Trailboss exhaust screens

So been seeing that if you cover the 6 screens on the exhaust it improves the sound "alittle" my question is between the screens and the flapper inside the exhaust pipe.if you cover those and clamp the flapper open will that affect the motor and your mpg in any way.

Not sure on mpg, but I doubt it would hurt  anything. I did it to mine last night using metal duct tape for the screens and 2 clamps with a small piece of steel to hold the butterfly valve open.  Took maybe 10 minutes in total.  

Sound is a little louder on startup, but not much of a difference.  I still want a louder muffler.  

9 hours ago, Ion said:

Not sure on mpg, but I doubt it would hurt  anything. I did it to mine last night using metal duct tape for the screens and 2 clamps with a small piece of steel to hold the butterfly valve open.  Took maybe 10 minutes in total.  

Sound is a little louder on startup, but not much of a difference.  I still want a louder muffler.  

added a flowmaster 40 series and covered the screens... pretty happy

22 minutes ago, NHAT4 said:

added a flowmaster 40 series and covered the screens... pretty happy

Do you happen to have a video?  That's exactly what I'm considering doing.

Edited by SqueakyBoot

On 7/13/2019 at 10:24 PM, SqueakyBoot said:

If you don't mind, that'd be great!  I have yet to see or find a video with this setup.  Thank you!

Cold start.    

Idle.     

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 12:14 PM, Charlie2019 said:

So been seeing that if you cover the 6 screens on the exhaust it improves the sound "alittle" my question is between the screens and the flapper inside the exhaust pipe.if you cover those and clamp the flapper open will that affect the motor and your mpg in any way.

Shouldn’t affect fuel economy or the motor. The adaptive valve (flapper) is to help reduce low frequency noise described by other posters as droning sound & caused by cylinder deactivation.  The screens, I believe, replace the bean can resonators which also are there to reduce noise.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:33 PM, tlwilson said:

Has anyone added an aftermarket exhaust with the new 5.3L DFM? If so, can you hear it drop cylinders?

Just a flowmaster muffler... and no you can't hear any change

• 5 months later...

I clamped the flapper valve open on my 2020 trailboss and it did make it louder on startup but it makes zero difference when you accelerate because it will be pinned open anyways. My fuel milage on the same road driving the same way for 50 miles was 14.1 clamped open and 17.8 with it working normally! I will leave it alone for the little bit of noise I gained at idle!!!