2016 Duramax regen indication

Ok, I have a 2016 Sierra Denali 2500 HD with over 36,000 miles on it and I don't know if I've ever noticed a regen take place. Is there any sort of information or indication on the DIC when this takes place? 

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I didn't find anything with my brief search.

1 hour ago, jhplak325 said:

Other than a slight increase in idle, decrease in fuel mileage and an odor, no you will not notice it in regen.

Thank you. I'm not sure I've ever noticed any of those. 

My 17 DMAX does a regen every 400 mi or so and as mentioned above all I notice is the slight raise in RPM and a hot exhaust smell. The whole process takes about 10mi or so. I only notice it when driving around town. Early DEF equipped trucks did have a message on the DIC that told you to keep driving  until the regen was complete. They were also known as flame throwers as in the beginning of all of this, these trucks (all brands) often shot fire out the tailpipe.

Regen is the process of burning out/off the particulate trap/filter. DEF is used to scrub them from the exhaust and into the trap. When the trap is full they burn off the particles cleaning the filter. Lots of efforts have gone into this process since they started with it around 2011.  

1 hour ago, 2017HD said:

My 17 DMAX does a regen every 400 mi or so and as mentioned above all I notice is the slight raise in RPM and a hot exhaust smell. The whole process takes about 10mi or so. I only notice it when driving around town. Early DEF equipped trucks did have a message on the DIC that told you to keep driving  until the regen was complete. They were also known as flame throwers as in the beginning of all of this, these trucks (all brands) often shot fire out the tailpipe.

Regen is the process of burning out/off the particulate trap/filter. DEF is used to scrub them from the exhaust and into the trap. When the trap is full they burn off the particles cleaning the filter. Lots of efforts have gone into this process since they started with it around 2011.  

No, earlier GM DPF trucks did not have a message during a 'normal' regen.

The only time a message (the keep driving message) is given is if the truck is enable to successfully complete a regen after multiple attempts. 

Most owners will never get that message. 

LML was introduced in 2011 (and used until end of  2016MY), was the first GM to use DEF, but the generation before that, the LMM also have a DPF and did regens.  LMM did not have the extra diesel injector in the exhaust, and injected extra fuel during the exhaust stroke. 

I believe the 'flame throwers' you're thinking about were Fords.

Edited by redwngr