I was trying to hook up a second battery to my 2016 silverado. I have upgraded my stock speakers and added 2 10in subwoofers. My battery after 3 years went out and wanted to add a second one. Would it better if i took it to a professional or dose anyone know how to do it?

I have dual batteries. On a stinger isolator. However it is set to connect if key is turned on or a switch is thrown. It is super easy install. 3 cables and small 2 wires and it is done. with the right battery it fits the factory tray and for under $10 you can get a hold down and a bolt.

How are you using the truck?  Do you have it sit at the campground with the engine off and the radio going or just with the engine running?

If it's just with the engine running, then a second battery isn't going to help, as typically when one battery dies, it quickly takes out the other one as well.  If you also added an amp, depending on how much power it needs, you may want to install a larger alternator so it can keep up with the higher power drain.

But, if you are using the battery with the engine off, then a second battery is a good idea.

5 hours ago, davester said:

How are you using the truck?  Do you have it sit at the campground with the engine off and the radio going or just with the engine running?

If it's just with the engine running, then a second battery isn't going to help, as typically when one battery dies, it quickly takes out the other one as well.  If you also added an amp, depending on how much power it needs, you may want to install a larger alternator so it can keep up with the higher power drain.

But, if you are using the battery with the engine off, then a second battery is a good idea.

It really when the engine is running. I do have an amp connected to it. So its better just to get a strong alternator?

Depends on how much power the amp you added uses.  If your current alternator can't keep up with everything being on at the same time (lights, a/c/heater/radio/engine), then a larger alternator would be a good idea.

It could also be that your battery just happened to fail soon after you installed the amp/speakers, and your existing alternator can keep up with it, and all you need to do is replace the battery.