HELP! Tow mirror electrical issue

2015 silverado 1500 LT (with non-tow mirros stock DB8?)

While i was getting my lift kit installed i had planned to get new tow mirrors installed https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-16-Silverado-G2-Power-Heated-LED-Arrow-Signal-Extendable-Towing-Mirror-Smoke/233104518338?hash=item36461cacc2:g:C6AAAOSwhu9cRobZ:rk:2:pf:0

Stock i have manual fold, power glass adjust. (not sure on power heat i dont see the symbol on them tho)

So the shop ran into some issues unfortunately and i want to figure out why and take advice before i fry some more switches or something worse. So they installed the mirrors and they bolted up perfect. They said they had some trouble getting the turn signal on the glass to function. I wasnt worried or surprised about that because mine doesnt have it. They said the marker light on the front functioned fine tho. So they went to put the truck back together and then they found out that they couldnt adjust the glass. They said they could adjust it left and right but not up and down at all. Re-installed the stock mirrors still no go. They ended up using a shop owners silverados switch and the stock mirrors worked fine. Long story short thought it was just the switch but it ended up being something more. They ended up frying his switch and 3 others before they decided that the harness on the mirrors is probably the issue... now whether its defective/ wired wrong causing this to happen or if its cause it has features my truck doesnt im not sure. But they put stock mirrors on and new switch and im good so far. 

I really want tow mirrors but dont want to fry anymore switches or something worse. I know some people have had to use harnesses but i have seen many others post up that everything works fine without (minus functions like the turn signals). So what do you guys recommend i do? I dont want to spend $500 like some people have on mirrors and harnesses. I am looking at these mirrors https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tow-Mirror-Power-Heated-Textured-Black-Pair-Set-of-2-for-Silverado-Sierra-Pickup/311953989815?fits=Year%3A2015|Model%3ASilverado+1500&epid=2072499600&hash=item48a1e820b7:g:RfwAAOSw6fpbWZHt:rk:40:pf:0&LH_BIN=1 which dont have lights or turn signal so maybe itll work? It does have heated feature tho so im not sure. 

I also saw this harness https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-GM-Mirror-Jumper-Harness-23387133/163075522996?hash=item25f80f01b4:g:~NwAAOSwpHpbENx2:rk:1:pf:0 listed under many of the listings descriptions saying its needed to make them function. however looking at those connectors it doesnt look like the square one that they come with. But they advertise that trucks without stock lights can then run mirrors with turn signals and clearance lights with this harness. is that true? Lights are not a neccesity but i like the look. I would prefer clearance lights over turn signals if it comes down to it.

I requested to return the current mirrors i have cause i dont want to take a chance of them being defective and frying more switches

See my responses inline.

2015 silverado 1500 LT (with non-tow mirros stock DB8?)

While i was getting my lift kit installed i had planned to get new tow mirrors installed https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-16-Silverado-G2-Power-Heated-LED-Arrow-Signal-Extendable-Towing-Mirror-Smoke/233104518338?hash=item36461cacc2:g:C6AAAOSwhu9cRobZ:rk:2:pf:0

Stock i have manual fold, power glass adjust. (not sure on power heat i dont see the symbol on them tho)

So the shop ran into some issues unfortunately and i want to figure out why and take advice before i fry some more switches or something worse. So they installed the mirrors and they bolted up perfect. They said they had some trouble getting the turn signal on the glass to function. I wasnt worried or surprised about that because mine doesnt have it. They said the marker light on the front functioned fine tho. So they went to put the truck back together and then they found out that they couldnt adjust the glass. They said they could adjust it left and right but not up and down at all.

This is a usually a symptom of using mismatch harnesses. Do you know if they swapped the door harnesses for simply plugged the mirror in to the factory harnesses?

Re-installed the stock mirrors still no go. They ended up using a shop owners silverados switch and the stock mirrors worked fine.

If they had to force the switch (there are two types and at keyed differently for differently options), this will blow a fuse for the adjust.

Long story short thought it was just the switch but it ended up being something more. They ended up frying his switch and 3 others before they decided that the harness on the mirrors is probably the issue... now whether its defective/ wired wrong causing this to happen or if its cause it has features my truck doesnt im not sure. But they put stock mirrors on and new switch and im good so far. 

If you can supply part #s to the switches, I can tell if they are keyed different.

7802f92a64be071d8bc3791f45ddf848.jpg

I really want tow mirrors but dont want to fry anymore switches or something worse. I know some people have had to use harnesses but i have seen many others post up that everything works fine without (minus functions like the turn signals). So what do you guys recommend i do? I dont want to spend $500 like some people have on mirrors and harnesses. I am looking at these mirrors https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tow-Mirror-Power-Heated-Textured-Black-Pair-Set-of-2-for-Silverado-Sierra-Pickup/311953989815?fits=Year%3A2015|Model%3ASilverado+1500&epid=2072499600&hash=item48a1e820b7:g:RfwAAOSw6fpbWZHt:rk:40:pf:0&LH_BIN=1 which dont have lights or turn signal so maybe itll work? It does have heated feature tho so im not sure. 

These mirrors are from AM Auto and will work with your factory door harnesses and switch. Since they don’t have any lightning, it should be PnP

I also saw this harness https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-GM-Mirror-Jumper-Harness-23387133/163075522996?hash=item25f80f01b4:g:~NwAAOSwpHpbENx2:rk:1:pf:0 listed under many of the listings descriptions saying its needed to make them function. however looking at those connectors it doesnt look like the square one that they come with. But they advertise that trucks without stock lights can then run mirrors with turn signals and clearance lights with this harness. is that true?

This harness is a “Jumper Harness” and is ONLY needed if your truck doesn’t have pin 9 and 11 loaded on the CAB side of the door jamb connector. This harness goes inside the cab and under the hood for the cargo and running light circuits.

For mid year 2015.5 and later, GM delivered these circuits to the door jamb.

Here is a pic that will show you what to look for.

52f5f76d27ab0a2c0846bcb936bf9885.jpg

Lights are not a neccesity but i like the look. I would prefer clearance lights over turn signals if it comes down to it.

I requested to return the current mirrors i have cause i dont want to take a chance of them being defective and frying more switches

Many of these sub $200 are of very low quality. Many of them have their running lights and turn signal light circuits tied together behind the glass. This is problematic. Another common issue is the passenger side mirror has its adjust controls backwards. Up/down moves the mirror right/left, and vice versa.

So it sounds like you have a number of potentially compounding issues.

I have helped over 3000 members here successfully perform this upgrade and offer custom harnesses for PnP functionality.... but have to take things one step at a time.

I can recommend a good set manual fold aftermarket mirrors (in the $300 range) that will give you turn signal, running light and cargo lights.

The door harnesses I build run $285-$310 for the set but comes with a $100 refund if you send me your factory harnesses once done.

A new switch is only needed if you go with power Folding mirrors.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Phil Gamboa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

22 hours ago, pgamboa said:

See my responses inline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This helps alot and I'm going to try to answer all your questions. 

They simply tried to plug the mirrors into my factory switch.

I have the far right switch for the mirrors. It just had the directional plus chose drivers or passenger side. 

So those AM auto mirrors from Ebay for about $140 should be plug and play? I want the mirrors more than the lights. the lights I could care less about. Just a bonus really. 

I dont think i can justify $300 mirrors + $300 harness when ive aleady wasted money at the shop this round. 

If I can use those AM auto mirrors and be PnP I'll be satisfied. Thoughts?