Borla S-type catback vs Black Widow Muffler?

5.3L here.  

I was initially sold on the Borla, and im currently saving up for it.   I had a buddy tell me to check out black widow.  Well for the price of the black widow I can pretty much buy that now lol.

Which one would you go with?  

I've never owned a vehicle with aftermarket exhaust.  I like the way the truck sounds when it starts for the first time in the morning.  I basically want that sound all the time.  A little deeper and louder would be nice.  My truck's main payload is the family so don't want to go too crazy but I THINK I want it on the louder side vs the quiter side? 

I'm going to cover up the screen resonator things Monday and clamp open the flapper.  

This was the exhaust I initially wanted.  

https://www.borla.com/products/silverado_sierra_1500_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140769.html

I've been listening to clips of the black widow on their site and YouTube.   

https://blackwidowexhaust.com/listen

I'm thinking either the race venom or the venom 250.

https://blackwidowexhaust.com/mufflers/Venom-250-Venom-300-Race-Venom-Widowmaker-and-Neighborhater-Mufflers-c22449053

Is there a reason I should just slap one of these mufflers on vs waiting to buy the full cat back system?  

Im really happy with my Venom 250, it sounds really good through all rpms, in my opinion anyway.   So yea I would vote for the black widow.

The only part that sucked for me anyway is I opted to cut out my resonator (2015 truck)  and the shop had to fab up and weld in a new piece of pipe which is of lower quality metal than the factory used,  so it surface rusts a bit after a winter. 

I imagine these expensuve cat backs ftom borla or corsa wouldnt surface rust just like oem system.   

I have vids on YouTube,  maybe you came across them.   Just search "venom 250 sierranick62"

Edited by SkiDooNick700
  • Like 1

I'm  not familiar with Black Widow products.  I can say that I had a Borla S type catback exhaust on my 2016 LTZ was really happy with everything about it.  I'll be installing a Borla system on my new truck.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 2:38 PM, SkiDooNick700 said:

Im really happy with my Venom 250, it sounds really good through all rpms, in my opinion anyway.   So yea I would vote for the black widow.

The only part that sucked for me anyway is I opted to cut out my resonator (2015 truck)  and the shop had to fab up and weld in a new piece of pipe which is of lower quality metal than the factory used,  so it surface rusts a bit after a winter. 

I imagine these expensuve cat backs ftom borla or corsa wouldnt surface rust just like oem system.   

I have vids on YouTube,  maybe you came across them.   Just search "venom 250 sierranick62"

I'm leaning towards the race venom.  I want a mean and loud sounding exhaust right now lol.  Hopefully I won't regret it haha.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/22/2019 at 8:42 AM, Fluffy said:

Sounds awesome is it one in dual out muffler or one in and one out muffler. U get rid of the sound resenators and put new pipes. 

1 in 2 out.  You can buy it in pretty much any configuration you want though.  This was the easiest to just replace the stock muffler since I don't cars about true duals or anything like that.  I got the flapper cut out and covered up the resonators myself.