Bangs into gear/delayed transmission engagement

I'm having a problem with my 2016 Silverado 4x4 with a locking differential and 4.3 V6 engine. Not sure if it's the transmission or the locking differential but sometimes when I shift from park to drive or reverse to drive and start to take off the engine will rev like it's in neutral and then bang into gear. Has anyone had this problem or have an idea what's going on?

30 minutes ago, jjcamper said:

I'm having a problem with my 2016 Silverado 4x4 with a locking differential and 4.3 V6 engine. Not sure if it's the transmission or the locking differential but sometimes when I shift from park to drive or reverse to drive and start to take off the engine will rev like it's in neutral and then bang into gear. Has anyone had this problem or have an idea what's going on?

Lots of discussion, check out this thread:

Yes. Same problem every morning at the end of my driveway. I back out in Reverse, shift to Drive, and it spins free for a while before catching and driving forward. Explanation from the dealer is the torque converter and fluid getting moved around incorrectly. Also mentioned they are finding lots of water in the sealed 8speeds in higher mileage Camaros and Silverados. He said i could take it into the service department, but they won't likely have a full fix for this issue until mid 2019. Added that this is a significant issue for the Camaro 8speeds  as well and that their fix is coming first, then the trucks. 

6 minutes ago, ftwhite said:

Yes. Same problem every morning at the end of my driveway. I back out in Reverse, shift to Drive, and it spins free for a while before catching and driving forward. Explanation from the dealer is the torque converter and fluid getting moved around incorrectly. Also mentioned they are finding lots of water in the sealed 8speeds in higher mileage Camaros and Silverados. He said i could take it into the service department, but they won't likely have a full fix for this issue until mid 2019. Added that this is a significant issue for the Camaro 8speeds  as well and that their fix is coming first, then the trucks. 

Where did you buy the truck?

Montana. Karl Tyler. Live in Redmond, WA though. Local dealer is Lee Johnson. Sales guy at Lee Johnson gave me the insight while I was getting an oil change and browsing the 2019s.

Edited by ftwhite

3 hours ago, jjcamper said:

So...the motor REVS on it's own while passing through neutral. You mean higher than 'normal' hot idle speed or just 'like' in neutral?

Is this during the warm up high idle period or will it do it as well fully warmed up?  Hot idle speed is just under 600 rpm and that shouldn't BANG anything. Mild clunk maybe; but not BANG like a neutral drop shift. Your starting to lay into the pedal before the gear has been fully engaged? Like 'hook'n a J"? 

Simple questions maybe but when someone asks why there computer wont start I ask if it's plugged in...and once in a while get a D'oh!

No the motor is not revving on it's own. It does feel like I'm doing a neutral drop, I did plenty of those back 40 yrs ago. When I put it in drive and after it's fully engaged I mash on the accelerator and it revs up and bangs into gear just like a stall converter. So I'm thinking the torque converter is going out. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

17 hours ago, jjcamper said:

No the motor is not revving on it's own. It does feel like I'm doing a neutral drop, I did plenty of those back 40 yrs ago. When I put it in drive and after it's fully engaged I mash on the accelerator and it revs up and bangs into gear just like a stall converter. So I'm thinking the torque converter is going out. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

And if you ease in to it? 

On 12/29/2018 at 6:50 PM, ftwhite said:

Montana. Karl Tyler. Live in Redmond, WA though. Local dealer is Lee Johnson. Sales guy at Lee Johnson gave me the insight while I was getting an oil change and browsing the 2019s.

Mine came from Eisenger motors in Kalispell. The 8 speed in this one has been really good, my 16 was starting to show all of the signs that everyone complains about. Surprised a dealership employee would share this info, most of the service techs have never heard of any of the problems. Do you know the sales person well?

Edited by JimCost2014

Mine came from Eisenger motors in Kalispell. The 8 speed in this one has been really good, my 16 was starting to show all of the signs that everyone complains about. Surprised a dealership employee would share this info, most of the service techs have never heard of any of the problems. Do you know the sales person well?
No, not a friend. Maybe being honest with insider knowledge, or maybe just sharing the 2019 sales pitch line...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/07/gm-8-speed-automatic-enhanced-for-2019-silverado-sierra/#ixzz5Ow567IkC

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

When I said "mash the accelerator" I didn't mean floor it, just taking off normal. When I ease into it real slow it revs a little then kind of jerks and grabs. It doesn't do it all the time. I'm trying to pinpoint when it does it the most.  My truck has the six speed transmission. Most of the problems that I see on here are with the eight speed. Mine has no shudder and shake, no problems shifting, just the problem on take off.

Edited by jjcamper

10 hours ago, ftwhite said:

No, not a friend. Maybe being honest with insider knowledge, or maybe just sharing the 2019 sales pitch line...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/07/gm-8-speed-automatic-enhanced-for-2019-silverado-sierra/#ixzz5Ow567IkC

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Always a good time to up sale, you are trapped there and our trucks are not getting any younger in car age.....

• 2 weeks later...

I previously posted about this under the title "Bangs into Gear". 2016 Silverado 4x4 4.3, 6 speed trans with 24000 miles. Sometimes when shifting from park to drive or reverse to drive the transmission doesn't engage in drive and when I go to accelerate the engine revs up and bangs into gear like a stall converter. And no I am not giving it gas before I put it in gear. It only does it after the transmission fluid temp gets above 130 degrees. I took it in for service at the local GM dealer and they said it is operating as designed and that I need to wait 3 seconds after putting it in gear before accelerating. Wait 3 seconds?! Does anybody do that?! It's amazing what they come up with to get out of fixing something.

• Like 1