Steering Column Replacement/Alignment

Hi All!

Hopefully I can get some input on this...i tried my best to search but could not find something close to this.

To make a long story short, I had of list of issues for the dealer to fix. So I went ahead and took my truck in. Some of the problems being.... 

1.) Customer states steering wheel feels loose. Has play if you move it back and forth.

-Steering column was replaced, part # 23381950 & #23447442

2.) Customer states the steering wheel heater only heats one side of the steering wheel.

-Steering wheel has been special ordered and has now arrived at dealer

Anywho, since the steering wheel was a special order part, I was asked to pick up my truck some evening last week, as I drove off, the dealer service closed and later on my trek home, I notice my steering wheel was off about 1-2 degree to the left. The steering returns to center normally, but I need to hold it to the left about 1-2 degree for the truck to actually drive straight. Its a pretty noticeable difference aesthetic wise. I called the next morning just to let them know. Well I just received a call from the dealer that my steering wheel has arrived. and for me to drop  it off Monday. I once again reiterated that the steering was off and if it would it be addressed when I dropped it off. I was give the service manager spill that the steering column only goes on one way and there is no way they affected the steering. That they would take a look at it and I would have to pay out of pocket...just trying to make sense of this. Would any of those replacement part possibly could have affected the steering wheel position? This vehicle is the first one I would be keeping for a while, and certainly the first one that I've had any steering components replaced. Just would want to get second thoughts about this. I am going to go in with a positive attitude Monday morning to drop it off. But I find it hard to believe I need to pay for an alignment that I know for certain was fine when I dropped it off that particular day.

If it were me.

I would drive it before signing the repair papers.

Especially if the steering wheel is being replaced under warranty. 

My thinking being they won't get paid until you sign off.

Or if not under warranty you refuse to accept the truck until fixed.

:)

4 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

If it were me.

I would drive it before signing the repair papers.

Especially if the steering wheel is being replaced under warranty. 

My thinking being they won't get paid until you sign off.

Or if not under warranty you refuse to accept the truck until fixed.

Guess I should have done that first, huh...

I've worked at a lot of dealers and I have never seen them give your keys back until you pay the bill. 

Did they replace the steering shaft or just the upper part of the column? The shaft should be squared on top and splined on the bottom. The spline section can go on a tooth or 2 off if you don't pay attention.

Edited by Lsgun1

The steering column shaft is splined where the steering wheel attaches to it.  It is possible that during the replacement of the column, that the steering wheel was installed one spline off causing the steering wheel to be offset.  The steering angle sensor should be relearned at least.  If you have no warning messages about stabilitrak/traction control, then the steering angle sensor should be good. 

I do think it is wise to do a toe adjustment after replacing parts like that to ensure everything is centered but warranty probably doesn't pay for that since most columns have a centering point to match on the steering wheel which would explain why it wasn't done and they're wanting you to pay for one.  Due to what was replaced, for pure customer satisfaction, a good dealership would do an alignment for you.  

If the vehicle pulls/drifts to one side and you're holding the steering wheel offset to keep going straight, then replacing those parts would not have an affect on your situation but either road crown, a tire or caster/camber is off causing the pull/drift.  

Usually the upper part of the column where the wheel attaches has a large flat spot which acts like a keyway to the wheel can only go on one way. I haven't personally looked at this style trucks wheel to be 100% on that though.

You say there was play in the wheel before so maybe now that its tight you are seeing you need an alignment.

3 minutes ago, Lsgun1 said:

I've worked at a lot of dealers and I have never seen them give your keys back until you pay the bill. 

Did they replace the steering shaft or just the upper part of the column? The shaft should be squared on top and splined on the bottom. The spline section can go on a tooth or 2 off if you don't pay attention.

My bad.

45 minutes ago, Lsgun1 said:

I believe they replaced the upper part of the column...that is my thought, that maybe it is a tooth or two off...

47 minutes ago, BlkSS said:

The steering column shaft is splined where the steering wheel attaches to it.  It is possible that during the replacement of the column, that the steering wheel was installed one spline off causing the steering wheel to be offset.  The steering angle sensor should be relearned at least.  If you have no warning messages about stabilitrak/traction control, then the steering angle sensor should be good. 

I do think it is wise to do a toe adjustment after replacing parts like that to ensure everything is centered but warranty probably doesn't pay for that since most columns have a centering point to match on the steering wheel which would explain why it wasn't done and they're wanting you to pay for one.  Due to what was replaced, for pure customer satisfaction, a good dealership would do an alignment for you.  

If the vehicle pulls/drifts to one side and you're holding the steering wheel offset to keep going straight, then replacing those parts would not have an affect on your situation but either road crown, a tire or caster/camber is off causing the pull/drift.  

My thought is that it is off a spline or two...reason being, since the steering wheel needed to be ordered, it was just put back together so that I could pick it up. Because my heated steering wheel is  not working anymore, i guess they left it unplugged due to the short. I would hope that it is put back together and is fine when I pick it up Monday or Tuesday. 

I would hope that they do an alignment due to customer satisfaction, this dealer has been pretty good to me. I've found out that they have a customer experience/satisfaction representative, hopefully they make it right. I've never had the truck pull to any direction, and my tires are worn evenly. So i don't believe i have an alignment issue... :( 

Edited by 17TXLTZ

Update:

Steering wheel was replaced Monday, picked it up Monday evening and drove it around and it was still off a bit...took a test drive with service manager Tuesday and he sees it too.

Guess what ticks me off more than anything is the prick of a service advisor I have. He called me Tuesday saying "nothing is wrong with the truck, it drives straight, I test drove it and its fine, don't see anything wrong with it. Its probably an alignment and you have to pay that, blah blah blah" When I took a test drive with the service manager that evening, he was nothing like my advisor. He was very understanding and tried to come up with conclusions as to why it might be off. Not once did he mention, "yeah you need an alignment" nor was he rude at any point. Kind of wanted to tell him that his advisor acts like a prick and speaks out of his a**....but I kept my cool.

As of Thursday morning, truck is still at dealer...