Sportsbar lighting

Thomcat

When installing LEDs/bar lighting on the sports bar, no need for a complicated hookup, dash switches, relays, fuses, or locating a suitable power tap.

All it takes is a 12v (or 5 v depending upon the light requirements) transformer plugged into the bed 110v outlet and wiring extension connected to the lights. The dash 110v outlet switch can then be used to control the lights with no additional components and has a built in green indicator light to show when it is turned on. Same would work for supplemental rear lighting.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

When installing LEDs/bar lighting on the sports bar, no need for a complicated hookup, dash switches, relays, fuses, or locating a suitable power tap.

All it takes is a 12v (or 5 v depending upon the light requirements) transformer plugged into the bed 110v outlet and wiring extension connected to the lights. The dash 110v outlet switch can then be used to control the lights with no additional components and has a built in green indicator light to show when it is turned on. Same would work for supplemental rear lighting.

Can you throw in some pics of your lights, wiring? I've been wondering how to arrange this, mine came with the Sport Bar.  Thanks!!!

Sad is an emotion reserved for humans or animals, not a freakin' truck whose sole purpose is to haul a$$.  One can admire how it looks and runs, but one who loves it has a real hole in their life because it ain't loving you back.

I choose to spend time and money buying quality stuff and a decent home for the wife where it counts. Even the dog gets top notch housing and dog food for a lifetime. I get love back from the wife and dog, all I get from the truck is a monthly fuel bill.

Here's where my values lie - Wife and dog have a roof over their heads; all three garages are used for storage of crap  because one is too shallow and the two side loaders a require a back in K turns. So the truck, SUV and sedan stay outside where birds can $hit on it and the first time any one of them, pi$$es me off, lets me down, or is out of warranty it's on the dealer's used car lot before the next Sun sets and it's taillights down the road in a new one. Better 3 cheap Chevys than one expensive Benz

2 hours ago, BobbyAlton said:

Can you throw in some pics of your lights, wiring? I've been wondering how to arrange this, mine came with the Sport Bar.  Thanks!!!

Not much to show all you need is a $8 12v DC transformer from Amazon or one laying around , $8 for 25 feet of speaker wire or equivalent black wiring , and a set of LED lamps that can be has on EBay for under $25. shipped. Strip all wires and place heat shrink tubing and shrink after wires are connected use or electrical tape. Connect all wires positives and negatives together, run wire under side of bed and up the rear of one of the bars, cover splices with heat shrink tubing. Want to use the outlet for something else, either unplug it or use a $2 multi tap. For under $50 a set of operating lights with the dash button already installed. Can always remove the whole system with no evidence it was ever installed. Less than 1 hour work with no drilling snaking, dash disassembly or panel removal.

Of course if want it to be OEM for your brand new truck you can always spend $995 for thje OEM lights which look identical to the and do it the Chevy way which includes removal of the sports bar snaking the power wire down the top hole through the left tube into the front stake hole......good luck getting past the fuel filler, down along the chassis to the fuse block and then snake wiring through a hole in the firewall to a switch on the dash. And of course dont screw up reconnecting the CMHSL on the back of the sportsbar. I was stupid enough to do it for the '16 and smart enough not to try it that was again. Of course the dealer would be happy to connect it for another $300 or so I'm sure than anyone that thinks it sad is ready to fork over $1000+ for the honor of OEM

By the way since you have the sportsbar....a nice way to customize it is to take a piece of black plastic textured on one side, spray paint the other side the body color (or whatever color you want) of the truck and stick it to the back of the sportsbar behind the stamped out Silverado logo.

DSCN0640.JPG

DSCN0642.JPG

DSCN0641.JPG

DSCN0645.JPG

DSCN0646.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

Not much to show all you need is a $8 12v DC transformer from Amazon or one laying around , $8 for 25 feet of speaker wire or equivalent black wiring , and a set of LED lamps that can be has on EBay for under $25. shipped. Strip all wires and place heat shrink tubing and shrink after wires are connected use or electrical tape. Connect all wires positives and negatives together, run wire under side of bed and up the rear of one of the bars, cover splices with heat shrink tubing. Want to use the outlet for something else, either unplug it or use a $2 multi tap. For under $50 a set of operating lights with the dash button already installed. Can always remove the whole system with no evidence it was ever installed. Less than 1 hour work with no drilling snaking, dash disassembly or panel removal.

Of course if want it to be OEM for your brand new truck you can always spend $995 for thje OEM lights which look identical to the and do it the Chevy way which includes removal of the sports bar snaking the power wire down the top hole through the left tube into the front stake hole......good luck getting past the fuel filler, down along the chassis to the fuse block and then snake wiring through a hole in the firewall to a switch on the dash. And of course dont screw up reconnecting the CMHSL on the back of the sportsbar. I was stupid enough to do it for the '16 and smart enough not to try it that was again. Of course the dealer would be happy to connect it for another $300 or so I'm sure than anyone that thinks it sad is ready to fork over $1000+ for the honor of OEM

By the way since you have the sportsbar....a nice way to customize it is to take a piece of black plastic textured on one side, spray paint the other side the body color (or whatever color you want) of the truck and stick it to the back of the sportsbar behind the stamped out Silverado logo.

DSCN0640.JPG

DSCN0642.JPG

DSCN0641.JPG

DSCN0645.JPG

DSCN0646.JPG

My Custom trim level TB doesn't come with the outlet in the bed, nor the switch on the stereo stack  

GIF.gif

• Haha 1