2007 sierra 5.3 purchase

Looking at a 07 sierra 1500 nbs w the 5.3. If I buy I plan on buying a range to disable the afm immediately. Afm aside are these motors as reliable as the previous generation 5.3? It has 164k on it now, looking to get 3-4 good years out of it driving 15k a year at the most. Is that realistic and is there any other major issues with 07-13 gm trucks 

3 hours ago, steveo2155 said:

Looking at a 07 sierra 1500 nbs w the 5.3. If I buy I plan on buying a range to disable the afm immediately. Afm aside are these motors as reliable as the previous generation 5.3? It has 164k on it now, looking to get 3-4 good years out of it driving 15k a year at the most. Is that realistic and is there any other major issues with 07-13 gm trucks 

Yes, if not more so AFM aside.  They have better heads that don't crack and leak coolant for one thing.  Dirty oil is AFMs worst enemy.  Another enemy is changing the oil from what was previously used and de-gunking the motor.  All the now loosed sludge creates all kinds of problems usually leading to engine failure at worse, low oil pressure and failed AFM components.

Check and change the little filter under the oil pressure sensor if you buy it.  See if the engine got the 2010-2011 updates, which included the revised driver side rocker cover and VLOM and the latest lifters.

AFM could last indefinitely or it could drop a lifter a month after it's turned off.  Even the non-AFM lifters fail.

Since you're checking this truck out, see how it runs, observe oil pressure and if you can, have a mechanic check AFM components with scan tool and look for misfires and test AFM even.  

Once you get newer the trucks get better.  The afm was really problem prone from 07 to 09.  But that aside past 09 you get other improvements namely the 6L80e instead of the junk 4L60e.  But if it's cheap and that's what you want it's all a roll of the dice buying high mileage used.