Opinions needed on how to fix 2003 silverado rear differential

I have a 2003 silverado 1500 5.3l 4wd LS model.  The carrier bearing are destroyed and  I cannot even turn the wheels to look at the gears as there is a part of a carrier bearing casing wedged in there. 

I have never rebuilt or did anything like this before.

I checked with a local mechanic and got an estimate of $875 for all bearings replaced but not including any gears that might be messed up.

I looked into carid cardone reman was over $1300 and it has a 3 year warranty. I am concerned that if I ever had to send it back the shipping to me at present is $457 and I am guessing If I would be responsible for paying to send it back and then another charge for a warranty replacement sent back to Montana. So that seems like a bad bet.

I am thinking about trying to do it myself , no exp with this and no idea how to set backlash and the like. Or taking a chance and buying a junkyard rear end assembly and swapping it out.

So I am hoping that you guys can chime in on the best way to get my truck back on the road.

The last time I had the rear diff rebuilt by a local mechanic that came HIGHLY recommended. He replaced all the bearings (pinion bearing was bad) and installed a larger/heavy duty pinion bearing. Its been about 150k miles so far and no problems. Seems like I paid about 850, but would not swear to it.

On a side note, I use the 2001 Sierra to pull trailers. I had torn 3 diffs up in the first 3500 miles (bought the truck brand new), and when the last one went out it was number 13.....

have someone do it, its too hard to get it right without the right tools and knowledge.

Edited by muddkatt

I agree, I was hoping to just get the reman from carid and just swap it out. Not that I have done that before but seems like it could be something that I can do with alot of cussing I am sure. :)

But seems pricey if I could get a Reman locally here in Montana with a decent warranty I would go that route. Just not sure if I can get a reman here. 

The carid one was $966 3yr warranty. But shipping to me was $457 ouch!

I am wondering what other big name reman companies are out there that might be closer driving distance wise for me to save money and go and pick it up.

Recently got laid off and WAS getting ready to Build and deliver furniture and also cut and deliver firewood. So this is really bad timing for this to break. :(

I wouldn’t be scared to change out those 2 side carrier bearings & races, as long as you are sure that’s all it is.

It’s a great time to replace the axle seals & bearings, & add new fluid too.

Otherwise, I would also find a matched gear ratio, entire rear axle assembly from a local wrecking yard....

Also someone is selling a silverado that has a bad transmission but he said he reworked the engine and is asking $1700 for it. Maybe a thought to take the rear end and fix my truck or swap transmissions not sure how hard that would be to do. Then sell whichever truck I don't need to the junkyard.

Edited by Bridger
double posted first reply.

Okay so far I only found one at a junkyard that is 6 hours round trip to pick up. 

Cost is $690 it has 185k miles on it. Core charge $75 bucks but would cost almost that getting it back to the junkyard.

Then there is the cost for gas say $50

I would have to rent a trailer from Uhaul or maybe a pickup truck if I cannot find something to pull the trailer. Probably Another $50 for just the trailer or just the truck rental about a $100 (no trailer) with mileage and gas figured in.

So say around $875 with added items like core charge, new ubolts, gear oil and gasket for a fluid change.

No warranty.

Locally mechanics are quoting $875 just bearing and another $500 is gears are bad in mine rear end.  So possibly $1375 with  a 12 month 12k  mile warranty

Or the one from carid  Around the same $1300 or so. 3 year warranty .But I would have to install it and I have not talked to them on who would pay shipping if anything happened.

So do go with the Junkyard one for $800 and save possibly $500 if the differential is still good?  Possibly wasting $800 and now in the same boat with 2 broken differentials.

Go with the local mechanic

or 

Get the card id one and swap it out myself.

Part of me is thinking drop it off at the local mechanic and I won't have to fight the install.

It may cost just about the same anyway.

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks

I have swapped out a junk yard axle in the past and had good luck. Just make sure to inspect the replacement axle and put in new fluids.

No fear on axle swaps. Easy. But if you feel doubt, take it to the shop. A person has to know when they have reached personal limitations. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I have located a rear end at a junkyard for $325 do you think I can just swap it out and that is it; no kind of yoke adjustments just hook up the drive shaft open the differential to inspect and change the fluid and off I go?