Oil recommendations for my "new" 2500 Suburban with 8.1L

2004 Suburban 2500, 4x4, 8.1L engine with Whipple Supercharger.  208,000 miles

I live in Florida and will be doing mostly towing (short distances of 5-10 miles).  No hills, no cold weather driving.

Interested in your thoughts on a proper oil (weight/viscosity, brand, etc.) for these conditions.

I've got a suspicion there's a little leaking going on and will check into that (gaskets, oil pain, etc. - we'll see).

10w30???  Synth or synth blend?

Can't go wrong with a synthetic that is for sure.  I would go with a 5w-30 if it was mine.    10w-30 wouldn't hurt a thing either.  Take your pick off the Walmart shelf on any of these weights.

Oil leaks suck.  Get it all sealed up and enjoy that new ride. 

Oil filters as well pick your choice of either house brand Car Quest, Napa or you can go with AC/Delco or Wix.  

What are your plans for oil changes,  5K miles?

Has the differential fluids been changed as well as the rest of the fluids?  Power steering always seems to get neglected. 

Edited by Black02Silverado

I run 10W30 full synthetic right now.  6qts to change and I always keep at least 2 qts in the burb for when my "check oil level" light comes on about every 1k miles. 

There's an oil consumption tsp out there for it to change out and re-torque the intake plenum bolts that's supposedly to help with oil consumption. Mine burns it and leaks it but oils cheap so I just keep it filled and it's happy. 

9 minutes ago, AP Guy said:

I run 10W30 full synthetic right now.  6qts to change and I always keep at least 2 qts in the burb for when my "check oil level" light comes on about every 1k miles. 

There's an oil consumption tsp out there for it to change out and re-torque the intake plenum bolts that's supposedly to help with oil consumption. Mine burns it and leaks it but oils cheap so I just keep it filled and it's happy. 

Funny you mention the TSB.  My 2002 was using a qt every 5k miles.  Then an oil leak started and in my hunt to fix it, one thing was to replace the intake and valley cover gasket along with the oil pressure switch and valve covers.  Turns out that was my oil consumption issue.  Once I replaced all that no more consumption and I'm at 189k miles.  So it might be worth looking into.  

So after doing a lot of research I'm thinking of starting off with Mobil Delvac 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, Super 1300

Given that I do no cold weather driving, and this oil apparently doesn't burn up like the others, I'm hoping that with my light usage and towing it will help. 

Planning on replacing all fluids,  spark plugs, spark plug wires, oxygen sensors, etc.  I got a great deal on the SUV and have an extra $1500 from the sale of my car that I'm allocating to new parts, fluids, etc. 

You might try the new Shell Rotella Gas Truck engine oil available at Wally World in 5 gallon jugs, and Autozone, Napa, and other places have the jugs and quarts.  It is full synthetic, all mileage, tough enough for extreme usage, and contains a modified additive pack from their diesel oil that keeps your engine clean.  That's why they invented this oil--people were using their diesel oil in gas trucks, so they made this oil especially for gas trucks but with their diesel additive pack.  It's rated better than their own Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability, which are both rated better than Mobil1.  No, I'm not a Shell dealer.  Yes, I use the Gas Truck 5W-30 and my engine noise is lessened, oil usage is down, and the oil looks cleaner longer.  

Edited by MaverickZ71