'19 5.3l exhaust pipe size, muffler suggestions?

I was looking at the gm performance exhaust for my 2019 TB with the 5.3. But I just can't spend that much when just replacing the muffler would be sufficient. Think I'm going to order a section of stainless pipe and a muffler to replace the flapper and oem muffler. 

Does anyone know what the diameter of the pipe is on the 5.3l?

Anyone have muffler suggestions? I want something with no drone on the highway. I had the Magnaflow 12909 on my 2015 2500hd and it has so much drone that I had to take it off. 

Edited by Donnyb313

I'm considering the Borla XR1 oval 40943 or the Borla XR1 round 40085. Or the Borla Atak crate muffler 400844, but I'm not sure if that one will be too raspy. 

I was also considering the 40359 but I thought it might be too quiet..? Hard to tell with YouTube sound clips. 

I believe the pipe on the truck is 2.75"? Then I'll order a section of stainless 3" pipe to put in place of the flapper and adapt the 2.75" pipe to the 3" muffler inlet/outlet. 

You may not be happy with just the muffler replacement unless you mess with the new mesh resonators. I replaced my stock with a Magnaflow and the sound at idle actually got quieter. I could only really hear the new muffler when I was accelerating hard- which sounded great.

I’m in the process of experimenting with covering the resonators and the difference is dramatic. With all 6 of them covered, the idle sound is great now and I can always hear the new muffler. There is some drone though when the truck starts dripping cylinders where there was NONE before. 

I’m going to try different combinations of covering the mesh to tune it the way I want, or maybe I’ll just leave it as is. We will see. 

Just my experience so far!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Limelight said:

You may not be happy with just the muffler replacement unless you mess with the new mesh resonators. I replaced my stock with a Magnaflow and the sound at idle actually got quieter. I could only really hear the new muffler when I was accelerating hard- which sounded great.

I’m in the process of experimenting with covering the resonators and the difference is dramatic. With all 6 of them covered, the idle sound is great now and I can always hear the new muffler. There is some drone though when the truck starts dripping cylinders where there was NONE before. 

I’m going to try different combinations of covering the mesh to tune it the way I want, or maybe I’ll just leave it as is. We will see. 

Just my experience so far!

Thanks for sharing! I was wondering about those mesh resonators. Which Magnaflow did you put in? Did you remove the flapper?

So there was no drone in cab with the resonators uncovered? I was kind of thinking if I get a loud Borla race muffler and leave the resonators in place it wouldn't be obnoxiously loud 

11 minutes ago, Donnyb313 said:

Thanks for sharing! I was wondering about those mesh resonators. Which Magnaflow did you put in? Did you remove the flapper?

So there was no drone in cab with the resonators uncovered? I was kind of thinking if I get a loud Borla race muffler and leave the resonators in place it wouldn't be obnoxiously loud 

I’m not sure which Magnaflow- there’s no markings on it...  no drone at all with the resonators uncovered- but really no sound either lol. I was thinking I wasted my money.  

I like it covered but I’m gonna experiment a bit to see what happens.  I was shocked at the actual difference. Flapper is gone too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 11:44 PM, Donnyb313 said:

I was looking at the gm performance exhaust for my 2019 TB with the 5.3. But I just can't spend that much when just replacing the muffler would be sufficient. Think I'm going to order a section of stainless pipe and a muffler to replace the flapper and oem muffler. 

Does anyone know what the diameter of the pipe is on the 5.3l?

Anyone have muffler suggestions? I want something with no drone on the highway. I had the Magnaflow 12909 on my 2015 2500hd and it has so much drone that I had to take it off. 

Pipe diameter is 2.75

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2019 at 6:42 PM, Donnyb313 said:

I'm considering the Borla XR1 oval 40943 or the Borla XR1 round 40085. Or the Borla Atak crate muffler 400844, but I'm not sure if that one will be too raspy. 

I was also considering the 40359 but I thought it might be too quiet..? Hard to tell with YouTube sound clips. 

I believe the pipe on the truck is 2.75"? Then I'll order a section of stainless 3" pipe to put in place of the flapper and adapt the 2.75" pipe to the 3" muffler inlet/outlet. 

I'm running an electric cutout before the muffler.  It's great cuz I can have very loud or super quiet whenever I want with the push of a button on a remote.  Not sure if that's something you'd be interested in too.

• Like 1

I put a borla pro xs and it didn't change nothing at all as far as sound. I wrapped the resonators with exhaust tape and it sounds a little deeper when you crank truck up.... I'm going to order a different muffler, not happy with the pro xs. All that to say don't waste your money on that muffler. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Thejet07 said:

Did you remove the flapper valve too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah I left it. Was worried about what I've heard about the V4 mode. But even if I did take it off I don't think it would of done much difference. 

• 11 months later...
On 4/12/2019 at 9:04 PM, z1boss said:

I'm running an electric cutout before the muffler.  It's great cuz I can have very loud or super quiet whenever I want with the push of a button on a remote.  Not sure if that's something you'd be interested in too.

Any videos with the cut out 

2018 & 2019 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71's seem to have the same diameter stock pipe of 2.75" plus the 2019 has new tech resonators. I have both a 2018 and 2019 Silverado. On the 19 have done the muffler delete, welded in a 3 inch diameter pipe, and  covered all 6 screens (dual exit). The 18 has the same layout minus the new resonators and I deleted the muffler and resonator by welding in replacement 3 inch pipe. The 19 is much louder on cold start and through the rev range, but for less than $50 and a diy weld job the sound is great. Also removed flapper valves on both and with AFM there is a noticeable hum at speed, but the DFM hum is mitigated due to the exit of the exhaust being out the rear. 

Edited by crazyjoefound
fix error