Steering techniques

HeySkippyDog

Anybody here ever heard of "shuffle steering"? It's apparently an advanced driving technique taught at police academies everywhere.

My first exposure to it was 3 years ago, while dating a police officer. She would always criticize my overhand driving technique.

So my response was to have her drive my truck at the time (2014 Double Cab 1500) and shuffle steer it as she described. She almost drove us into her neighborhood marker sign.

This led to endless laughter on my end and telling her to take notes anytime I made s minor maneuver.

But just yesterday I thought about it again. Used the technique on my crew cab (I've had the truck 2 years, I'm familiar) and Holy balls, can I ever make a 90 degree turn like a boss, and still be prepared for another obstacle. Guess the last laugh is on me.

There are tons of YouTube vids out there on it, but this one's pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

It's a very common technique, actually.

I was taught to shuffle steer in 1987 when I had my class 1 driving school in Germany.

For day to day driving I steer overhand. Out of laziness or because I'm holding a coffee mug in my other hand.

But in challenging situations I fall back to shuffle steering. Never really noticed it until you posted here.

Thx.

so long

j-ten-ner

• 3 weeks later...

Without having tried it, I don't think this would work with a manual transmission if you have to shift while turning. 

Is it actually the caster effect that straightens the wheels out or is it the power steering? The steer wheels on a car are not attached the same way casters are. 

On 8/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, j-ten-ner said:

I was taught to shift down before the turn.

so long

j-ten-ner

You're right about down shifting as you slow to make a turn but what about turning when you're starting from a stop, say from a light or stop sign?