Touch-up Paint

Ok, to all of you paint aficionado's out there..

I just picked up a blacked out 2018 z71 with the body color front bumper, the paint is in pretty good shape overall.. except for the typical paint chips that come with having a color matched front end. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to touching them up? I have some AC Delco touch-up paint I can use.. but in my past experience when using it, while doing a good job of covering up chips and blemishes, it always leaves an uneven appearance in comparison the surrounding paint. I'm probably doing something wrong I'm sure, I'll admit paint work is not exactly my forte'. 

I use a rattle can. On the front I sometimes make a template for over spray. Just stand back do several light coats and let it blend. I even do it on big panels. Keep a rag ready just in case. On edges I’ll sometimes use the brush touch up that’s it. Even ifs there’s a slight difference you’ll be the only one that noticed. Doing layers is the key. Later you can always use heavy wax if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I've always been told using a paper match and dipping it in the paint is the best way to apply it. However, no matter what I seem to do it ends up looking awful.

Maybe go to your local body shop and just have them clear the front end to prevent rust? Still would see the chips but they'd be protected..

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 8:23 AM, mistermcgoo said:

Ok, to all of you paint aficionado's out there..

I just picked up a blacked out 2018 z71 with the body color front bumper, the paint is in pretty good shape overall.. except for the typical paint chips that come with having a color matched front end. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to touching them up? I have some AC Delco touch-up paint I can use.. but in my past experience when using it, while doing a good job of covering up chips and blemishes, it always leaves an uneven appearance in comparison the surrounding paint. I'm probably doing something wrong I'm sure, I'll admit paint work is not exactly my forte'. 

Last winter I got stuck behind salt truck. My truck is white and it beat the hell out of it. I had heard positive things about DoctorColorChip and, man, let me tell you, what a phenomenal product. I bought their cheapest starter kit (I believe it was approximately $60 with shipping) and it covered and matched PERFECTLY. The ONLY downside is that it simply paints over the chips, it doesn’t fill them in (even after multiple coats - you can get close, but not perfect). $60 isn’t cheap, but it filled a good 15 chips I had of varying sizes. I had 2 big ones I can still point out if I get close and look for them, but the rest I have no idea where they were.

Great product, if you’ve got a forgiving color (like your black). I’ve heard mixed reviews on the metallic colors. In the end, I just wanted the chips handled so it wouldn’t rust and didn’t stand out like a sore thumb. Worked great. 

• Thanks 1

Im filling mine with Dr. Colorchip as well.  Like Olvim said though it doesn't do a good job of filling them but it sure hides them good.  My truck is black too.  From a distance you cant tell but up close you can pin point them.  I think you'd be impressed with the product.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Olvim said:

Last winter I got stuck behind salt truck. My truck is white and it beat the hell out of it. I had heard positive things about DoctorColorChip and, man, let me tell you, what a phenomenal product. I bought their cheapest starter kit (I believe it was approximately $60 with shipping) and it covered and matched PERFECTLY. The ONLY downside is that it simply paints over the chips, it doesn’t fill them in (even after multiple coats - you can get close, but not perfect). $60 isn’t cheap, but it filled a good 15 chips I had of varying sizes. I had 2 big ones I can still point out if I get close and look for them, but the rest I have no idea where they were.

Great product, if you’ve got a forgiving color (like your black). I’ve heard mixed reviews on the metallic colors. In the end, I just wanted the chips handled so it wouldn’t rust and didn’t stand out like a sore thumb. Worked great. 

Thanks for the recommendation! I do in fact have a black truck, so I may just have to give that product a shot..

I am another user of DR Color Chip.  My truck is onyx black and is 90% highway driven.  Color match is perfect.  Their kits seem to do a decent job of filling in chips.  I purchased the basic kit; paint, solution, 2 or 3 brushes, glove, microfiber towel.

Edited by dougwtx
  • Like 1

I just ordered the squeegee kit, I was looking at the standard kit and was back and forth between the two. Ultimately decided to go with that kit since it stated it could treat “over 100” chips for only about $20 more. Figured I would have enough left over to take care of future chips, that I’m sure with inevitably happen.. 

Thanks again for the input and recommendations guys! I’m excited to get those pesky chips taken care of!

• Like 1

Glad you found the recommendations useful! The directions in the kit are easy to follow, and they have YouTube videos, too, for how to properly apply. Some big or deep chips will take a few coats. I hope you’ll be as satisfied as all of us were/seem to be.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1