2019 AT4 Shifter stuck in park!!!

On 1/10/2020 at 8:58 AM, BIGDOGx said:

Why not give it a try, it's obvious the column is bad and if you were out of warranty your dealer would no doubt very much come to that conclusion right before handing you a 1-2k bill for the repair. Dealers have no troubles throwing parts at a no longer under warranty car. If anything at least with this one they are not trying to literally use tape or sealant to fix their design flaws.

I'm going to my dealership this morning. I'll come respond later with a follow up of what goes down.

Edit: I took my truck to the dealership and scheduled service for the recalls, I spoke to the dealership manager and my sales guy and told them the issue. The sales guy could not get the issue to be replicated until I got into the driver seat and made it happen. The sales guy then got into the driver seat and could not get it out of park.

During the service this Thursday they are going to look at the problem. They will run a full diagnostic, software updates and will be investigating to see if this is an interlock issue.

When you press on the break in the 2019-2020's you are supposed to hear the click of the lock disengaging, if you don't it means that it is stuck and won't come unlocked. What ever the makes that click and disengages the lock is what is causing this issue. 

I will follow up again Thursday but I'm not going to have my truck torn apart for simple sensor / interlock issue. However, I won't stop fighting over this issue till its solved.

Edited by FknLeon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened to my truck the day I bought it, at the dealership.  one of the salesmen and the service guy came out (both owners also) and said they have had the same issue and had a fix/explanation. 

Not long ago trucks used a key in the column to start the truck and lock the column.  Today we have a push button on the dash instead, so the column lock is not the same any longer.  the shifter is locked into park instead.  

Don't grab the wheel as you are getting into and out of the truck and the problem will go away, the pull/tug on the wheel put it into lock.  if you forget and do it anyway it will take you turning your wheel lock to lock numerous times and then it will still be difficult to get it to shift out of park.

I've trained myself (and my wife) to use the grab handle instead of the wheel and haven't had it lock up since. 

I think we are talking about two different issues. My issue also happens when the car is already on.  I then put it into park while the car is running like you would waiting at the drive through of the bank. Then when I step on the brake and go to put it in drive it won’t let me pull the column shifter towards me to put it in Drive.  There is some kind of glitch, either a sensor or a software issue.  It seems as if it is not releasing the interlock once the brake is pressed. But I have checked that when I am having this issue my brake lights are still working so my brake sensor seems to be OK. 

Hey guys, sorry to hear about your issues but I have a 2020 Trail Boss and I’ve recently had these issues as well. I took it back to the dealer and they inspected it and diagnosed it as a faulty shifter actuator. I know exactly what you guys mean when you say you hit the break and you don’t hear the click that should send a signal to unlock the gear shifter. When the part arrives they will install it on my truck and I’ll let you guys know if this fixes the issue. Best of luck to you all getting your issues resolved as well. 

So quick update. They found the issue (last weekend) in my truck. Apparently a module that is linked to the shift interlock was faulty. Problem is my truck has been at the service center for a week and they can't get parts for any trucks due to the strike that happened. I am going to my dealership today to see if I can just take my truck back till the part comes in. They had to initiate a national search for the part and I return to work on February 3rd so I kinda would like my truck back.

Edited by FknLeon

Glad they found the issue. It sounds like the same diagnosis they found on mine. And I was told the same thing with regards to the parts not being in stock. So I went back and got my truck and I’ll just take it back to them once they receive the part. 

Edited by Darren33

6 hours ago, Darren33 said:

Glad they found the issue. It sounds like the same diagnosis they found on mine. And I was told the same thing with regards to the parts not being in stock. So I went back and got my truck and I’ll just take it back to them once they receive the part. 

Went in today, they closed the service center early. Going in Monday and going to take my truck back. I'll put up with the issue until they get the parts.

UPDATE: GM called me today and informed me that they now understand the issue and have determined that new modules need to be produced and will be arriving in warehouses for delivery about sometime near next week. 

I will get any official parts and part numbers for the community so that we can directly identify the module / part and have your dealership replace it. Once again if I have a update I will post it here. 

No way to replicate. I have the same issue and got the same response from dealer when I took truck in a month ago. My car is going back to dealership on Tuesday since it started acting up again. In the meantime I called GM directly to have it documented. Maybe you should as well. If enough people are having the same issue GM should really spend more time figuring what is the faulty part and lot number that needs to be replaced.