1500 Towing Upgrades

So i’m looking to see what i could do to my 06 sierra 1500 5.3 to make it a little more row friendly. Talked to a couple people and they threw ideas at me like, diff cover to hold more fluid, trans pans also to hold more fluid, and a bigger trans cooler. Any other ideas? 

Transcooler, rear gears and a tune.  Also, I put airbags on my 06 and it is a lot nicer to tow with now. Towed a 7500lb fifth wheel loaded with all the family in the truck as well without any problems except trans temp. I got a obd reader and the Torque Pro app to monitor that so I don't burn it up though. I just don't expect it to tow like a Duramax and that helps a lot lol. 

10 minutes ago, Brian715 said:

Transcooler, rear gears and a tune.  Also, I put airbags on my 06 and it is a lot nicer to tow with now. Towed a 7500lb fifth wheel loaded with all the family in the truck as well without any problems except trans temp. I got a obd reader and the Torque Pro app to monitor that so I don't burn it up though. I just don't expect it to tow like a Duramax and that helps a lot lol. 

What have you done with your rear gears?

Sorry that was a little misleading. I still have 3.42s  because frankly I only tow near my Max a couple of times a year and 2000rpm at 90mph is really nice,  but towing would be much better with a 4.10 or even a 3.73.  I have a set of front and rear 3.73s that I plan to swap in. I had an 01 burb with 4.10s and it towed very well for a gas engine. 

6 hours ago, Stefan12 said:

what do you mean about your comment about the diff cover and less aeration

The OEM diff covers are nice and round,and the diff gear pushes the fluid up and around following the cover.  The bigger 3rd party covers instead have the cover squared off, so the fluid goes straight up the back of the pan, and falls straight back down, into other fluid coming up, resulting in more aeration.  As well, 3rd party covers generally seem to have the fill port higher than the OEM port, so you can't get the right fluid level (more fluid actually makes things worse, as it drags more on the diff, resulting in more heat being generated).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 9:35 PM, Stefan12 said:

So i’m looking to see what i could do to my 06 sierra 1500 5.3 to make it a little more row friendly. Talked to a couple people and they threw ideas at me like, diff cover to hold more fluid, trans pans also to hold more fluid, and a bigger trans cooler. Any other ideas? 

beefier drive shaft

20190916_154408.jpg

If your gauge cluster doesn't have a trans temp gauge, adding one wouldn't hurt if you are planning on towing a lot.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 2:11 PM, davester said:

The OEM diff covers are nice and round,and the diff gear pushes the fluid up and around following the cover.  The bigger 3rd party covers instead have the cover squared off, so the fluid goes straight up the back of the pan, and falls straight back down, into other fluid coming up, resulting in more aeration.  As well, 3rd party covers generally seem to have the fill port higher than the OEM port, so you can't get the right fluid level (more fluid actually makes things worse, as it drags more on the diff, resulting in more heat being generated).

That's BS is from BANKS he failed to prove that. He never provided results.

• Confused 1