10 hours ago, ColoradoDaily said:

In the old body style, it was easy to add a second battery but in the new one, it seems much more difficult.  Am I missing something?

2014-chevrolet-silverado-engine-bay.jpg

I was thinking the same thing.  I think maybe a frame mounted gel cell may be the only way to go now as there is NO room under the hood.  Looks like plenty of room behind the gas tank (especially since it's so damn small).

Looks to me like the big issue is the fender supports are now angled- I suppose to help in a crash.  Hopefully we will see some aftermarket support here, or I will figure something out for mine at some point.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Same here.  My 2008 had a second Optima yellow top to run the radio and some other accessories and not run down the cranking battery.  I had the two tied together with a solenoid that was normally off, and just flipped a switch in the cab and they tied together and the alternator would charge the deep cycle.  I was interested in doing the same on my 19 Sierra, but no joy. 

I saved my own rear a few times when the main battery went dead, and the deep cycle would keep me going long enough to finish the day and get home without being stranded on the side of the road, or having to have a jump box and worry about keeping it charged.  

I am also looking at an Optima Red Top for my Sierra, so it won't be so much of an issue... maybe.

On 4/26/2019 at 5:20 PM, AJ Sullivan said:

Same here.  My 2008 had a second Optima yellow top to run the radio and some other accessories and not run down the cranking battery.  I had the two tied together with a solenoid that was normally off, and just flipped a switch in the cab and they tied together and the alternator would charge the deep cycle.  I was interested in doing the same on my 19 Sierra, but no joy. 

I saved my own rear a few times when the main battery went dead, and the deep cycle would keep me going long enough to finish the day and get home without being stranded on the side of the road, or having to have a jump box and worry about keeping it charged.  

I am also looking at an Optima Red Top for my Sierra, so it won't be so much of an issue... maybe.

Ok- I spent some time under the truck today and I think I may be able to make a bracket to fit an optima or something like that behind  the front bumper.  Crazy right?

it would easily fit- room for a winch in there if you had an aftermarket bumper. There are some beefy brackets on either side and it wouldn’t be too hard to make a  heavy duty tray to fit there. The area is pretty well protected too.  

I’m gonna stew on that for a bit.

I’m used to a dual battery setup and leaving my ARB Fridge running all the time in the back. It’s so nice for trips/camping etc. I miss it, I don’t like leaving it on with no backup though. 

Edited by Limelight

Check out CTEK. I used a CTEK Dual 250S to run 2 batteries in my Tacoma. CTEK makes 12v chargers that run off your alternator and or a solar panel. You can mount your battery anywhere and you only have to run a small gauge wire from your main battery to the charger. I made a battery box in the bed of my truck that held the charger and a fuse box to run all of my gear. I also had a 25w solar panel on my roof rack that always kept the system topped off too. I liked this setup as 1 bad battery cant drain the good one, and if you have an issue with the main battery you can just swap it for the one in the bed. 

57 minutes ago, Dea1276 said:

Check out CTEK. I used a CTEK Dual 250S to run 2 batteries in my Tacoma. CTEK makes 12v chargers that run off your alternator and or a solar panel. You can mount your battery anywhere and you only have to run a small gauge wire from your main battery to the charger. I made a battery box in the bed of my truck that held the charger and a fuse box to run all of my gear. I also had a 25w solar panel on my roof rack that always kept the system topped off too. I liked this setup as 1 bad battery cant drain the good one, and if you have an issue with the main battery you can just swap it for the one in the bed. 

Thanks for that but I’ll be using a dual battery setup with an isolator like I had in my 4Runner. This will allow self jump starting with the flick of a switch if one battery dies. 

Just the option I’m interested In but I appreciate the response. 

• 6 months later...

I'm looking at getting a Decked system. From what I've seen you can put a complete dual system in the back part of one of the drawers. There is a pic with the second battery and on board air system contained in one drawer.  Not a simple solution but it is an option.  I'll probably go this rout myself.  i'm already starting to plan it out and get parts, but it will be a while since i don't have a garage.

• 2 years later...

I've been looking to install a daul battery set up as well.

-2021 chevy silverado trail boss

I believe just above the front passenger wheel well is enough space for atleast an optima yellow top D51. There are two spots that I think I can mount some L brackets with some bending of them.

I still need to do some learning. I don't know if a small battery can be used.