Slow fuel fill problems

I recently bought a '14 Silverado and I can't fill the tank without the the nozzle being barely on. This is a big problem since I live in Oregon where you can't fill your own vehicle. I have seen a lot of discussion on slow fuel issues. but I don't really see a consistent fix for the problem.  Is there something that fixes this for everyone? If not I won't be a Silverado owner for long. 

4 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Try blowing through the hose on the canister that goes to the gas tank. Iif nothing theres also one from the fuel tank to filler neck.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I blew air through the line from the canister to the tank. I wasn't able to get to the other vent line. I guess I will see what happens on my next fill up. 

I was hoping to do some mods to the truck but I have spent the last 2 weeks just fixing  problems. So far it has been new tires, new battery, rattle under the dash, now I'm trying to figure out this fueling issue and the squeaking rear brakes on slow stops. 

On my 2009 it had a slow filling issue. I ended up replacing the charcoal canister and fixed the issue. My canister had a oily residue that came out when I applied air. There was a interior filter and it had that same residue. That’s why I chose to replace since I already had it apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I tried blowing air through the vent that goes to the  cap and no change. 
Decided to take it to a local dealership for diagnosing and they say it’s the fill hose. Unfortunately the hose isn’t available currently and they’re not sure when it will be with the GM strike. 

I may order an aftermarket hose but I highly doubt this will fix it. The hose looks perfect inside (with a scope) and out. 

On 10/22/2019 at 1:22 PM, g2full said:

Does yours do this all the time? Only when I run the truck extremely low do I have this issue....

Yes it does but I fixed it today. I removed the fill hose and at the bottom of the hose there’s a plastic piece. It looks like a grill on the top but it’s solid on the sides. It’s probably to keep anyone from stealing your gas. 

That  plastic piece was turned sideways blocking the fuel hose almost completely. Since I had bought a new hose I replaced it but I could have just removed that piece to fix the problem. I will post some pics tomorrow of the piece. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jweb said:

Yes it does but I fixed it today. I removed the fill hose and at the bottom of the hose there’s a plastic piece. It looks like a grill on the top but it’s solid on the sides. It’s probably to keep anyone from stealing your gas. 

That  plastic piece was turned sideways blocking the fuel hose almost completely. Since I had bought a new hose I replaced it but I could have just removed that piece to fix the problem. I will post some pics tomorrow of the piece. 

Good to know. Thanks man! If mine keeps it up, or gets worse I'll have to do the same.

Here are some pics. The first 2 show the piece sideways in the hose. The other pics show the actual part. I hope this helps someone else with the same problem 

B936C7B9-38C0-484E-9509-4104A5C6C6E0.jpeg

A7CE00A3-6FAD-4D17-9B38-3D73D392FF57.jpeg

72EDA155-863E-49AF-BB21-B22E17333D93.jpeg

ED7BDF87-DA24-4D75-9DDD-297DBE676F7B.jpeg

Edited by jweb