Possible Project Truck

Hi all, looking for some feedback on something:

Originally I was looking for high-mileage 2011+ 2500 6.0's with decent body/interior for around $12k, with the intent of rebuilding the power train and turning into a toy.  A couple popped up over the past few months but I could never jump on them fast enough.

Recently I came across a 2012 2500 LT with ~250,000 miles in bad condition but for pretty cheap.  It was a farm truck, likely sat in a field/outside its entire life.  The truck has just about everything broken on it but was able to talk them down to $5k, so wondering if even that is too much based on the amount of things wrong with it.

-Body was ok, lots of scratches and a few dings but could be fixed, little rust under the rockers.

-Frame looked ok, surface rust typical for a '12 in the midwest

-Interior is dirty but ok, driver front door needs new handles

-Tailgate would need to be replaced, was damaged by gooseneck

-Stabilitrak malfunctioning, not sure how much work involved to resolve

-Electronic shift would go into 4H but not 4L

-Engine light, havent pulled codes yet but since I planned to rebuild the motor/trans not too worried

-Couple leaking hoses like power steering

-No hvac fan 

Would dumping another $5-8k into be enough to make for a decent truck with all new fun parts?  Or better off just finding a clean one for $12k.

tldr; is this worth 5k :)

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

Edited by reighnman

I'm not mechanical so I'd keep searching.  The outside and interior doesn't look bad at all, but all the rust and things you mention would definitely make it a project truck.  I was fortunate to find my 02 2500 with low miles, which I got for about 13k and did not have to replace any mechanical stuff except for the notorious transmission case hole leak issue (knock on wood).