Another Zone vs BDS Question

Morning guys, I have a hypothetical Zone vs BDS question that might have been asked, but I don't think it has been asked this way. I have a 2018 Sierra with a 2.5" level now, but am looking to upgrade to a Zone 6.5" or BDS 6" (keeping stock wheels). For the record, I'm a cash buyer and don't trade every couple years...basically, I'll be keeping this truck a long time so I will buy whichever option is the best one in regards to quality/longevity. 

I was looking at prices for the BDS/Zone and the BDS comes in around $3k with the UCAs, Fox shocks, and add-a-leaf while the Zone comes in around $1300 for their kit with the add-a-leaf. I know the "no questions asked" warranty with the BDS is a BIG plus over the Zone -- although I have heard the Zone customer service is top notch. 

So, my hypothetical question is, if you strip both of those down to the base kits (no shocks, add-a-leaf, etc), is there an advantage outside of the BDS warranty that would make you choose it over Zone? By the way, I'm keeping the stock 20 snowflakes on the truck so I'm ordering cast UCAs. That might possibly answer my own question considering you can order them as part of the BDS kit, but I appreciate any responses. 

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

What's wrong with the stamped UCAs?  I am running them on a Zone 6.5" with stock 20" wheels and 35x12.5x20 Toyo R/Ts.  

I’ve heard a few people mention issues with the stamped arms and running 35s and stock wheels. It seems like BDS mentions in the customize the kit option that it will only work on cast.  

43 minutes ago, jimmyboy8301 said:

The bds comes with replacement struts in their base kit which Zone does not. If you don’t plan on running coilovers I’d go with Zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I’m not running coil overs. That’s why I wanted to ask this question. It just didn’t seem like outside the warranty there was a big enough difference/benefit to going with the pricier kit over the cheaper.

• Like 1

According to the shop that put in my zone lift, many of the part numbers are the same between the two lifts. I think a few parts are "prettier" and maybe marginally stronger on the BDS, but if you're not hardcore offroading, you'll never notice. Main difference, as you've already stated, is warranty. 

That said, zone still honors a traditional warranty on parts, if they're defective. Just don't get free replacements if you break it yourself. With money saved though, you could buy another full zone lift... 

Additionally, you can still get the coil overs from the BDS lift and use them on the zone should you decide to go that route down the line. 

Edited by MBSierra17

14 hours ago, MBSierra17 said:

According to the shop that put in my zone lift, many of the part numbers are the same between the two lifts. I think a few parts are "prettier" and maybe marginally stronger on the BDS, but if you're not hardcore offroading, you'll never notice. Main difference, as you've already stated, is warranty. 

That said, zone still honors a traditional warranty on parts, if they're defective. Just don't get free replacements if you break it yourself. With money saved though, you could buy another full zone lift... 

Additionally, you can still get the coil overs from the BDS lift and use them on the zone should you decide to go that route down the line. 

Awesome info. It sounds more like it’s splitting hairs between the 2 and I can’t go wrong either way. I tried researching as much as possible, but just couldn’t find that really spelled out any major differences. I’ve also been in country for most of the past 5 months and stupidly didn’t favorite the info I had found. The benefit is I go to some bad places for extended times, so when I get back my wife is so happy she doesn’t complain about me spending a little money. Anyway, I’m back now and am trying to re-gather it and decided s### on this I’m just going to ask. Thanks for the info man. 

Edited by RecurveBow