What tuning changes are needed to run E85 on the 2015 6.2

Only thing I’m looking to gain is a cleanup, hasn’t stained the tip of my stainless steel exhaust pipe since I’ve started mixing E85 and runs great! There seems to be a slight improvement in throttle response, noticed my 6.2 being a bit more snappy and chirping tires more frequently since I’ve been mixing it. Again, main reason I’m mixing it is for its cleaning properties. Lots of people swear by it, I too have noticed it. I’m sure it would need specific tuning to get the most out of it but I didn’t buy this truck to race it, I’d get into something factory supercharged if that was the case.

Sent from Above

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I keep getting mixed answers and there seems to be people here that may be able to answer my question. On the non Flex 5.3 trucks is it just the sensor that is required? Or is a tune absolutely necessary to move over the flex tables as was mentioned for the 6.2 owner in this thread? I have seen at least two other threads where people have said the sensor was recognized automatically in the 5.3 trucks, and several who say tuning has to be done.  I have a 2018 5.3 6 speed non flex.I Have the sensor and lines ready to install, and would rather not tune right now if it isn’t necessary.

47 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

A tune is a must, there is no way around that.

Flex fuel is disabled from the factory and none of the correct parameters are populated within the tune from the get go.

Thank you for the response. Just to clarify for myself and anyone who comes across this searching for info, that goes for both the 5.3 and 6.2 trucks correct? It was a 5.3 owner that swore the sensor was reading automatically on a 2017. It would make sense to me for the flex and non flex to have the same tuning from the factory just different hardware (sensor). 

2 hours ago, okiepumper92 said:

Thank you for the response. Just to clarify for myself and anyone who comes across this searching for info, that goes for both the 5.3 and 6.2 trucks correct? It was a 5.3 owner that swore the sensor was reading automatically on a 2017. It would make sense to me for the flex and non flex to have the same tuning from the factory just different hardware (sensor). 

Yes, for both engines a tune is required to turn on the tables to run E85.  Those that said it isn't my question would be how do they know unless they can see it in their tune.  I added the sensor to our 2016 Suburban and then had Black Bear Performance tune it.  After the tune was installed, I sent them back a data log for him to confirm that the ECM was seeing what the sensor was reading the E85.

Running E85 without a tune with sensor doesn't do anything but give you a cleaner burning engine and is not recommended to run it 100%.  I mix it at no more than a 50/50 mix on my non flex fuel 2002 Silverado 5.3.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Yes, for both engines a tune is required to turn on the tables to run E85.  Those that said it isn't my question would be how do they know unless they can see it in their tune.  I added the sensor to our 2016 Suburban and then had Black Bear Performance tune it.  After the tune was installed, I sent them back a data log for him to confirm that the ECM was seeing what the sensor was reading the E85.

Running E85 without a tune with sensor doesn't do anything but give you a cleaner burning engine and is not recommended to run it 100%.  I mix it at no more than a 50/50 mix on my non flex fuel 2002 Silverado 5.3.

I can’t find the thread again but apparently they could feel the “gainz” lmao. I found this last night, Proof that a tune is required.