Audio question

Is anyone having trouble with Apple CarPlay? Specifically the truck charging the phone via lightning cable but not activating CarPlay? Also does anyone know if a way to increase the size of the wireless charging pad on the center console? I have an iPhone 11 and 2016 Sierra

I know on my Silverado built 12/15, it was advertised as Android Auto/Car Play capable but I needed to have my Chevy dealer update the radio software before it would work. I did mine shortly after buying in Apr 2016 and it didnt cost anything. Not sure if it would still be a free service for a 2016 GMC now.

25 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Probably stupid question, but did you set up CarPlay to be on in the MYLink (radio)?

I’m not sure what MyLink is. I do have CarPlay installed and my phone connects sometimes. But most of the time I have to restart the phone for it to recognize CarPlay and not just charge. 

4 minutes ago, Deus13 said:

I’m not sure what MyLink is. I do have CarPlay installed and my phone connects sometimes. But most of the time I have to restart the phone for it to recognize CarPlay and not just charge. 

Are you using an apple charging cable to connect?

24 minutes ago, Deus13 said:

MyLink is your factory radio, where you set up all of the different settings for the truck.

Does your screen look like this when it is working?

See the source image

Edited by JimCost2014

I think he's saying that it works sometimes and doesn't work other times.

with the recent updates to iOS, I've noticed the system is pretty glitchy on kicking over to carplay sometimes.

usually, it works no problem, sometimes I have to remove the lightning cable and give it another shot.

make sure that you have synched to MyLink in your <general/carplay> settings menu.

ONLY 20 vehicle lines on the road support wireless carplay (most are BMW/Audi/Mini Cooper, no GM models support carplay wireless)

15 minutes ago, rbrjr1 said:

make sure that you have synched to MyLink in your <general/carplay> settings menu.

That is what I suggested earlier, that it is a two step process.

Good call on the lighting cable, forgot that everything has to be "plugged" into the truck to work. Just do it out of habit, not even thinking about it.

20 minutes ago, Deus13 said:

I have MyLink set up there that and am using a regular iPhone cable. I thinks it’s a GM software issue because my buddies 2017 F250 has no connectivity issues what so ever. 

I would check with your local dealership to confirm that you have the current/correct software.

Other thing that helps sometimes is to completely "unpair" your phone from the truck, and start with a fresh pairing.

Use "forget this device" on your phone's settings, then start from scratch.

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

I would check with your local dealership to confirm that you have the current/correct software.

Other thing that helps sometimes is to completely "unpair" your phone from the truck, and start with a fresh pairing.

Use "forget this device" on your phone's settings, then start from scratch.

I’ll ask them when I take it in next week for the brake recall. It’s not really a huge problem to have have CarPlay work just a nuisance cause I feel like how expensive trucks are things should work lol

Just now, Deus13 said:

I’ll ask them when I take it in next week for the brake recall. It’s not really a huge problem to have have CarPlay work just a nuisance cause I feel like how expensive trucks are things should work lol

Completely agree with that statement, it can be frustrating at times.

Good luck on the fix, maybe you still can solve the problem before you take it in.