2018 Denali 6.2L 8 speed - cheat code...

I've had my Denali for about 4 months now and I've gotten into a habit that makes the truck more driveable for me, even if it's at the expense of a few mpg's.  

When I put the truck into forward gear for around town, city driving, I slide the selector lever all the way to L and then use the stalk button to select 5 as the highest gear.  This keeps the rpm's right where I want them for city driving (under 50ish), prevents the unnecessary upshifting to gears 6-8, and keeps the power available for acceleration/re-acceleration without the need for a downshift and the associated delays. 

Anyone else do this?  See any harm in it?   

It ALSO keeps your truck in V8 mode. I have a 2015 6spd and it's never been in D. I put it in manual mode, then 5th gear every single day. 180k on the clock and zero issues motor wise. Trans was just rebuilt 5k ago, but I am tough on this truck. I just dropped it off for a new exhaust system actually, so I'm confident in it enough to put more money into it!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All you are doing is staying out of overdrive. The 2 down shift is still there. I would have to review that pattern in the 8l90 but sounds like you want a tune. Change the mph the shifts are at. Open up more power and remove dod you will increase power shift better keep mpg and not hurt your trans. Win.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

All you are doing is staying out of overdrive. The 2 down shift is still there. I would have to review that pattern in the 8l90 but sounds like you want a tune. Change the mph the shifts are at. Open up more power and remove dod you will increase power shift better keep mpg and not hurt your trans. Win.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I can get higher shift points just by engaging tow/haul mode and keeping the trans in L5.  The last thing I want to do is start altering the factory setup.  Too many headaches for me.  

And although I CAN get downshifts if I lay into the throttle enough, I find that I don't need to do that if my RPM's are already up and I only need moderate acceleration.  It's when the truck is in 8th gear at 50mph that I need to kick down in order to get moving. 

Edited by surfcityz71
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, surfcityz71 said:

I'll have to check next time I'm on the freeway.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

You could be right, but if you are I think you have a problem.

I think as long as you are in manual mode 1-7, it disables the V4 mode, shifting to 8 enables it again even in MM.

• Like 3