Breaking News - UAW and GM Reach Tentative Agreement

Gorehamj

All I know is that they need to hurry the f^^k up and get my radio to the dealer to replace the broken one in my truck.

Edited by Vicarod

All I know is that they need to hurry the f^^k up and get my radio to the dealer to replace the broken one in my truck.

Edited by Vicarod

• 2 years later...

Gone are the good days where employees are paid based on their work ethics.  In my view the unions are what is wrong with this country.  I quit my last job only because it was a union job, my first and last union job.  All the union was good for was for the sorriest employee there to protect them.  It was a joke and those doing a good job where not recognized for their good works. All my other jobs were pay based on employee performance.  Those good employees were also recognized as best workers and paid differently than those that chose to be half-assed workers.  Yes, I was one of those good employees and made sure I was always on time and did my job well.  I was paid handsomely and received promotions over the years, too.  This is the way it should be, IMO.

I have been to the Nissan plant in TN many times that has no union.  Those employees looked quite happy to me.  They have voted against a union many times.  That speaks volumes.  If GM could get rid of the union workers, they would do it in a heartbeat because they know what I have experienced.  The employees are shooting themselves in the foot voting and putting up with the unions.  The bad employees would get filtered out and our trucks would have less issues.

As far as the automation, there are plenty of automation jobs created and available for those who want to learn how to operate and repair them.  That's what I did.

• Like 1

Growing up in New Jersey who’s father had a very large construction business. I could tell stories. He got tired of the BS and moved to Texas and started over. Very stress free. I wouldn’t put them all in the same box. But some are fading into corrupt instructions. I’d start with the teacher union.

• 1 year later...

I worked my whole career in a skilled Union construction trade. We had it a little different in that we could weed out malcontents usually. Might take some time to do it and sometimes your hands were just tied.

But it was a somewhat "self-policing" system.

I will say that the training we received in this field was second to none. Dozens of courses beyond your initial apprenticeship if you had the desire. Some did, some didn't.

A perfect system? No, bit still pretty damn good. At least in my experience.

I will say that there is a growing trend of activism in Unions that I have seen. I know that has been a cause since their inception. But it seems, to me at least, that it's becoming much more militant. Fists clenched in the air, etc.

I always viewed my particular Union as a professional labor organization. The SJW BS was just noise to me.

I will also say that I am against public Unions. With private construction Unions the contractor has a choice between Union or non-Union. "We the people" are given no such choice with public Unions. And we all know how politicians pander for votes by agreeing to virtually every $$ the public Unions request.

And the Teacher's Union. Oh where do I start. They revealed themselves during the latest C-19 fiasco as nothing but gutless hacks. Not all, but certainly no small percentage.

I could go on but I think I'll stop now (Said in my best Forrest Gump voice).

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2019 at 3:06 PM, Penguin VII said:

I wouldn't be either if I was forced to go on strike and get paid $250 a week by a union that I'm paying $100 a month to already so they can tell me I'm welcome to go back to a job that hasn't changed and that I get no additional benefit from.

It seems very clear to me that unions had their time and sad to say but automation is steadily replacing all these jobs. All unions do now is inflate the price of labor. If there were no union than every auto manufacture would surely lower their wages, which would result in people leaving and/or not caring about the work, which would lead to poor QA (which lets face it GM doesn't need any more of) which would then lead to GM folding or smartening up and paying higher wages for more skilled labor.

I feel worst for kids that are just starting work at these companies that are moving as quickly as possible to automate, they are the ones that will feel this the most as their jobs are cut halfway through their career and they are left with few options outside of learning a trade or going back to college. It's also sad that during their studies they have an excessive workload; not everyone uses EduBirdie to solve their tasks. Most students work diligently. Rant over.

I echo your concerns, especially for young workers entering industries that are rapidly becoming automated. At this stage, I believe it's crucial for us to invest in education, skill development, and embrace lifelong learning. This will help us adapt to changes in the job market and capitalize on new opportunities.

Your concerns are valid, and it's important to continue discussing and developing potential solutions to address changes in employment due to automation.

Edited by Marcellus Metz
Editing mistake