CAB SWAP

Hello everyone,

I am trying to search for the chassis dimensions on a 2017 Chevy silverado 1500 crew cab with short bed. I am searching the possibility of swapping extended cab for the crew cab, including the bed. I have found that the lenght of the chassis of both versions is the same, but I do not know if wheelbase, cab and bed anchor points are the same in both versions (I own a 2017 chevy silverado 1500 WT, extended cab). I would like to review these information if available before I start searching for the crew cab availability and price. Any help will be greatly appreciated !!!!

BajaKing

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2018 at 1:54 PM, dieselfan1 said:

That sounds like a lot of work and money even if it does fit

Just trade it in on what you want 

Thanks Dieselfan for the prompt response,

But down here In Mexico, Truck prices are so high that is not an option for me, besides living on the border with USA it is easier for me to find the parts and do the swap if I do not have to cut and weld the chassis, since only will be labor, and I will do it. Besides, I have found that I can buy a double cab for less than a $1000 USD (Tapatio autoparts in San Diego CA has it, and they sell for cheap, since you have to remove the parts you want). For the research I have done so far, I can upgrade my extended cab truck for a crew cab truck for less than $2000 USD. But it is key to make sure first to find chassis dimensions before starting to buy parts. Will keep you post on this project as long as I find more information.

BajaKing

Edited by Eliot
missing words

6 hours ago, Eliot said:

Thanks Dieselfan for the prompt response,

But down here In Mexico, Truck prices are so high that is not an option for me, besides living on the border with USA it is easier for me to find the parts and do the swap if I do not have to cut and weld the chassis, since only will be labor, and I will do it. Besides, I have found that I can buy a double cab for less than a $1000 USD (Tapatio autoparts in San Diego CA has it, and they sell for cheap, since you have to remove the parts you want). For the research I have done so far, I can upgrade my extended cab truck for a crew cab truck for less than $2000 USD. But it is key to make sure first to find chassis dimensions before starting to buy parts. Will keep you post on this project as long as I find more information.

BajaKing

I doubt it’ll be 2,000 out of your pocket.  You’ll need the interior 100% and I doubt any used parts company is going to sell and entire cab and bed with all the interior intact.  You’re talking an easy 8-10k in aftermarket resell for a junkyard parted out. 

Youll still need to rear seats, belts.  You’ll need to rerun the entire wiring harness and electronics.   

Everything but maybe the suspension motor motor and transmission would have to come off.  The only thing I’d double check if you’re still going to do it is if the body mounts are in the same locations.

BajaKing,

Below is a link for the GM Upfitter with more frame dimensions than I have time to check out. Take some time to study it and I am sure you will find most of the measurements you are looking for.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/756/2017_LD_FS_CK_PU_102116.pdf

These late model truck frames are designed to be sectioned when damaged and those procedures are outlined in parts of the Upfitter. Maybe a frame back half would be a route to consider ??

I have friends from Tampico who are now naturalized American Citizens and I always enjoy talking with Raymond about what is possible south of the border. Reminds me of what my Dad and I used to do when I was in my teens and early twenties !!  A man with cutting and welding skills can build just about anything out of steel.  It just takes a little time and planning.

Good luck with your project and please keep us posted !!

• Like 1

On 31/12/2018 at 8:03 PM, Barman84 said:

I doubt it’ll be 2,000 out of your pocket.  You’ll need the interior 100% and I doubt any used parts company is going to sell and entire cab and bed with all the interior intact.  You’re talking an easy 8-10k in aftermarket resell for a junkyard parted out. 

Youll still need to rear seats, belts.  You’ll need to rerun the entire wiring harness and electronics.   

Everything but maybe the suspension motor motor and transmission would have to come off.  The only thing I’d double check if you’re still going to do it is if the body mounts are in the same locations.

Hey Barman84,

Thnaks for you input on this project, for me it is very helpfull to read other´s comments and inputs on costs and above all technical information on this matter. Still have to list all parts required and its price for this project, One thing for sure, is that, I will use all the parts of my extended cab that fit on the crew cab to save as much money as I can. I am pretty sure it  can be done for cheap since I have done electronics upgrades on this truck for very low price (This truck had the IO3 system and upgraded to IO6 for $300USD (Including, programming, and all modules required) and is working like factory installed). Will keep you posted.  

BajaKing

On 31/12/2018 at 8:39 PM, Enough said:

BajaKing,

Below is a link for the GM Upfitter with more frame dimensions than I have time to check out. Take some time to study it and I am sure you will find most of the measurements you are looking for.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/756/2017_LD_FS_CK_PU_102116.pdf

These late model truck frames are designed to be sectioned when damaged and those procedures are outlined in parts of the Upfitter. Maybe a frame back half would be a route to consider ??

I have friends from Tampico who are now naturalized American Citizens and I always enjoy talking with Raymond about what is possible south of the border. Reminds me of what my Dad and I used to do when I was in my teens and early twenties !!  A man with cutting and welding skills can build just about anything out of steel.  It just takes a little time and planning.

Good luck with your project and please keep us posted !!

Thanks a lot for the helpfull info!!!!

it is a great start!!!!

Do you have a friend with a crew cab ? If so put them side by side and spend some time going back and forth under them with a tape measure and an open mind. You may see something very quickly that would show that the swap can or cannot be done because of differences in the position of the rise of the rear of the frame. If it rises directly behind the double cab there won’t be enough room for the crew cab without major modifications.

Concern yourself with the physical differences in frame and body. Interior stuff like seats and carpeting is easy . 

Best of luck !!

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2019 at 1:16 PM, Enough said:

Do you have a friend with a crew cab ? If so put them side by side and spend some time going back and forth under them with a tape measure and an open mind. You may see something very quickly that would show that the swap can or cannot be done because of differences in the position of the rise of the rear of the frame. If it rises directly behind the double cab there won’t be enough room for the crew cab without major modifications.

Concern yourself with the physical differences in frame and body. Interior stuff like seats and carpeting is easy . 

Best of luck !!

Hi Enough,

Yes I have a very good friend (Compadre) who owns a 2019 Silverado 1500 crew cab, and is willing to share his truck for any measurement I might need to perform, but unfortunatedly for me, I am very busy starting a businnes and will have to put in hold this project probably until next year. I will let you know when I resume this project since this is something I will definitely do. I am sure this project is doable and will open the door for many other who want silverado´s new body, which I leked a lot.

Regards and thanks for all the great input!!!

BajaKing. 

Eliot,

Best of luck with your new business venture !  When it becomes a success buy a new factory built crew cab !!

When you first started this post you were talking about  comparable trucks built on the same platform. The 2017 and 2019 are very different trucks which will further complicate your efforts. Anything is possible but i would re-consider your options.

You have a year to think about it !!