2018 Coolant smell/leak? Cycling Thermostat TSB related?

Been a lurker here for a long time and finally needed to make an account.

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain with the 5.3 / 8-speed, 22,000 miles, that was built in Mexico on 2/2018.

Have noticed a coolant smell when walking around the truck for quite some time with a very slow level drop in the overflow tank.

Did some searching on here and found the following two posts that seem to cover 2014 and 2015 truck with this problem.

I do have one crack on the driver side aluminum which can be see in the photo attached.

The smell is stronger when you get your nose near the area but I have not seen any visible staining or dripping yet.

Wondering if anyone has had a truck outside of the TSB range with this problem and what you (and the dealer) did about it?

Looking for any input before visiting the dealer.

Thanks

Image1.JPG

27 minutes ago, bass685 said:

Been a lurker here for a long time and finally needed to make an account.

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain with the 5.3 / 8-speed, 22,000 miles, that was built in Mexico on 2/2018.

Have noticed a coolant smell when walking around the truck for quite some time with a very slow level drop in the overflow tank.

Did some searching on here and found the following two posts that seem to cover 2014 and 2015 truck with this problem.

I do have one crack on the driver side aluminum which can be see in the photo attached.

The smell is stronger when you get your nose near the area but I have not seen any visible staining or dripping yet.

Wondering if anyone has had a truck outside of the TSB range with this problem and what you (and the dealer) did about it?

Looking for any input before visiting the dealer.

Thanks

Image1.JPG

Welcome to the site.

Don't worry about the TSB, you have the bumper to bumper warranty still intact will only 22000 miles.

Take it in and get it fixed for free while you can.

Make a list of other concerns while they have it to look at also.