Replacing Custom Trail Boss Door Handles

It’s REALLY easy on these trucks, that’s if you have the Custom without the keyless entry buttons on the handles. LT and uplevel trim handles are wired in and require removing the interior door panels first to reach the connection. 

To to take the handles off the only tool you need is a T15 torx driver. Nothing else is needed besides your hands.

1.) Open your door. Find the little rubber cap located in the door jamb near the handle and pull it off with your fingers. It’s black and about the size of a penny.

2.) look in the hole and see the T15 screw.

3.) loosen the screw slowly while you pull out on the door handle (don’t pull hard, just enough to keep the door handle in the open position).

4.) As you are unscrewing, you will get to a point where the door handle connection will pop out. When you get to that point, stop unscrewing and you can remove the entire handle. 

5.) With the door handle out, you can now remove the little cover that sits behind the handle. You can pull it straight out with your fingers or use a flat plastic panel remover. 

6.) reinstall the opposite way. When you retighten the screws, you don’t need death-tight because you are screwing into plastic. Just tighten the screw till it firmly stops and you’re done.

Of note, it is important not to turn the screw any more than necessary. Also do not tighten the screw with the handle out because you’ll trip the catch and then you’ll need to use wire or fishing line to pull it back into position (pain in the butt, ask me how I know).

Each handle and cover takes less than 5 min to replace. 

Edited by Z06JPB
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jason k said:

So can i install lt door handles and just not use the keyless entry?

I suppose you could take the handles out and cut the wires but without the buttons on the handle I’m not sure what other vehicle features you would not be able to access. Plus, there is always the chance you could cause some sort of system fault if the computer recognizes the buttons aren’t attached.

There are two other ways of changing handles and keeping the keyless entry buttons if you DON’T want to have to remove the interior door panels. You can buy a set of handles with keyless buttons,  either the chrome from LTZ/HC or the black ready-to-paint versions for the LT. Remember that you can’t just buy the handle covers, you have to buy the whole handle.

1) Remove door handles as described. Cut the wires and solder in the wires from the new handle.

2.) Remove the door handles as described. Pop off the handle covers on both sets and swap. (Note, the handle covers are really tricky to pop off without damaging the plastic tabs but it can be done with the right type of pry tools, two sets of hands, and patience)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/26/2019 at 1:17 PM, Z06JPB said:

It’s REALLY easy on these trucks, that’s if you have the Custom without the keyless entry buttons on the handles. LT and uplevel trim handles are wired in and require removing the interior door panels first to reach the connection. 

To to take the handles off the only tool you need is a T15 torx driver. Nothing else is needed besides your hands.

1.) Open your door. Find the little rubber cap located in the door jamb near the handle and pull it off with your fingers. It’s black and about the size of a penny.

2.) look in the hole and see the T15 screw.

3.) loosen the screw slowly while you pull out on the door handle (don’t pull hard, just enough to keep the door handle in the open position).

4.) As you are unscrewing, you will get to a point where the door handle connection will pop out. When you get to that point, stop unscrewing and you can remove the entire handle. 

5.) With the door handle out, you can now remove the little cover that sits behind the handle. You can pull it straight out with your fingers or use a flat plastic panel remover. 

6.) reinstall the opposite way. When you retighten the screws, you don’t need death-tight because you are screwing into plastic. Just tighten the screw till it firmly stops and you’re done.

Of note, it is important not to turn the screw any more than necessary. Also do not tighten the screw with the handle out because you’ll trip the catch and then you’ll need to use wire or fishing line to pull it back into position (pain in the butt, ask me how I know).

Each handle and cover takes less than 5 min to replace. 

On 1/21/2020 at 4:36 PM, lkoontz said:

Can you elaborate on how to replace the handle if one accidentally trips the door latch during the removal process??

So I screwed up and apparently tripped the latch as well. Any way to fix this myself?

17 minutes ago, Goobax said:

So I screwed up and apparently tripped the latch as well. Any way to fix this myself?

You will need to pull the metal latch into position with some high strength fishing line. Make a loop, grab the catch and pull while you screw the T15 screw to move the white plastic “slider” assembly back into place. Then you can pull the fishing line out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

You will need to pull the metal latch into position with some high strength fishing line. Make a loop, grab the catch and pull while you screw the T15 screw to move the white plastic “slider” assembly back into place. Then you can pull the fishing line out.

So basically like the old style Silverados with a technique like this guy ~ 4:30 mark?

1 hour ago, Goobax said:

So basically like the old style Silverados with a technique like this guy ~ 4:30 mark?

Yup. Something like that. 

The new trucks are even easier. 

Glad you got It worked out.