Optioning LTZ/SLT vs HC/Denali

savaytse66

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Not that it matters, it looks good either way. Just the nerd in me noticed something different about it in the T1s.

I'm the same way to an extent - can fascinate me geeking out on understanding how things are made or how certain appearances are being achieved.  It can also be a bit of a letdown when you realize certain corners are being cut to save a few pennies here or there (especially considering some of the criticisms, at least the ones that held some water).

Call me a recently christened truck snob, but I didn't pay much attention to the Chevy side prior to making up my mind on which of the 2 brands I wanted to buy.  Have owned both brands in the past & wasn't disappointed with either.  Not claiming to be right or wrong with next portion but some of the Chevys look really good to me & others I just don't like at all - I think it's when I see the true side views & has something to do with the grilles & color choices (maybe different trims) but something just looks off to me on some trucks - can't really put my thumb on it.  Don't want to start ill feelings or any of that crap (again) as that's not my intent when discussing something like this so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Wheelguy

Yeah, I could have probably went either way this time around. Maybe a slight preference to the Chevy, but having had a GMC sitting in the driveway for a few days, I warmed up to it just the same. Both have their angles and trim levels that don’t jive with me, but both are much more striking to look at than the previous generation at least.

I went through just about every stage when shopping, and landed on an LTZ or HC as the Denali and AT4 can’t get NHT, and SLT can’t get the tech package. I researched forever, built my dream trucks in either trim online, and when I saw an LTZ equipped identically to the truck I had been building, just black instead of blue, I decided to go for it.

To be totally honest, I love the truck but it has tested my patience at several points in ownership. Nevertheless, all has been made right and later production 2019s are much much better out of the gate. I would do it all again, but waiting until this time of the year would have been much smarter than buying in January. Ah well, the heart wants what it wants.

Highly recommend playing with the build tool for several hours on top of just looking at the trucks in person. There are a lot of detail differences in equipment and yes, some deleted features, that are easy to overlook until after you buy. Don’t be “that guy”...

• Like 1

OP I’m not sure if it’s a high priority item for you or not. But the power up and down tailgate comes standard on the HC. And I believe available as an option on the LTZ. Just something you might want to  consider. So far I’m very happy with my 6.2 HC.

Edited by 7ultra
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, 7ultra said:

OP I’m not sure if it’s a high priority item for you or not. But the power up and down tailgate comes standard on the HC. And I believe available as an option on the LTZ. Just something you might want to  consider. So far I’m very happy with my 6.2 HC.

Good point & in 2020 Chevy is getting the MultiPro tailgate, if I'm not mistaken - will be interesting to see if power up/down stays with Chevy or comes to GMC or if it's all easy drop due to MultiPro (which I feel is much heavier than normal tailgate).

Yeah, the power gate comes in the LTZ premium package. It’s useful but brings up another point in choosing between the trucks, GMC has the Multi-Pro which many may find more appealing. 

I don't think Chevy is getting it at least until 2021 and all speculation even at that point. The 2020 1500 High Country’s I’ve seen don’t have it and it’s not in the build tool either for this upcoming year.

Regardless, I think it will always be either/ or. Either power up or Multi-Pro. The Multi-Pro gate feels about 4x heavier (no exaggeration) than my Chevy tailgate. They would definitely need a bigger motor to power that beast up. I don’t see it happening with the motor I have. It sounds kind of “weak”...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Yeah, I could have probably went either way this time around. Maybe a slight preference to the Chevy, but having had a GMC sitting in the driveway for a few days, I warmed up to it just the same. Both have their angles and trim levels that don’t jive with me, but both are much more striking to look at than the previous generation at least.

I went through just about every stage when shopping, and landed on an LTZ or HC as the Denali and AT4 can’t get NHT, and SLT can’t get the tech package. I researched forever, built my dream trucks in either trim online, and when I saw an LTZ equipped identically to the truck I had been building, just black instead of blue, I decided to go for it.

To be totally honest, I love the truck but it has tested my patience at several points in ownership. Nevertheless, all has been made right and later production 2019s are much much better out of the gate. I would do it all again, but waiting until this time of the year would have been much smarter than buying in January. Ah well, the heart wants what it wants.

Highly recommend playing with the build tool for several hours on top of just looking at the trucks in person. There are a lot of detail differences in equipment and yes, some deleted features, that are easy to overlook until after you buy. Don’t be “that guy”...

I might have waited had I known what 2020 was bringing & possibly chosen a HC.  I agree there is some like & not sure about between both brands concerning styling.  My tastes lean more towards the big slab surfaces with smooth transitions (loved the GMT900 SUVs).  I tend to feel most of today's styling is just busier than I prefer (too many lines) but not so bad it's going to steer me away from the trucks.  You could say the GMT900 & K2 had to grow on me much more than the T1.  I know my tastes are not like everyone else's - but I am really over the fender flares being in the sheet metal & the gaps from top of tires to wheel arch openings starting to grow again.  Doesn't have to have the slammed look but please, no 80's Ram looks eitherr.  22" wheels are ginormous when standing beside them.  Too bad that's what it takes to fill in those gaps these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Yeah, the power gate comes in the LTZ premium package. It’s useful but brings up another point in choosing between the trucks, GMC has the Multi-Pro which many may find more appealing. 

I don't think Chevy is getting it at least until 2021 and all speculation even at that point. The 2020 1500 High Country’s I’ve seen don’t have it and it’s not in the build tool either for this upcoming year.

Regardless, I think it will always be either/ or. Either power up or Multi-Pro. The Multi-Pro gate feels about 4x heavier (no exaggeration) than my Chevy tailgate. They would definitely need a bigger motor to power that beast up. I don’t see it happening with the motor I have. It sounds kind of “weak”...

My mistake then - I thought I read that somewhere or maybe it was one of those speculation articles those folks calling themselves journalists or writers create these days.

How does power up do in the winter with ice, etc. - or have you experienced yet?

Edited by Wheelguy

9 minutes ago, Wheelguy said:

Good point & in 2020 Chevy is getting the MultiPro tailgate, if I'm not mistaken - will be interesting to see if power up/down stays with Chevy or comes to GMC or if it's all easy drop due to MultiPro (which I feel is much heavier than normal tailgate).

I looked at at 19 Denali  before I bought my HC. The Denali  had the multi pro tailgate. And you are correct the center portion of the tailgate that drops down  is pretty heavy.  Matter-of-fact my wife had a difficult time raising it.  Also I know it’s not talked about much but I have read a few posts about the center section  of the multi pro tailgate interfering or possibly hitting your trailer hitch ball when it’s in the down position.

1 hour ago, Wheelguy said:

My mistake then - I thought I read that somewhere or maybe it was one of those speculation articles those folks calling themselves journalists or writers create these days.

How does power up do in the winter with ice, etc. - or have you experienced yet?

I think there was actually a Chevy HD mule that had the Multi-Pro, but nothing more has come of it (yet) and no evidence of it making it to the half ton Chevy for 2020, if ever. 

The one time I had a bunch of snow fall between the tailgate and the bed and it didn’t go up on it’s own, but no issues since I put the tonneau cover on. And no problems ever with the motor freezing or anything. 

Really, it’s designed as such if it meets any type of resistance, it’ll beep and power itself back down right away. But you can then close it manually so no biggie.

1 hour ago, 7ultra said:

I looked at at 19 Denali  before I bought my HC. The Denali  had the multi pro tailgate. And you are correct the center portion of the tailgate that drops down  is pretty heavy.  Matter-of-fact my wife had a difficult time raising it.  Also I know it’s not talked about much but I have read a few posts about the center section  of the multi pro tailgate interfering or possibly hitting your trailer hitch ball when it’s in the down position.

Yeah, that’s an easy thing to do but if you have the tailgate all the way down and look from the side you can see it’s only got about 2" of clearance to the flat face of the receiver - if you’re thinking of it, not a current owner. New feature, new problems. The whole tailgate is heavy IMO. I feel it’s close to or maybe a little heavier than GMT900 tailgate, and supposedly all GM trucks with moving metal have aluminum skins now.

Edited by Wheelguy

6 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

I think there was actually a Chevy HD mule that had the Multi-Pro, but nothing more has come of it (yet) and no evidence of it making it to the half ton Chevy for 2020, if ever. 

The one time I had a bunch of snow fall between the tailgate and the bed and it didn’t go up on it’s own, but no issues since I put the tonneau cover on. And no problems ever with the motor freezing or anything. 

Really, it’s designed as such if it meets any type of resistance, it’ll beep and power itself back down right away. But you can then close it manually so no biggie.

I would bet it’s the weight difference concerning why the power up didn’t make it to the Sierras. Regardless, GM flat out stated they’re intending the Sierra to now be the more "luxurious" of the two brands & comes off as a boneheaded decision IMO to not offer that feature on the Sierra had their been a capable motor to handle it. Some of the differences between the two brands, albeit small differences, just don’t make much sense to this dumba$$.

Chevy offers way more accessories for customizing (black nameplates, etc.) that I’m sure would sell with Sierra owners. The lines they’ve drawn just seem a bit unbalanced over the slightest of things. More unpredictable as to what to expect, I guess.

• Like 1