In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2014 Suburban 5.3 LT 4wd - When driving at 35-55 mph at normal accel and normal driving to maintain speed, the truck at RUNNING TEMP will develope a random missing/slipping sensation. Sometimes the RPM will drop like its develped a miss, then other times, it they rise like the trans is slipping. Yes I have had it at two different shops, both driving it at lengths with a scanner attached. NO CODES are ever shown. SO what I have done thus far per many recommendations;

- Trans Flush

- Lucas Oil Trans Treatment

REPLACED;

- Plugs

- Wires

- Coils

CHECKING TONIGHT;

- Fuel Injectors (Ohm Resistance. Not holding my breath on this one since the issue is very random and only at running temp)

Possible thoughts now are maybe water in the fuel? It was low on fuel when the issue started and was very obvious and was all the time. Shop put a bit of gas in it due to the drive testing they were doing and it was a bit better when I picked the truck up to do all the work to it I listed above. I just filled it up with Premium this morning before work so I am going to see how the truck reacts to that as well as put some fuel treatment in. 

Anyone have any other ideas or thoughts? I am about out of them...

19 minutes ago, Nate Thompson said:

2014 Suburban 5.3 LT 4wd - When driving at 35-55 mph at normal accel and normal driving to maintain speed, the truck at RUNNING TEMP will develope a random missing/slipping sensation. Sometimes the RPM will drop like its develped a miss, then other times, it they rise like the trans is slipping. Yes I have had it at two different shops, both driving it at lengths with a scanner attached. NO CODES are ever shown. SO what I have done thus far per many recommendations;

- Trans Flush

- Lucas Oil Trans Treatment

REPLACED;

- Plugs

- Wires

- Coils

CHECKING TONIGHT;

- Fuel Injectors (Ohm Resistance. Not holding my breath on this one since the issue is very random and only at running temp)

Possible thoughts now are maybe water in the fuel? It was low on fuel when the issue started and was very obvious and was all the time. Shop put a bit of gas in it due to the drive testing they were doing and it was a bit better when I picked the truck up to do all the work to it I listed above. I just filled it up with Premium this morning before work so I am going to see how the truck reacts to that as well as put some fuel treatment in. 

Anyone have any other ideas or thoughts? I am about out of them...

Sorry I'll apologize right up front that I'm no help to your situation but I had the EXACT same issue with my 2016.

- mine started around 35k miles

- regular oil changes/trans service/etc etc.

- mine felt transmission-based

- only mods were exhaust and intake

- I had never done an intake flush or cleaning (of the TB or ports/valves)

Do you have an intake? I don't think you can truly troubleshoot it until you have the stock airbox back on and sealed.

I had an airaid MIT, and it affected the truck tremendously. I have a hunch that the intake created those false transmission issues either by leaking, or just poor position/temperature/pressure/flow swings across the MAF sensor. The only other thing I could think of, would be the excessive amount of carbon buildup as shown in multiple threads that occur on these engines. I had never done the seafoam/ DI cleaner injection as suggested by many members.

Hope this helps. and I have a stock intake kicking around if anyone needs it, and would cover shipping.

Edited by tanner709

Yes intake and all that is stock and installed when troubleshooting. Forgot to mention that I removed the intake, replaced seal and cleaned it out thinking it may be a throttle position sensor issue or something.

Seafoam and Injector cleaner is on my list for tonight.

Edited by Nate Thompson

Try few bottles of Techron fuel injector cleaner, no other brand worked for me but Techron in the black bottle.

I had the same misfire feeling and replacing plugs/wires and coils didnt fix it. Not till i used 2 treated tanks of fuel that it went away.

My torque converter was going bad also so that was also slipping along with the misfires i was seeing on the TorqueApp. Now no more misfires.

• Like 1

Well thanks to Ozer for the torque converter comment. This ended up being the issue. I guess on the good side, it should run a crap ton longer now that it has brand new versions of everything else lol.

• Like 1