Tow mirror upgrade and issue!

So my truck is a 2015 2500 HD LTZ. Came with the small mirrors with all of the functions. Switched over to the DQS tow mirrors with all the same functions and also the amber LED running lights and the white reverse /cargo lights.

Let me give a huge thanks to Phil a.k.a. Pgamboa. He has PATIENTLY worked with me and answered all my questions that I’ve had which has been pretty much the past week.

I bought OEM mirrors new harnesses for both front doors and the camper/jumper harness since my truck was manufactured 8/14 and is considered an early 2015. Took it into the dealer last Monday morning and dropped it off. To make a long story short they had it for THREE days! Finally got the truck and it appeared everything worked the way it should. Well that’s until this past Saturday night when I was backing up my dark driveway to hook a trailer up. The white LED cargo/reverse lights in the mirror do not come on when the transmission is in reverse.

Yes I put it in park and pushed the cargo light button which is on the dash below the HVAC controls and they came on. However, when I move the transmission to reverse they go off. They only come on when the truck is in park or neutral! So frustrated so mad. Needless to say I spoke with Phil again and he said that’s not right either.

So here we go again, I’ll be dropping my truck back off at the dealership today or tomorrow. Not sure what to think at this point or what the technician needs to do.

Well I’m getting ready to head to the dealership in about 30 minutes to drop the truck off for the fourth day now.

However, in the meantime, I found a 2015 manual online and here is what it says about the tow mirrors with lights.

Hopefully it’s a quick/simple fix and the technician just has one of the wires landed in the wrong ports or something like that.

e3934bee17412d092a852b713ea4d6b2.jpg

9dd12373f2d746d484c16302dda5f45e.jpg

Sounds like you have a non AVF truck. Trucks built before August 14, 2014 do not have RPO AVF. When adding DQS mirrors to these trucks, the reverse LEDs only work in Park and neutral.

AVF or 2015.5 trucks, the reverse LEDs also work in reverse. 

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011-2016-non-powertrain/759329-dqs-mirror-swap-pre-aug-14-2014-non-rpo-avf-trucks-please-no-2015-5-posts.html

You need the RZY jumper p/n 23387133 to complete the truck side circuitry for the lights, and then the diode mod for them to work in reverse, assuming your truck was built before 8/14/14 as jhplak325 mentioned. 

IF your dealer put that third harness in (which it sounds like they did since the lights work in park/neutral), you just need the diode mod.  This will get them to come on in reverse.   

Edited by newdude

You need the RZY jumper p/n 23387133 to complete the truck side circuitry for the lights, and then the diode mod for them to work in reverse, assuming your truck was built before 8/14/14 as jhplak325 mentioned. 

IF your dealer put that third harness in (which it sounds like they did since the lights work in park/neutral), you just need the diode mod.  This will get them to come on in reverse.   

Yes, I have the RZY installed per Pgamboa (Phil). My truck says manufactured 8/14 on the door.

I saw the diode mod and if that’s what it takes it looks like something I can do. Just wondering what I should do since the dealer had my truck again. I was very adamant the white mirror lights should stay on when put in reverse.

14 hours ago, newdude said:

Newdude, thanks a lot for posting and giving me that info!  I actually just found that diode locally at a hobby store.  I have seen pics of the 2 "ports" it goes into under the driver side floor area (BCM)  Does it just get pushed into there and tension holds it in?  Or does it need to "click" in somehow?  I just want to make sure I do it right.