Silverado/Sierra vs. Tahoe/Yukon

Pickup or SUV?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Silverado/Sierra or Tahoe/Yukon?

• Silverado/Sierra
    • Tahoe/Yukon

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm looking for some advice so I'll give you truck experts the long-story-long version in the hopes of getting your honest input.

My wife and I just bought a house so I'm thinking now is the time to sell one of our compact cars and buy something more practical.  We want to eventually buy a travel trailer so I'm looking at full-size, body on frame 4x4s.  I was thinking a pickup truck but my garage is only 19'3" long, so I'd have to park it outside, which led me to look at full-size SUVs as well.  I'm in Canada, by the way (so don't freak out about the prices you see below).

Options/Features that are important to me:

Running boards

Heated front bucket seats with centre console

Ability to tow a decent-size travel trailer (~25-30', say ~5000+ lbs.) through the mountains in the dead of summer

After months of research, I essentially have it narrowed down to 2 vehicles (everything done based on 2019s for simplicity), though I'd be open to a new 2018 if I can still find one once I'm ready to buy:

Option 1:

Tahoe LT/Yukon SLT

4WD

5.3L V8

6 speed auto

Max trailering package with 3.42 rear axle ratio and air leveller suspension

~$71k (average between the two)

Option 2:

Silverado RST/Sierra Elevation

Crew cab short bed

4WD

5.3L V8 with DFM

8 speed auto

Convenience Package with Bucket Seats

Max Trailering Package with 3.42 rear axle ratio

Assist steps

~$54k

Other considerations:

This vehicle will be my daily but my commute to work is ~15 minutes within the city.  Also, we do quite a bit of camping in bear country so, during the period of time before we get a trailer and are still tenting, I would get a canopy if I went with the pickup (also to maximise space and avoid needing to shovel out the bed when it snows).

Advantages of the Tahoe/Yukon:

Should fit in my garage

Air leveller suspension

More room for passengers (the wife and I are only planning to have 2 kids but with an SUV I could theoretically take up to 7 kids somewhere vs. 4 in a pickup)

More space for stuff that you want to transport in the cab - large electronics and other sensitive/delicate items, groceries, etc.

Could buy this year.  If I decide on the pickup, I would either try to find a 2018 Sierra SLE if there are any left around here or wait until 2020 to let them work out the kinks with the new 5.3 DFM and 8-speed

Advantages of the Silverado/Sierra:

8-speed auto (2019) or 3.73 rear axle ratio (2018)

More space for gear/hauling stuff

Easier towing

Much lower price

Far fewer instances of vibration or bouncy ride causing motion sickness reported on here (though I'm aware of the need to check for the "Chevy shake" during a test drive)

No chance of being mistaken for a minivan

I will also post this question in the Tahoe/Yukon section of this forum in case there are different folks with different perspectives cruising that section.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, you did post in the truck forum... [emoji2]

Regardless, here’s my take, for what it’s worth. I’ve driven mid-sized SUVs for ages until coming over to a full sized pickup. Chevy trailblazer, BMW X5 diesel, Audi Q5. Family of four with two small boys in (huge) car seats, btw. I bought a crew cab pickup when I finally realized I just couldn’t cram what I wanted into the back of the SUV any more. Either it was too big, too dirty, or just too awkward to lift. And then we got a boat.

SUVs have their virtues, like fully enclosed cargo, more compliant ride, usually more upscale interiors and goodies. They’re really nice.

But a full size crew cab pickup gets you (usually) better towing, more versatile cargo options and these days just as good a ride as anything. Toss on a good bed cover and you have reasonable (but not perfect ) weather protection for the bed. The crew cab accommodates the boys safety seats with room to spare. The rear seat is very generous for adults as well. Crew cab short box is just a super versatile configuration. I love it.

I’m anxious to see everyone else’s comments as well.

Either way, best of luck!

M.

• Like 2

I vote for the silverado/sierra. I had a smaller SUV (GMC Envoy) prior to my silverado and it worked alright until I bought a house. I could barely fit a sheet of drywall, 2x4's and tons of other items in the back of my Envoy so I decided it was time to get rid of it. Plus the frame had rust holes on it and other lines were starting to rust and I didn't want to deal with the expense to repair the frame every year and to replace the lines.

Going from a SUV to a truck is a difference. One nice thing with a SUV is that it's very hard to get water in the back when you are hauling stuff. I have a truck cap on my silverado and it is one of the shitty ranch caps. It leaks water and snow in the bed right towards the rear and if it rains really hard it will leak water in the side windows if the wind is forcing the rain from the sides. The locks also suck ass on the cap and I have to oil them and beat on them with a hammer to get the lock to work. In the summer the locks work fine but in the cold forget about locking the damn thing up.

Since I do have a pickup though that has the high and low spots in the bed I could keep my clothes and other items like that dry in the bed by putting down a sheet of plywood or something since the water that does make it's way in (it isn't much but still something) will just stay in the low areas of the bed channels and drain out. I also prefer to keep the items I want dry to the very far end of the bed near the cab. Having a truck is nice since you don't have to worry about trashing your interior when you get lumber, drywall or anything else that can scratch up the interior or make it a dusty mess. I just get a broom or if needed hose down the bed and it's good as new again.

Double check your garage size for the silverado. My garage is a 2.5 car garage and I barely fit in there for height with the BFG KO2's on there now and my truck cap. The cap at the very back end only gives me half an inch of clearance. The length since I have a double cab with a 6.5' bed barely fits but I do have a workbench in the back of the garage that was a lot bigger but I knocked it down in size so I could pull my truck in and work on it in the garage if needed. I never park it in the garage unless I am working on it though and it's crappy outside. My next project is to get a lift in the garage so I can hoist up the cap if I ever need to haul really large items I cannot lay on their side so I can remove the cap as needed.

If you do get a silverado/sierra with a crew cab/short bed configuration you will be able to get a 6.5' bed length with the tailgate down. I have the standard bed so I can get 8' of length with the tailgate down. Haven't had a need arise for that but just putting it out there for you.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kickass audio said:

Going from a SUV to a truck is a difference. One nice thing with a SUV is that it's very hard to get water in the back when you are hauling stuff. I have a truck cap on my silverado and it is one of the shitty ranch caps. It leaks water and snow in the bed right towards the rear and if it rains really hard it will leak water in the side windows if the wind is forcing the rain from the sides. The locks also suck ass on the cap and I have to oil them and beat on them with a hammer to get the lock to work. In the summer the locks work fine but in the cold forget about locking the damn thing up.

Since I do have a pickup though that has the high and low spots in the bed I could keep my clothes and other items like that dry in the bed by putting down a sheet of plywood or something since the water that does make it's way in (it isn't much but still something) will just stay in the low areas of the bed channels and drain out. I also prefer to keep the items I want dry to the very far end of the bed near the cab. Having a truck is nice since you don't have to worry about trashing your interior when you get lumber, drywall or anything else that can scratch up the interior or make it a dusty mess. I just get a broom or if needed hose down the bed and it's good as new again.

Double check your garage size for the silverado. My garage is a 2.5 car garage and I barely fit in there for height with the BFG KO2's on there now and my truck cap. The cap at the very back end only gives me half an inch of clearance. The length since I have a double cab with a 6.5' bed barely fits but I do have a workbench in the back of the garage that was a lot bigger but I knocked it down in size so I could pull my truck in and work on it in the garage if needed. I never park it in the garage unless I am working on it though and it's crappy outside. My next project is to get a lift in the garage so I can hoist up the cap if I ever need to haul really large items I cannot lay on their side so I can remove the cap as needed.

I measured the garage a few times and I also had my father-in-law pull his 2011 F-150 extended cab standard box in to check if it would fit.  Unfortunately, with the front bumper against the drywall at the front of the garage, the back bumper was just sticking out past the door - and I think trucks have only gotten longer since 2011.

I'm also not aware of my father-in-law having any issues with either water ingress or locks sticking with his Leer cap but his truck actually fits in his garage so it's not out in the snow and rain too much.

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

Don't know if you have mulch up there, but here in Florida, I'm loading mulch in our Odyssey with the seats out or the Outback multiple times a year. Buying a 19 Silverado in the next month or two. It's a must have as a home owner. 

• Like 2

"Been there, done that" Unless money is not an issue, you will not find $17+k worth of advantages going the Tahoe/Yukon route.   You will actually find the crew cab much more useful and fun to own.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I measured the garage a few times and I also had my father-in-law pull his 2011 F-150 extended cab standard box in to check if it would fit.  Unfortunately, with the front bumper against the drywall at the front of the garage, the back bumper was just sticking out past the door - and I think trucks have only gotten longer since 2011.

I'm also not aware of my father-in-law having any issues with either water ingress or locks sticking with his Leer cap but his truck actually fits in his garage so it's not out in the snow and rain too much.

We have both, better ride quality in the Tahoe, ability to haul more people. But like above posters mentioned, anything that would be hauled in the back of a truck, garbage, yard waste, house stuff, will be in the enclosed cab of the SUV, and you will not get the smells out. You will adapt to the smaller inside of a truck and learn to utilize the bed more, and if you buy it, you will figure out how to make it fit in your garage.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

You must have a really small garage then. For me being in the north I never plan to park in the garage. For one it would be nice so I don't have to brush off the snow but at the same time I would be getting in a cold truck that I could not run for a few minutes to warm up the coolant so I have some heat. Also garage queens are pointless up here since you drive in all the salt that destroys your vehicles and you still have to brush your car off when you are out somewhere and park like going shopping. 

I still like the price of my Silverado (26k when I bought it almost 2 years ago used from a lease) and the versatility of it.

Leer and Are caps are the best ones out there. I did not buy the cap myself, it just came with the truck along with floor mats, a chrome stick on accent for the tailgate handle, running boards and a spray in bed liner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kickass audio said:

You must have a really small garage then.

The garage is short but wide.  19' x 22'.  The trend around here seems to be small attached garages, though mine is much wider than most others I've seen. I only saw one that was bigger and it was big enough that the guy had a boat on one side and still looked like room for 2 vehicles.  Too bad the rest of that house was not very nice.

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

24 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

We have both, better ride quality in the Tahoe, ability to haul more people. But like above posters mentioned, anything that would be hauled in the back of a truck, garbage, yard waste, house stuff, will be in the enclosed cab of the SUV, and you will not get the smells out. You will adapt to the smaller inside of a truck and learn to utilize the bed more, and if you buy it, you will figure out how to make it fit in your garage.

I'm sure it would fit if the wife were willing to park her car outside...as if that's going to happen... haha

I’ve had both and currently have a Silverado. The Tahoe was great but I had a full size pick up too for the Home Depot and other stuff that I didn’t want to put in the back of my 70k SUV. My salesman said to me once, “ Do you use the third row?” Me, No, “ Then why pay 10-20k more for space you don’t use when you can use the back of the truck for your dirty work and still basically ride in a Tahoe inside with just less seating” He made a lot of sense to me. Now I drive a Silverado and I’m down 1 extra vehicle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

I’ve had both and currently have a Silverado. The Tahoe was great but I had a full size pick up too for the Home Depot and other stuff that I didn’t want to put in the back of my 70k SUV. My salesman said to me once, “ Do you use the third row?” Me, No, “ Then why pay 10-20k more for space you don’t use when you can use the back of the truck for your dirty work and still basically ride in a Tahoe inside with just less seating” He made a lot of sense to me. Now I drive a Silverado and I’m down 1 extra vehicle.

There was a way that I was able to get a 2018 Tahoe LS (with no heated seats) down to ~$58k on the Build and Price website by deleting the third row for a $3200 credit but then you may as well just get a crew cab short box for $5k less with heated seats, like you said.