How are you all carrying kayaks?

On 7/15/2019 at 12:41 PM, Controller23 said:

Looks nice but not when I have a travel trailer too :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would check out the new Yakima bed rails then. The "Outpost" looks solid even just for better cargo management. I'm not sure if that model would clear the roof, though.

https://www.yakima.com/mount-location/truck-racks?product_type=57

I put a carabiner on the front of each kayak, then in the bed, I have a chain that connects to each side of the bed via carabiner.  Then I just put the kayaks in and hook them to chain, all four stay put, the bottoms ones are right side up and then the top kayaks are upside down.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:38 AM, UGADawgs said:

We usually put our kayaks on top of our Outback, but thinking about using one of these. About $60 at harbor freight or home depot.

https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-extender-69650.html

image_21914.jpg

This is what I settled for. One of my kayaks is a 16' touring kayak and the extension worked perfect. I ended up  covering the steel tube with pool noodles to protect the fiberglass yak from being damaged. The extra tie-downs are excellent for hauling a pile of kayaks in the bed.

On 7/15/2019 at 3:38 AM, UGADawgs said:

image_21914.jpg

When I first saw the picture, i thought that was the dumbest shit thinking it was just a stand and the bottom was a shadow. Had to look again and now that makes sense.

I'm back in Dana Point and I see a lot of kayakers out there. A lot use station wagons and put it on top. Trucks, sometimes they just put it in the bed and rope the back part down with a red rag at the end, allowing it to stick out by around 4 or 5 feet in the air. A lot of towels would also be used to prevent damage to the kayak.

Edited by Wiggums

Magnum Headache rack and spyder rear pocket rack... Have a camper too. Rear rack just drops in and removed when not in use... It can be perm mounted but not in my application

0711191311a_HDR.jpg

0711191311_HDR.jpg

Edited by NHAT4
more info