SIlverado 1500 towing capacity

My family and I have begun looking at travel trailers. Of course the RV dealers will gladly sell us something that is way to heavy for me to pull, and I so I'm trying to due my "Due diligence." I have attached my build sheet that was provided by GM and my 2018 Silverado owner's manual.

Something that is throwing me off is that the owner's manual  (pages 302-317) does not show a 3.08 axel ratio matched with a 8- speed transmission.

Appreciate any help.

2018 Silverado - Build Sheet.PDF 2018-chevrolet-silverado-owners-manual.pdf

Thanks for the reply.

I have to question how accurate those calculators are. The VIN decoder they use shows my truck as having a V6 motor. That's completely wrong and a disqualifier for me.

I have the big sales brochure from my 2015:

For a Crew Cab, short box, 2WD with 5.3 engine and 3.08 axle, it says max conventional trailering is: 6,400 lbs.

It might vary by a couple hundred pounds for 2018, but its close to that.

edit:

now I found it in your owners manual, page 305, middle of the page.

You also have 6,400 lb max trailer weight.

Edited by aseibel

I agree that the 8spd should make a difference over the 6spd.  I'd give GM customer support a call/email and find your towing capacity.  I would also look at your payload posted in your door.  This will also be a consideration when selecting a trailer.  There are many nice "lighter" trailers on the market that will be within your towing limits.  I pull a dual axle 22 ft. Winnebago comfortably with my V6 (albeit 3.42)

25 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

I agree with aseibel's post, don't think it makes a difference between transmissions with the 3.08 rear end.

That gearing is just not set up to tow much weight, more for gas mileage. 

I don't know.  Didn't they change the max tow from 3.73 to 3.42 when they went from 6 spd to 8 spd?   I am not arguing but I believe increased gears may have an impact.  Hopefully our resident experts will speak up ?

42 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I have the big sales brochure from my 2015:

For a Crew Cab, short box, 2WD with 5.3 engine and 3.08 axle, it says max conventional trailering is: 6,400 lbs.

It might vary by a couple hundred pounds for 2018, but its close to that.

edit:

now I found it in your owners manual, page 305, middle of the page.

You also have 6,400 lb max trailer weight.

Thanks, for being a second set of eyes. I wish they would have included the 8-speed transmission with 3.08 axle in the list.

16 minutes ago, jsmith5207 said:

Thanks, for being a second set of eyes. I wish they would have included the 8-speed transmission with 3.08 axle in the list.

Disregard prior info.

Silverado with the eAssist option that you have is 6500lbs max trailering capacity with 2wd.  That is with the 8 speed and 3.08 gearing. 

If you had 4x4 and the eAssist package, you would have 3.42 gears and the 8 speed, with a tow capacity of 9100lbs.

Order guide tow page here:  https://www.autopartners.net/apps/eogld/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2018&regionID=1&divisionID=1&type=0&vehicleID=20987&section=trailer_specs&page=&butID=8

Edited by newdude

6 minutes ago, jsmith5207 said:

no problem. I'm guessing it was omitted because it does not make a difference. You are limited by your axle ratio. I have a 4WD with the 3.42. My max trailer is 9,200 lbs. I only have 6 spd tranny.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, newdude said:

8 speed with 3.08 is not a possible combination.  If you have the 8 speed, its either  3.23 or 3.42 rear gears.

But his build sheet lists both of them:

M5X - 8 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

GU4 - REAR AXLE 3.08 RATIO

10 minutes ago, aseibel said:

But his build sheet lists both of them:

M5X - 8 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

GU4 - REAR AXLE 3.08 RATIO

LOL that's what I get for not clicking the sheet.

So OP has an eAssist truck...that would explain the 8 speed/3.08 gears.  I've corrected my post above. 

Edited by newdude

Although it's not the news I hoped for, I believe I have accurate information now. I'll start looking for a 5,120 (6,400 X 80%) GVWR travel trailer. Just last weekend I had the folks at a local RV dealer try to sell me trailers with up to 5,800lbs dry weight.  I wonder how long my transmission would have held up in the Texas summer heat pulling those weights?

Thanks everyone for your input.