Drivetrain Vibration

I have a 2014 Sierra Z71 that occasionally vibrates on the highway. The vibration is very similar to the sound and feel of driving across the slow down grooves in the highway. It does it randomly, even when I put it in manual 5th gear. I am thinking it may be in my rear axles, so I was wondering how to troubleshoot my rear end myself. 

It has 265/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks set on the second highest setting in the front for level. I recently replaced the upper and lower control arms, outer tie rod ends and steering knuckles. I’ve also replaced the rear driveshaft u-joints recently.

Well that's a lot so as long as tires are road force balanced then I would give a look at drive shaft angles. After that if you are sure it is drive shaft or axles for about $1200ish you can get a.good two piece shaft and nex axles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m not sure it is axles. My fear is that it might be in the transmission, but it still does it when I hold it in 5th on the highway so I’m hoping it’s the axles. Do you know a way to check the axles so I don’t keep throwing money at it? I replaced all my front end components because of a squeak in the front end I couldn’t pin down. I don’t want to do all that again in the rear end if I can avoid it.

As far as I now the axles can only be checked by removing them and at the cost of replacement shaft better to just buy them and swap out. But could be drive shaft also. If it is in the trans that is a little scary. I just finished a whole trans replacement and it was around $8k. But the truck are known for issues with the tc mainly. But also trans wear. Bang for buck inwould plan a pan drop magnet clean and new fluid. See what you are dealing with. And I think I will keep a eye on my fluid smell and color but plan change out every 25k miles. Cheaper then trans.

Thanks. I did also just replace tranny filter and fluid. It’s due again but last time I did it it all looked normal. Had very fine metal shavings but nothing big. I guess I’ll plan to swap the axles next.

There is a post somewhere here on a guy with the shake that took it to a and they re balanced the dive shaft and then when the issue was still there pulled the axles and found those also bad. So replaced those and he was good to go. No issues. So on price and easy of work sounds like the way to go. 

The horrible vibration on my 15 CC was corrected by installing new Yukon Axles (rear) and rear rotors and pads.  The driveshaft was balanced, but  did not make a huge improvement. Check out the lack of mating between the axle and rotor. That will show just how bad the flange is off. The vibration was crazy betwwen 70-80 and could not go above that speed. I knew it helped as soon as I replaced them, now I just hear tire noise. The entire resonance of the truck changed.

2.PNG

3.PNG

Do the Transmission fluid flush. Some get the vibration from torque convertors going out of balance due to the clutch material in the torque convertor collecting worn off material.

Flush fixes 95% of those issues they say. GM bulletin came out for Dealers not to replace Torque Convertor, only flush. Doc ID 4536930

Do the Transmission fluid flush. Some get the vibration from torque convertors going out of balance due to the clutch material in the torque convertor collecting worn off material.

Flush fixes 95% of those issues they say. GM bulletin came out for Dealers not to replace Torque Convertor, only flush. Doc ID 4536930
Yeah I am on the fence about that the issue is. The axles is rare the drive shaft they know was out of spec a little. And trans have many issues. The service bulletins all say flush but I also hear many insiders saybthatbis gms way to buy time and get past the warranty. Not that it doesn't help. Anytime you remove the debris is a good thing. At 10k miles my fluid was more than 50% gone dark red. Only can see red if you thin it out.
Also on those rotors, slap a very generous amount of anti seize on it. You will thank me later. I have seen huge mechanics swing huge hammers to the point of braking the rotor into 3 pieces to get them off. Have to wonder what that does to the axles or bearings.