1998 k1500 5.7 correct random no-start

So my 1998 Chevy k1500 5.7 vortex got new fuel pump, filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, at 288,000 miles. Ran great since then no issues whatsoever.  It's now at 312k. Then recently once in a while I noticed instead of starting right up it would turn over for like 10-15 wives before starting and then fire right up and run fine.

Leaving work Thursday of last week truck would not start. It would pop and sputter a bit but not run. The fuel pump wasn't running when I turned the key to run, but I can always here it when going back to the run position from the start position. Eventually started smelling very gassy. Took the air box off intake and held peddle down thinking it was flooded. Still sputtering, finally back fired and after the back fire started up as if nothing ever happened. Drove it with no problems again until this morning.

Same thing again, just sputtering, pump running when key goes from start to run, started smelling gas again, didn't have the time to mess with it so took another vehicle.

So kind of lost as to were to start, obviously going to check spark, and fuel pressure when I get a chance to, but does it sound like any thing obvious that I don't know about here?

Thanks!