Aluminum Tailgate loading question.

Do I need to worry about loading an 800 series ATV into the bed. Ive purchased the DGM tailgate support bars to ease the tension on the cables but the inner tailgate skin and maybe even the entire tailgate seems alot less sturdy than other trucks Ive owned. Somebody has had to try this already, I read about someone with a busted weld, whats the story with loading and holding cargo like this ? Thanks    Peter

2 hours ago, Boner Fortuna said:

Do I need to worry about loading an 800 series ATV into the bed. Ive purchased the DGM tailgate support bars to ease the tension on the cables but the inner tailgate skin and maybe even the entire tailgate seems alot less sturdy than other trucks Ive owned. Somebody has had to try this already, I read about someone with a busted weld, whats the story with loading and holding cargo like this ? Thanks    Peter

What is the total weight of the ATV (ATV and fluids)?

With a rider its close to 1000. So driving up the ramp you get all 1000 on the brackets which I think is OK. Where I'm concerned is when two wheels cross over the gate into the bed, that's got to be 500 and then once in, I think the back wheels will have to stay on the open tailgate.These two parts are where I'm most concerned about the inner skin collapsing. Surely there's someone who's had a heavy payload in a situation like this.....

Thanks

So I am not sure total weight I had on the tailgate, but I have had issues with this. I was picking up boards for replacing my deck ( I should have used a trailer) and I had to have over loaded the tailgate.  Now the drive was not far, but when I got home and closed the tailgate it had actually flexed the backup camera/tailgate button assembly out of the tailgate.  Luckily it popped right back in and have had no issues, but these tailgates are definitely not as strong as the older generations.  The load of an ATV will be closer to the support bars you will be using, but I would keep an eye out for tailgate flex.

• 3 years later...

Well I just had a big issue with mine.  I have a 21 Silverado.  Had noticed since new that any time I loaded anything into the truck with the gate down, my camera assembly would pop out.  Well big issue arose this past weekend while hauling my snowmobile.  The side of the gate broke a weld due to the machine sitting on it.  

20230409_205840tail gate 5.jpg

20230409_205831tail gate 4.jpg

20230409_192644tail gate 3.jpg

20230409_192638tail gate 2.jpg

20230409_192634tail gate1.jpg

Bummer... I expect we will see this more often. The tailgate is a prime candidate for weight savings engineering. I've never witnessed a failed tailgate on a square body or GMT400. GMT 800s the cables would break. 

Seems like early on they were 'over engineered' because some loads would inherently be placed right on the end during loading or unloading. As trucks became used less for load carrying that safety margin becomes less relevant. As a percentage of users those loading the tailgates like this are negligible. 

I'd bet a tailgate from a 92 model truck could hold more than from 2022 - I'd bet 500 lbs more... any takers?

Another big issue is that the tailgate is not removed easily due to power latch and camera, etc.

When loading heavy pallets on older trucks, the tailgate was easily removed so a forklift could set the load onto the bed, NOT the tailgate.  ...The forklift could then push the pallet further onto the bed.  ....Heavy loads placed on the tailgate only strained the support cables, not the tailgate itself.

I bought my truck as a WORK truck.  ....Many of the "features" make my work more difficult.

While the trend is to raising the height of these trucks, the tailgate height of my '21 W/T is 4" higher than my '88 or '98.  ....That makes a huge difference when lifting heavy objects.   ....Bed sides are also higher which makes reaching over the sides almost impossible (I'm 6'-1").  ....Certainly not conducive for a WORK truck!