Tried Range AFM, Bought SCT X4 (Returned it). Now Loving My DiabloSport Intune i3

When I bought my 2014 High Country in 2016, the first two 'upgrades' were a K&N air filter and a Flowmaster Force II Dual cat-back exhaust.  K&N because everything I drive has K&N.  Flowmaster because I wanted the sound of dual exhaust.  I had no idea that I would then have to address the AFM drone with the Flowmaster system.  It was silent on the stock exhaust since it had the 'valve' after the muffler.  But the truck was too QUIET for my taste.  From there, I started my quest to address the AFM drone.  I realized that the only way to eliminate the drone with the Flowmaster system was to keep the engine in V8 mode.  First, I tried selecting M5 whenever I put the truck in gear.  That got tiresome... I wanted to use 6th gear!  Then I happened upon the Range AFM disabler.  $200 later and I figured I had the answer.... for all of 1 week.  Then, the trouble codes, no-starts and battery drain became issues.  I had to remove the Range every so often.  Then, sometimes, it would go a whole week before it had an issue.  Usually, the truck just wouldn't start.  Or, it wouldn't start and it would flash a message about the brake system having an issue, or the trailer brake having an issue.  So, I removed it, drove in M5, drove in D and tolerated the drone or put the Range back in.  Never happy.

Last week, I ordered the SCT X4 tuner thinking it could drop a 'tune' into my computer to remove the AFM.  It can... with a catch.  You have to buy a separate tune!!!  So, I spend $400 for the device to find out that, for another $165 (or $325 if I want all of the other good tweaks), I can get a tune that turns AFM mode OFF.  So, I currently have a new $400 paper weight.  

I failed to mention that somewhere along the way, I spent $250 on that GM Performance Borla muffler.  I have my (cut) OEM exhaust on a shelf in the garage with the flapper valve.  That GM Borla muffler is looking better every day... for $250 installed!!!   

I miss my 2003 Silverado that never had AFM. It had the K&N and a nice single outlet Borla exhaust.  But, it was showing its age with transmission issues and an obsolete and aging sound system. :(

Edited by TedH

I started off with my truck getting an Edge CTS2 Evolution. This had the nice screen to show parameters etc but also had the canned tunes in them, and each one had the ability to turn off AFM. However I wanted a real tune, so I ended up getting a SCT BDX from 5 Star Tuning and got 3 custom tunes, all have AFM deleted.

I got my buddy into a Diablo Sport AFM turn off, its like the Range disabler. He hasn't had any issues that I know of.

After getting the two quotes from the tuner ($165 and $325) and offer from the seller of $70 for a device with the AFM-disable ($470 total), I am just returning the SCT X4 and performing more/better research on solutions.  For now, I will just run the Range AFM when I get sick of driving around in M5 until I find the best, reasonable solution.

On 1/21/2019 at 6:39 PM, AtlasFBG2 said:

Could have bought a Superchips tuner for about $170 to turn off AFM

Tell me more about this Superchips tuner.  Is there a model or part number specific to the 2014 Silverado 5.3L?

4 hours ago, TedH said:

Tell me more about this Superchips tuner.  Is there a model or part number specific to the 2014 Silverado 5.3L?

They are currently on ebay for $140 direct from the manufacture.  www.superchips.com

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superchips-FlashPaq-F5-2845-99-18-GM-Gas-Diesel-Sierra-Silverado-1500-2500-3500/263443640668?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D1f0fb3240c5a46cfa01b25b193223802%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D153329554057%26itm%3D263443640668&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Also you could send the Range device In for a update. I believe version 8.6 fixed all the issues people was having with the range devices. 

Edited by AtlasFBG2

Yikes - you could have done it right with a HP Tuners MPVI2 + 2 credits (all that is needed for a '14 - '16 truck).  $400 to have easily the best and most feature rich tuner available.  Or spend a little less on the handhelds that can't do nearly as much.  Pretty easy choice...

I returned the SCT X4 tuner for a full refund.  The one I had received was not for my application (2014 Silverado 5.3L).  Have ordered a Diablsport intune I3 (50-state).  I plan to disable AFM and then toy with the 87-octane tune and shift point firmness available out of the box.  Not planning to buy a tune map.  Hoping to permanently retire the Range AFM unit.  

I returned the SCT unit for a full refund of the $399.  I forgot to mention one other issue with the SCT X3:  It would not install fully on my Windows 10 machine.  I had to use my old Windows XP machine.  That and the tune shortcomings really soured me on SCT products.  

I ordered the DiabloSport Intune i3.   It arrived Friday.  Today, I installed the software on my (Windows 10) notebook computer and made sure the device had its latest updates.  Then, I got acquainted with the unit while it was plugged into the OBD 2 port of the Silverado.  Once I figured out the navigation and got around the 'clunkiness' of the handheld unit (the touch screen is not as responsive as my iPhone), I found the option to toggle AFM/DOD On/Off.  Selected Off, confirmed it and it updated the ECM and TCM programming on the Silverado.  Took the truck for a spin and it now stays in V8 mode full-time.  

The $200 Range AFM OBD2 module is now an artifact in the center drawer of my desk.  The DiabloSport Intune i3 is well worth the $379 price (free shipping).  And, I have yet to lay down the 87-octane performance tune from the Diablo.  Wish I had trusted and researched the Diablo and other tuner products back in 2016 when I was an AFM novice.   It will be nice to no longer have to deal with the AFM throwing trouble codes, draining the battery and essentially being a nuisance (having to remember to remove it from the port). 

Full-time V8 mode!!!  I found the promised land!  YAY!!!

Edited by TedH

• TedH changed the title to Tried Range AFM, Bought SCT X4 (Returned it). Now Loving My DiabloSport Intune i3
8 hours ago, TedH said:

I returned the SCT unit for a full refund of the $399.  I forgot to mention one other issue with the SCT X3:  It would not install fully on my Windows 10 machine.  I had to use my old Windows XP machine.  That and the tune shortcomings really soured me on SCT products.  

I ordered the DiabloSport Intune i3.   It arrived Friday.  Today, I installed the software on my (Windows 10) notebook computer and made sure the device had its latest updates.  Then, I got acquainted with the unit while it was plugged into the OBD 2 port of the Silverado.  Once I figured out the navigation and got around the 'clunkiness' of the handheld unit (the touch screen is not as responsive as my iPhone), I found the option to toggle AFM/DOD On/Off.  Selected Off, confirmed it and it updated the ECM and TCM programming on the Silverado.  Took the truck for a spin and it now stays in V8 mode full-time.  

The $200 Range AFM OBD2 module is now an artifact in the center drawer of my desk.  The DiabloSport Intune i3 is well worth the $379 price (free shipping).  And, I have yet to lay down the 87-octane performance tune from the Diablo.  Wish I had trusted and researched the Diablo and other tuner products back in 2016 when I was an AFM novice.   It will be nice to no longer have to deal with the AFM throwing trouble codes, draining the battery and essentially being a nuisance (having to remember to remove it from the port). 

Full-time V8 mode!!!  I found the promised land!  YAY!!!

My last 2 tuners were from Diablo, great products. Currently using the i3 as well and reached out to Lew (Google DiabLew) for a custom tune and he took the truck to another level of performance. Phenomenal throttle response and smooth/fast shifts. His custom tunes are $150 and include a year of unlimited support.

• Like 2