Bad Wheel Bearings?

Hey guys, I don't spend much time on the Colorado/Canyon forum but my wife has a 2015 SLT Canyon. She complained of a growling noise, at first I though maybe it was her Falken winter tires howling now that the roads are clear and the tires are getting some heat in them as my 1500 makes a similar growl with my aggressive AT tires. I brought it in the my shop to check it out and the D/S wheel bearings are shot, P/S has minimal play but I will change it as well. There is only 80,000km (50,000mi). She never travels gravel roads and I have taught her pretty well to swerve around potholes in the spring roads. This seems way too early to me to have these parts worn. My 2013 2500 has 230,000km and my mechanic literally just changes the front brakes for the first time on Monday, literally no other front end work has been done to that truck and it goes up north on the winter roads, so it gets a pretty good beating, yet everything is still perfect. 

Have any of you guys had to do front end work on these 1/4tons with minimal miles like this? I am wondering what I can expect to fail next, or what I should be watching out for. Have you guys done upper/lower BJ's, brakes or tierod ends around 50k miles, or did I just get a bad batch of wheel bearings? 

Edited by L86 All Terrain

• 4 years later...

My question too to everyone, I have a 2017 Canyon Denali diesel longbox with 119,000 KM and I just had to have my DS wheel bearing replaced because it had worn enough to cause the tone ring to hit the pickup and put all my warning lights on. Service Writer at my dealer knew it was the wheel bearing just by the lights and warnings that came on, which were " Service Stabilitrak" and " Service Trailer Brake System" so that tells me they see a lot of this and at a early age. I should add, there were no signs of a bad bearing,  no noise, no wandering/pulling, no tire wear, nothing. Just wondering if there are others.

On 3/21/2024 at 3:23 PM, diesel guy said:

My question too to everyone, I have a 2017 Canyon Denali diesel longbox with 119,000 KM and I just had to have my DS wheel bearing replaced because it had worn enough to cause the tone ring to hit the pickup and put all my warning lights on. Service Writer at my dealer knew it was the wheel bearing just by the lights and warnings that came on, which were " Service Stabilitrak" and " Service Trailer Brake System" so that tells me they see a lot of this and at a early age. I should add, there were no signs of a bad bearing,  no noise, no wandering/pulling, no tire wear, nothing. Just wondering if there are others.

All the time.  Its the design of the hub.  The wheel speed sensor tone ring is exposed and over time salt and corrosion eat away the magnetic tone ring.  The sensor is mounted to the knuckle and lays over the ring to read it.  Same design that is used on many other modern GMs.  

Edited by newdude