"err" message on CD player

I have never had a problem with playing CD's until lately when I started playing home made CD's. Recently, I noticed that after playing a CD (that I burned and made labels for it on the computer) for a while, it would stop, eject, and show "err" on the screen. After a while (cool off ?) it would play normally again. I did notice that the ejected CD felt "warm". I don't recall if a comercial CD ever felt warm coming out. I guess I'm wondering if the computer generated CD label is heavier on the blank CD than the comercial CD that has all the information inked on? Maybe because it is slightly heavier, the CD player has to work harder to turn it and gets hot?????? Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this. Also, did I once read somewhere in this forum that there is a cooling fan in the dash that blows on the radio to keep it cool??? :thumbs:

Well, I know nothing about what the problem would be. But I do have the same problem, I will put in a burned cd and it will just spit it out and say "Err". But if I wait a couple seconds and retry it will work. But it wont work directly after it ejects the cd. If you get any info on why this is pm me ;)

Try a different burning program, such as Nero or Roxio.... depending on what you are using. I had the same problem before using the software that came with the PC. Use Nero on one PC, and Roxio on another, and havent had any problems with the CD players reading it. As for the CD being hot, I have noticed that at times too.... don't know what to say is the cause for that.

I've experienced the same problem a couple of months ago during our 105+ weather. The truck cab was hot and the cd-r would track then error out. I ejected and put in a "packaged cut" CD and it played just fine. I thought it was just my Panasonic deck, but I mentioned this to a friend and he said the CD-R's in his Alpine remote changer behaved the same way and the "packaged" ones played just fine.

I use Imation with white printable surface (can't see through it) and my friend uses all kinds of generic bulk.

I use all different kinds in mine with no problem. None on mine have labels on them. I just write on the disk with a small point permanent felt marker. I did howers had problems with the factory player in my 96 s-10 blazer when the disk had labels on them. They fit a little tighter than normal so the labels may be causing your problem. Also as someone mentioned the media type can also be picky with your player. Have a home unit that is picky with different brands of disk media.

Try different cdr media and/or reduce the burn speed. I have had no problems with burned cda's in my 01 Tahoe's oem head nor in an add-on 12 disc changer (from www.radiosandmore.com - it's says Pioneer but it's identical to the GM oem 12 disc changer that is offered in other models and is fully controlled by the oem head) ... except I did get some audible scratchy sounds only in the changer (but not on any other cd player) on 20x cda's burned in a Yamaha so I had to reduce the burn speed to 4x which cured the problem. I use Maxell cdr media.

I have played CDs that I have made for a long time and have never had any trouble. I have used 2 different types of software and they both work fine. I have also used Imation, Verbatim, and Radio Shack brand CDs without any problems. Sounds like to me its the label because I ALWAYS just write on the CDs with a marker, never used a label!

Archived