go easy.

Once everything was installed, I programed the truck for the new tune. I have been having issues with the tune. After speaking with a professional tuner, I discovered the computer for the 2500/3500hd 6.0L is only used in these trucks. The tuner explained that tuning these trucks are a PITA. I have an appointment on Friday to have mine dyno tuned. The shop that I am using does quite a bit of work with Whipple and actually makes a good number of their programs.

After that long-winded explanation, I do have to say, the low-end running issue I am having trouble with gets ironed out on Friday, but the Whipple Supercharger is an amazing product and makes amazing power. I will know more of exactly how much power it is making on Friday. I can say that 20 mph to 110 mph happens before you know it, and with a wide-open throttle, you will be forced into your seat.

I will update and answer any questions.

Yep.... this is the exact reason I advise against working on these gas engine HD's since 2011.  I have a cam for mine but I am not installing it.  I have ghost timing issues I can't fix on the stock tune.... let alone start really messing with airflow and the VE table.   Not to mention I can completely re-write a table and it doesn't respond to the changes lol Two guys I have read write ups on tore their blowers off and sold them.  One used a Magnusson kit and it never ran right with part throttle surging.  The other used a CTS V blower and had more or less the same issues.  

Hopefully you get it to work and there is some hope!  I don't know if HP has updated anything for support in any of the new releases but I have my doubts with such a limited market.

Edited by SierraHD17

3 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

What trans? And map is relocated to pre charger? How does it see boost? Is your tuner using your credits to tune? Interesting it has a lower thermostat. How much boost I want to guess the dyno number. 

Not totally sure what you mean but it being an hd means its still the LS based motor if i remember right. Not thr LT platform like we have

5 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

What trans? And map is relocated to pre charger? How does it see boost? Is your tuner using your credits to tune? Interesting it has a lower thermostat. How much boost I want to guess the dyno number. 

E78A ecm.  Look it up on HP or Efilive and realize there is diddly squat for support for it.  No it's not like tuning an E38 or an E92.  It looks the same table wise as an E92 kind of but you are lucky if the table actually works.

He's an L96 6 liter with a 6L90e like the rest of the HD's.  Should be in the HD truck section of the forum and not the half ton stuff.

Edited by SierraHD17

I am anxious to see what this tuner can do. He does tunes for Whipple and HP, but he designs his own tunes. He and his crew on occasion tune for NHRA drivers, so he is very capable. I will not talk bad about this product until I have the expert work his magic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have attached the Dyno Results from my Supercharged Silverado. I hope you can all see that this engine and ECM have the ability to be tuned. I am very capable of installing this kit, but leave the fine tuning to the experts. Some may think they are experts at tuning, but use a reliable source, you will be extremely happy with your purchase.

By the way, these dyno results were the next to last run, the final numbers were  438hp, 429lb-ft.

After the dyno tune, it was determined that I need to install a JMS Voltage Booster for the fuel pump. The proper voltage should be between 14-17 volts, but intermittently, we observed 11-12v which is not allowing full power, so it will be interesting to see what the total HP will be with the booster installed.

Dyno Tune 12-21-18.pdf

12-21-18 dynochart1.pdf

12-21-18 dynochart2.pdf

Edited by Biggerdogg01

2 hours ago, Biggerdogg01 said:

I have attached the Dyno Results from my Supercharged Silverado. I hope you can all see that this engine and ECM have the ability to be tuned. I am very capable of installing this kit, but leave the fine tuning to the experts. Some may think they are experts at tuning, but use a reliable source, you will be extremely happy with your purchase.

By the way, these dyno results were the next to last run, the final numbers were  438hp, 429lb-ft.

After the dyno tune, it was determined that I need to install a JMS Voltage Booster for the fuel pump. The proper voltage should be between 14-17 volts, but intermittently, we observed 11-12v which is not allowing full power, so it will be interesting to see what the total HP will be with the booster installed.

Dyno Tune 12-21-18.pdf

12-21-18 dynochart1.pdf

12-21-18 dynochart2.pdf

Were you using the stock 6ish psi pulley? Great numbers

1 hour ago, cmysstailights said:

Nice gains. This was on stock injectors and stock fuel.pump? Wonder what my numbers would be on e85 and headers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes, stock injectors and stock fuel pump. The flex fuel injectors flow very well, no need to change and the fuel pump will support up to 800hp.

• Like 1