Picking the right adjustable drop hitch

I have a stock 2018 GMC 2500 All Terrain HD Duramax. At some point, I’d like to add 275/65R20 tires (3/4” taller on radius), 1” blocks in the rear, and raise the front 1”-1.5”.  I’m trying to figure out if a 6” drop adjustable hitch will still be enough. I measured 21-1/2” to the top of the 2-1/2” receiver opening. It should be noted that I have SumoSprings 1500lb replacement bump stops, which currently sit about 1” off the axle when unloaded.

I pulled a couple snowmobile trailers earlier this winter, neither of which  phased the truck much at all. The first one was a small 12’ hybrid; which the manufacturer lists as having a 21” hitch height, yet it sat about perfectly with a 4” drop hitch (that math doesn’t make sense). The owner uses a 2” drop flipped upside down on his 1500.

AB2E6C58-7160-4688-AF3A-F1EA9A32DAF8.jpeg

The second trailer I mentioned is an inline snowmobile trailer (think it’s 14’ plus a 5’ v-nose). For this, we used a Weigh Safe 180deg 6” adjustable aluminum hitch. I want to say we adjusted the hitch about 1/2 to 2/3 down. The trailer/hitch owner has a new Super Duty; we had to raise the hitch 1” for my truck since ours are a tad bit lower.

051E320C-1C11-4B7E-8146-935BC5BEE1A1.jpeg

I also towed a U-Haul utility trailer earlier this winter, and used an old 6” drop for that. It was definitely a lower hitch height and sat nose down with the 6” drop.

So; based on those experiences and what I want to do with my truck, I’m thinking a 6” adjustable drop hitch should be just right. I don’t want to buy twice or end up with one that’s excessively long.

Your guys’ thoughts?

Edited by Icutmetl

I have 33 inch tires with the torsion bars cranked up about 1.25 inches and air bags in the back. I have an aluminum 6 inch drop hitch and it is only down about half way for most of the trailers I pull. I think you will be fine. I have never even used the bottom part of mine. 

2 hours ago, sillywillie07 said:

I have stock suspension height, but run timbren and summo springs up front.  I use the curt adjustable hitch.  2.5" size 6" drop.  Two balls with 2" and 2/5/16" balls.

That’s great; as mentioned, I also have a stock height truck and have experience with a 6” adjustable drop hitch. I’m curious weather it will be enough with slightly higher ride height & upsized tires. Did you read my original post?

I am using a Weigh Safe hitch with a 10" drop.  I don't know what I was thinking!  For one of the trailers I had in the past I used a 10" drop fixed stinger on a Dodge 3500, so remembering that, I got the longer hitch when I ordered this one.  It is too low on my stock height Chevy 2500HD and has smacked the ground a couple times on steep boat ramps.  I should have bought the 8" drop.

My boat trailer rides up high on the hitch and the dump trailer rides down one hole below 6".  I am thinking about sawing 2' off the bottom of the drop.  The Weigh Safe site has a text message help feature so I checked with them to make sure there isn't some reason I shouldn't cut it.  I can't think of a reason not to do it but it is free to check with them.  I will let you know what they say.

I really like the Weigh Safe setup and the little scale built in to the ball slider.  The boat trailer is long and rides best with 800-900 lbs. on the hitch.  The scale looks to be accurate within 50 pounds or so and it takes the guesswork out of  moving weight in the boat to get the right spot for longer hauls.

Thanks for starting this thread!  It made me remember I need to fix my hitch.

6 hours ago, Mike Barber said:

I am using a Weigh Safe hitch with a 10" drop.  I don't know what I was thinking!  For one of the trailers I had in the past I used a 10" drop fixed stinger on a Dodge 3500, so remembering that, I got the longer hitch when I ordered this one.  It is too low on my stock height Chevy 2500HD and has smacked the ground a couple times on steep boat ramps.  I should have bought the 8" drop.

My boat trailer rides up high on the hitch and the dump trailer rides down one hole below 6".  I am thinking about sawing 2' off the bottom of the drop.  The Weigh Safe site has a text message help feature so I checked with them to make sure there isn't some reason I shouldn't cut it.  I can't think of a reason not to do it but it is free to check with them.  I will let you know what they say.

I really like the Weigh Safe setup and the little scale built in to the ball slider.  The boat trailer is long and rides best with 800-900 lbs. on the hitch.  The scale looks to be accurate within 50 pounds or so and it takes the guesswork out of  moving weight in the boat to get the right spot for longer hauls.

I think the scale in the hitch is a real unique idea, but I wonder about the beating that mechanism takes over time from trailer movement. I was referring to their “180” hitch (LTB6-25); which doesn’t have the scale, but does have the two different size balls. I also like the Curt #45902 heavy duty steel adjustable hitch. I’m leaning toward the 6” of either, and do like the weight of the aluminum setup.

Edited by Icutmetl

The scale in the hitch might be a little gimmicky, I don't know, but it is at least something.  It is very sensitive to the way the entire rig is sitting, and of course level ground gives the best reading.

They told me I could cut the draw bar but it would void the warranty.  They also said I could buy just the draw bar from their web site. It's $78 for a 6" drop so I think I'll just buy a spare.  That way if I ever go through another mid life crisis and decide to jack the truck up I will be all set.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 12:52 AM, Mike Barber said:

Older thread, but I haven't found much info on people using the Weight Safe hitch with a scale during the winter. How has it held up to the winter road grime and salt?

I'm looking at buying a used one but the warranty doesn't transfer, so the savings would need to cover the cost to replace the gauge if it goes bad. I need to ask if the replacement gauge I buy would have a warranty or not.

I'm buying a new 2020 2500HD and it has a receiver height of 23.75" and my inline 29' snowmobile trailer tongue height is 12". The truck sagged 2" under the ball when test fit and sagged 1" at the rear fender with the trailer fully loaded. I'm calculating that I need the 10" drop hitch to keep my trailer level. I want the Weigh Safe hitch because the number of snowmobiles and the size of each changes often with each different trip I take.

Thanks!

The winters are pretty mild out here on the north Oregon coast, and I don't leave the hitch in the receiver all the time anyway, so I can't help you much with the winter durability question.  But with the limited use it has seen so far, the Weigh Safe is holding up just fine.

Looking at the Weigh Safe web site I see the slider rack with the scale in it goes for $86.  The gauge itself doesn't seem to be available by itself.

On 9/11/2019 at 12:41 AM, Mike Barber said:

The winters are pretty mild out here on the north Oregon coast, and I don't leave the hitch in the receiver all the time anyway, so I can't help you much with the winter durability question.  But with the limited use it has seen so far, the Weigh Safe is holding up just fine.

Looking at the Weigh Safe web site I see the slider rack with the scale in it goes for $86.  The gauge itself doesn't seem to be available by itself.

Thanks for your info. I contacted Weigh Safe about winter use and also warranty because I saw a nice used hitch for sale, but the lifetime warranty on the gauge doesn't transfer and I would have to spend $86 for a new slider with scale, then that would be covered under warranty. So the deal on the used one had to factor in that price and shipping. That was all looking good until I saw that www.etrailer.com is offering a nice instant rebate on the one I needed, 2.5" with 10" drop and free shipping. I will be ordering that one soon.