What tuning changes are needed to run E85 on the 2015 6.2

I am ordering the parts and sensor to run E85 for my 2015 6.2 today.  I plan on getting a full dyno tune with trans tuning etc later, but for now I want to just enable what I need to be able to run E85.  I know in HPTuners set Fuel Sensor to "Sensor" and FlexFuel to "Enabled", what else is needed to be able to run E85 on the 6.2 until I get the dyno tune done?

1 minute ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

It is auto calculate for it and "work" but in tune you can clean it all up and adjust your ve based on the e85. Honestly you should just do it all at one time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So I'd be better off just waiting until I can get in for the full tune and enable it then basically?

Yes. For hot you have to unlock the pcm and if needed also the tcm. So if you are paying to have it tuned or dynoed may as well have same guy do it. If is easy but still if you do not have ability to do it may as well let it happen at same time.

A quick rundown off the top of my head on non flex fuel vehicles.

Enable sensor.

Turn on sensor diagnostic.

Enable DTC trouble codes for sensor.

Setup the Flex Fuel settings in the tune. Stock is something like 10% min and 10% max ethanol content. I change the max to 85%.

Factory stoich table is set to 14.1, you need to copy over a stock stoich table from a flex fuel truck. The rest as said is done with a tune. Said tuner can adjust power enrichment fueling, flex fuel spark correction tables and lots of other stuff.

A quick rundown off the top of my head on non flex fuel vehicles.

Enable sensor.
Turn on sensor diagnostic.
Enable DTC trouble codes for sensor.
Setup the Flex Fuel settings in the tune. Stock is something like 10% min and 10% max ethanol content. I change the max to 85%.

Factory stoich table is set to 14.1, you need to copy over a stock stoich table from a flex fuel truck. The rest as said is done with a tune. Said tuner can adjust power enrichment fueling, flex fuel spark correction tables and lots of other stuff.
You work to hard. But you are correct in those items.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:03 PM, Jacoby said:

You can run E85 in it and be fine without changing anything. It’s not gonna blow up or break down. 

run your tank down to empty. Fill up with E85 and head to the tuner. Let them do everything at once. 

Won't running E85 in it without the sensor and FlexFuel enabled in the PCM cause a lean condition?

If you already have HP tuner and added a flex fuel sensor.  Here is a video on how to enable through HP tuner.

Pmoore4321 also has a video on how to add a flex fuel sensor for about 60 buck.  I did it on my L86 and it worked great.  I just had to move the sensor to the connection above the front of the tank.

Won't running E85 in it without the sensor and FlexFuel enabled in the PCM cause a lean condition?
Yes and also no. You need more e85 fuel to run. But the vehicle can't see that is is e85. But you have low and high octane so if you had knock it would drop into low octane. This is after it tried to add some fuel and then adjust(reduce) the throttle body to learn why it can't keep up. This is all assuming the power level of the vehicle is push the fuel that hard. But I would assume it would drop into limp mode.
Lots of buts and assumptions.[emoji17]

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Yes and also no. You need more e85 fuel to run. But the vehicle can't see that is is e85. But you have low and high octane so if you had knock it would drop into low octane. This is after it tried to add some fuel and then adjust(reduce) the throttle body to learn why it can't keep up. This is all assuming the power level of the vehicle is push the fuel that hard. But I would assume it would drop into limp mode.
Lots of buts and assumptions.emoji17.png

That is exactly what I figured would happen since the tables aren't currently setup for looking for E85.

Are you looking to strictly run E85? Thanks to “black02silverado” I’ve got an 18 6.2, SuperChips tuned to 91+, pump in about 7-8 gallons of E85 then chase it with 93. Never have any issues, very quick! Was quick to begin with but noticed a bit of snap here and there lol.

Sent from Above

8 hours ago, kgkern01 said:

It definitely won’t run all that good. Notice That’s why I said fill up with E85 then head straight to the tuner

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Are you looking to strictly run E85? Thanks to “black02silverado” I’ve got an 18 6.2, SuperChips tuned to 91+, pump in about 7-8 gallons of E85 then chase it with 93. Never have any issues, very quick! Was quick to begin with but noticed a bit of snap here and there lol.

Sent from Above

Just like him you gained nothing from running that fuel. It’s all in your head buddy.