Looks like I have similar problem with iPhone and the navigation system that the 1/2 tons have.

Anytime my phone has been connected to the truck, it turns the volume on my IPhone all the way down so I don’t hear phone calls or messages.

Guess it wasn’t fixed for the 2020HD’s or at least not in my case.

same here, just got my truck last Thursday and now that i have read this post i know why i have been missing calls and then finding the volume turned down, i was blaming my wife....LOL.  is there a fix?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to bump, but I think I have it figured out for me. . My '16 Sierra and my '18 Terrain do the same thing and it drove me crazy. There's an option on the phone that helped me. Go into settings>sounds. Uncheck the box that says "Change with buttons" 

This will stop the car from changing the notification/ringer volume and still allow it to change media volume.

Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 10.17.07 PM.png

Mine was low when I first got my 2020, the trick is to use the iPhone volume buttons when connecting to a call, I.E. when its ringing use the iPhone buttons to crank the volume up.  After I did that one time, hasn't been an issue for couple of months.

• 5 weeks later...

I've spent hours on the phone with GM Tech support and also Apple and have had no success in resolving this issue. They seem to blame each for a compatibility issue, although GM says they are aware of the problem. Does anybody know of a work around? I love my new truck but this driving me crazy.  

I've spent hours on the phone with GM Tech support and also Apple and have had no success in resolving this issue. They seem to blame each for a compatibility issue, although GM says they are aware of the problem. Does anybody know of a work around? I love my new truck but this driving me crazy.  

I posted this in another thread.

I played around with this a little more and it seemed to have corrected the issue in my truck, 2020 Sierra 2500. For reference, I have an iPhone 11 Pro paired to it.

I originally tried the “change with buttons” fix but that didn’t work for me. I also noticed that no matter what I changed the volume buttons on my phone to, a few seconds later they’d go right back down when I was connected to the truck.
There also appears to be a couple different volume settings when your phone is connected via Bluetooth: media, ringtone, in call, etc.
I used my wife’s phone to call me when my phone was connected to the truck. When my phone started to ring, I adjusted the “ringtone volume” higher via the truck radio volume knob and it has stayed louder, even when my phone shows the volume only on two bars or so.

I went through & adjusted all the volumes via truck controls & they have appeared to stay where I left them, despite my phone volume showing it’s low when it connects to the vehicle. My phone is actually always on the vibrate only setting & yet when I’m connected to the truck, the audible ringtone volume is always where I set it the first time.

Thanks for the reply Ryno12. After you adjusted the ringtone volume, did the volume for text alerts stay up as well?  

My truck doesn’t have text alerts nor the native text app. Since I always leave my phone in vib mode, I just hear the phone vibrating in the console when I get a text.

I’m really disappointed with GM for getting rid of the native hands free text app.