2002 hd power brake booster pump

the dealer calls it the power brake booster pump , i believe thdriving a week apartey are some how connected with the power steering pump, what i do know is with out it the brake pedal goes soft and almost goes to the floor. replaced 5 years ago and it made a big difference it breaking. just suddenly happened between driving a week apart. i went back to the original work order they called it hydro booster . ive now got the part number ill see if i can find it on line,

Edited by flymike47
to find correct name of part

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need to take a closer look at my 2012 Sierra 3500 dually 4x4 6.0 gas.  I really don't like the braking system.  My main concern is the pedal goes too low and I replaced the rear brakes about 15,000 mile ago and replaced my front rotors and pads 5,000 miles ago.  Since I'm the original owner, I had the rear caliper piston come out of the housing dumping brake fluid in a parking lot.  The parking brakes rusted away, probably from the winter anti ice fluid the states uses.  The pressure sensor for the trailer braking system failed causing me to have no trailer brakes.  I'm not really happy with the performance of this braking system.

So far as the pedal going too low i have had a simaler problem with the motor off the pedal would go to the floor , with the motor running it would be musy and close to the floor . the dealer replaced the brake booster hydro pump the part was 175 $ 5 years ago its now over 500 $ anyway the problem returned after 5 years , took it back to the dealer and told them the story, they replaced rear brakes ect , they said its fine now ...... i dont think so ! the first time around the said the brake booster was tied in with the power steering pump , i have never found any reference to this in print ? so my brakes still feel mushy it stops ok ? not confident of the fix. they did bleed the brake systen in case of air in lines . like you im not happy with the system

One problem is there is no such thing as a "power brake booster pump""Hydro booster" is the power brake assembly that mounts between the brake master cylinder (where you would see/monitor/fill with brake fluid), and your brake pedal.  The hydro booster is powered by power steering fluid pumped from the power steering pump, which of course also powers the power steering (down at the steering gear box).

For my 2004 Duramax Silverado, I used an ACDelco 178-0853 hydro booster.  It is listed for 2011 Silverado, but fits on 2001-2011.  It works better and is cheaper!  My pedal feel is much better than before.

For a new power steering pump, I used an ACDelco 20756713.  It is listed for 2008 Silverado, but fits back to 2001.  It pumps much better at engine idle (e.g., if you would like to turn and brake at low speeds, like when parking).  It has 12 vanes instead of 10 vanes in the older pumps, and maybe a better valve of some sort.

These GM brakes have very poor results in the rust-belt.  They probably have to be serviced (cleaned and re-lubed, especially the slider pins) every year.  And replaced when they rust out (including all the lines).

Sadly, I don't trust dealer service departments.  If you have poor results from one shop and can't do it yourself, try another shop.  Hopefully you finally find the guy that actually knows what he's doing.