2019 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 bluish/white smoke on initial start

I recently purchased a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 with 3,000 miles on it. The first time I remotely started it (one week after purchase) I noticed a bluish/white smoke coming from the exhaust (see video below). I have continued to remotely start it to monitor the exhaust and it’s output. The only time the vehicle smokes is on initial start up in the morning or anytime the vehicle has remained off for longer than an hour or so. I contacted the dealership and corporate GM; both have told me that this is a normal characteristic of these vehicles. I am not willing to accept that at this time. Is any other 2019 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 owners dealing with this same issue? If so please let me know. 

Thanks,

JO

703C979D-F1F2-4700-905B-DF2E566F8D04.png

Edited by Justin Odom

My 2004 5.3 Silverado was doing this on a cold start up. When I first got into it in the morning to drive to work and after a 10 hour shift when I came out to start it to leave. The blue/white smoke would come out for like 5 seconds then go away. When I first noticed the smoke it was a small amount but eventually it was a huge cloud of blue/white smoke. Again only like for the first 5 seconds or so on a cold start up. I ended up replacing the PCV valve (Which was internal on the inside of the drivers side valve cover if I remember correctly) and the blue/white smoke went away on a cold start up.  Apparently the PCV valve was acting up and oil would migrate to the throttle body area when the truck was shut off after driving (warm motor) to and from work. Then when i went to start the tuck up all that oil that pooled in the throttle body would come out as blue/white smoke. Now imagine all the flack I took from all the F-150 coworkers who would sit out and wait for me to start my truck after work and laugh their butts off. It was HORRIBLE!!! lol.

Now I know these new T1's are a completely different set up then my 04 Silverado but maybe start there (PCV valve probably still internal on a valve cover / that's if these new 5.3's still have them?)

Picture of the valve cover that I replaced on my 04 to show where the (left side of the picture) where the PCV valve tube hooked into that went up to the throttle body.

Hopefully this helps and good luck!

PCV.PNG

This a normal thing, on cold start up ignition timing is retarded and its purposely running rich to light off the cat as quickly as possible. As soon as the engine is warmed the sooner its running clean. 

9 minutes ago, Bikeman said:

This a normal thing, on cold start up ignition timing is retarded and its purposely running rich to light off the cat as quickly as possible. As soon as the engine is warmed the sooner its running clean. 

Blue smoke is not normal. Blue smoke is oil burning, not an engine running rich on fuel. 

Edited by Limelight

13 hours ago, Justin Odom said:

I recently purchased a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 with 3,000 miles on it. The first time I remotely started it (one week after purchase) I noticed a bluish/white smoke coming from the exhaust (see video below). I have continued to remotely start it to monitor the exhaust and it’s output. The only time the vehicle smokes is on initial start up in the morning or anytime the vehicle has remained off for longer than an hour or so. I contacted the dealership and corporate GM; both have told me that this is a normal characteristic of these vehicles. I am not willing to accept that at this time. Is any other 2019 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 owners dealing with this same issue? If so please let me know. 

Thanks,

JO

703C979D-F1F2-4700-905B-DF2E566F8D04.png

2AC7F6F6-8644-455B-95C5-DC57BB02DE9A.MOV 3.84 MB · 4 downloads

What was their response?  I agree with Limelight and blue smoke is not condensation.  Be polite but persistent in getting this remedied.  Do you know what the first 3k miles of this truck looked like?  Was it a "demo"?  

22 minutes ago, Donstar said:

What was their response?  I agree with Limelight and blue smoke is not condensation.  Be polite but persistent in getting this remedied.  Do you know what the first 3k miles of this truck looked like?  Was it a "demo"?  

Their response was

“We appreciate this clarification, Justin. Please know we will be reaching out to your dealership to discuss this determination further. When we have additional clarification, you will be notified. Your continued patience is valued.” 

Yes, it was “demo”. I have been polite but stern in that I will not accept that it is a “normal characteristic”. I cannot be convinced that every 2019 Silverado on the road is smoking like my truck does on initial start up.

1 hour ago, Justin Odom said:

Yes, it was “demo”. I have been polite but stern in that I will not accept that it is a “normal characteristic”. I cannot be convinced that every 2019 Silverado on the road is smoking like my truck does on initial start up.

I definitely would not accept this as normal.  Blue smoke from a new vehicle is unacceptable.   BTW,   I asked if it was a demo because I suspected this by the low mileage.  My experiences with demos has never made the cost savings worthwhile.  I am sure most people have had positive demo buying experiences but I'd never buy one again.  

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I definitely would not accept this as normal.  Blue smoke from a new vehicle is unacceptable.   BTW,   I asked if it was a demo because I suspected this by the low mileage.  My experiences with demos has never made the cost savings worthwhile.  I am sure most people have had positive demo buying experiences but I'd never buy one again.  

I agree, and i can speak from personal experience. My previous car was a demo/loaner and through the 2 years that i owned it, it was nothing but issues. All issues were fixed under warranty but the time investment was not worth it to me. Eventually got rid of it and bought the AT4. 

The main issue with a demo is, since no one actually "owns" it, if it's a lemon, it won't be spotted by anyone since it's not really "his/her" car. Admittedly, this is a bit rare but it does happen. @Justin Odom, hope they fix it for you.